Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing an update that will improve performance of the Touch ID sensor on its iPhone 5s handset, claims AppleInsider. Apple has tapped its AuthenTec team to eliminate "fade", a term coined to describe the increasingly erratic performance of the fingerprint sensor that is experienced by some iPhone 5s owners.
After launching iPhone 5s last fall, Apple has continued to work with the original AuthenTec team to improve its recognition software and will release an update relatively soon, the source confidently reported. However, AppleInsider could not verify whether the update will ship as part of iOS 7.1, which is expected to drop in mid-March.
Issues with Touch ID surfaced shortly after the iPhone 5s was introduced, with owners reporting an increasing number of failed scans shortly after they enter their fingerprints. Deleting and rescanning a fingerprint only temporarily fixes the issue.

touchid.jpg
iPhone 5s owners have devised creative homemade fixes that include scanning the same fingerprint five times and overtraining the sensor for improved accuracy, but these are workarounds that don't address the underlying problem.

Apple introduced Touch ID in the iPhone 5s and promoted the technology in an ad campaign that appeared in The New Yorker, Sports Illustrated and other print newspapers and magazines. Apple obtained the fingerprint scanning technology when it acquired AuthenTec in 2012.

Article Link: Apple Readying Fix for Issues with Touch ID Fading

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Interesting - I wonder how widespread the problem is. If its software related, would seem more people would have problems. Or perhaps I'm one of the few who has a launch day 5S and hasn't experienced "fade".

Glad we've done away with the "----gate" naming though! ;):p:D

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Glad to see a fix is coming. I've had two 5S phones and both of them have had this problem. Just had to go through last night and re-setup my fingerprints.

Very cool feature when it actually works, but it definitely has steered towards not for me for the most part.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Apple should have included voice biometrics on their phones - considering Siri is already on there, it would have been a natural progression.

Would have been good to offer users a fall back authentication mechanism, or where touch isn't suitable (i.e. in the car, in the pocket, etc.)

djplaxe2109

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
I always attributed any issue I had with my sweaty or dirty fingers. It's been reliable for me, just not after I go for a run or eat ribs.

giraffle

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Though it was incredibly annoying when I couldn't figure out why my fingerprints stopped working, once I scanned both thumbs twice I've had so few failures to scan I can count them on one hand.

That said, I'd love for this tech to work as intended.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Weird. I have 3 fingers registered and almost never have a failed scan

Yep. I find this hard to believe, quite honestly. I think a lot of it is the weather changing to cold right after the 5s came out. I personally need a set of summer prints and winter prints. No issues.

Anything's possible, though. I'm just full of dubiousness...

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I have noticed slightly decreased accuracy or marginally longer unlock delays, but nothing extreme. Typically works on second attempt if not the first.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Would have been good to offer users a fall back authentication mechanism, or where touch isn't suitable (i.e. in the car, in the pocket, etc.)

You mean like entering a 4-digit passcode? :p

(Granted that isn't the ideal solution for the two scenarios you mentioned...)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Works for me 90-95% of the time. And I come from a cold climate with dry hands. But good to see they're working on improving accuracy. Can't wait for this to come to iPad. I love the functionality and it will be even better once something like mobile payments are tied to it.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
You mean like entering a 4-digit passcode? :p

(Granted that isn't the ideal solution for the two scenarios you mentioned...)

Technically you're not supposed to be punching in the pass code when you're driving :) Also its a bit hard to "type" a code when the phone is in a pocket - especially during the winter!

I mean what would it cost Apple, considering they have Siri and could license voice biometrics from Nuance.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I noticed the sensor 'shifting'. I have to keep moving my thumb up slowly each day it seems for it to register.

Unless my prints are shifting.

But that cannot be....

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
My hands are so dry and cracked from the severe cold this winter season in Chicago that I haven't been able to use the scanner since the 5s first launched.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.

What on earth are you talking about? It's so much of a benefit for me that I click home buttons on none touch id devices and wait for them to unlock.

Jeff3f

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
when it works, touchID is better than sliced bread because it lets me keep the phone locked and I don't enter pass codes often at all. a 7 character passcode for example, entered maybe 20 times a day. that adds up, and makes me less likely to go to the phone for something. I occasionally have to re-scan a few times, but usually it works on first try. I have to retry at least a few times a day, and I have to enter a passcode (because of too many touchID fails) once a week or so, which is maddening.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
What on earth are you talking about? It's so much of a benefit for me that I click home buttons on none touch id devices and wait for them to unlock.

Me too. I also find myself trying to scan my print to return to the home screen!

I know a jailbreak tweak can do it, but it should be standard.

No physical clicking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.