Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Readying Fix for Issues with Touch ID Fading

Apple is preparing an update that will improve performance of the Touch ID sensor on its iPhone 5s handset, claims AppleInsider. Apple has tapped its AuthenTec team to eliminate "fade", a term coined to describe the increasingly erratic performance of the fingerprint sensor that is experienced by some iPhone 5s owners.
Quote:
After launching iPhone 5s last fall, Apple has continued to work with the original AuthenTec team to improve its recognition software and will release an update relatively soon, the source confidently reported. However, AppleInsider could not verify whether the update will ship as part of iOS 7.1, which is expected to drop in mid-March.
Issues with Touch ID surfaced shortly after the iPhone 5s was introduced, with owners reporting an increasing number of failed scans shortly after they enter their fingerprints. Deleting and rescanning a fingerprint only temporarily fixes the issue.

iPhone 5s owners have devised creative homemade fixes that include scanning the same fingerprint five times and overtraining the sensor for improved accuracy, but these are workarounds that don't address the underlying problem.

Apple introduced Touch ID in the iPhone 5s and promoted the technology in an ad campaign that appeared in The New Yorker, Sports Illustrated and other print newspapers and magazines. Apple obtained the fingerprint scanning technology when it acquired AuthenTec in 2012.

Article Link: Apple Readying Fix for Issues with Touch ID Fading
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:32 AM   #2
lewisd25
macrumors 6502

Finally.
lewisd25 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:32 AM   #3
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Interesting - I wonder how widespread the problem is. If its software related, would seem more people would have problems. Or perhaps I'm one of the few who has a launch day 5S and hasn't experienced "fade".

Glad we've done away with the "----gate" naming though!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 AM   #4
5aga
macrumors 6502

had this issue.. I just assumed it was a jb tweak i installed that caused the problem
5aga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 AM   #5
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Glad to see a fix is coming. I've had two 5S phones and both of them have had this problem. Just had to go through last night and re-setup my fingerprints.

Very cool feature when it actually works, but it definitely has steered towards not for me for the most part.
ugahairydawgs is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 AM   #6
netdoc66
macrumors regular

No we haven't!

Fade-gate!!! Fade-gate!!! Fade-gate!!! Fade-gate!!! Fade-gate!!! Fade-gate!!!
netdoc66 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 AM   #7
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Apple should have included voice biometrics on their phones - considering Siri is already on there, it would have been a natural progression.

Would have been good to offer users a fall back authentication mechanism, or where touch isn't suitable (i.e. in the car, in the pocket, etc.)
coolspot18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 AM   #8
djplaxe2109
macrumors 6502

I always attributed any issue I had with my sweaty or dirty fingers. It's been reliable for me, just not after I go for a run or eat ribs.
djplaxe2109 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:35 AM   #9
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502a

Is more a problem of fingers getting wet: think sweaty or recently washed.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:35 AM   #10
djplaxe2109
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Apple should have included voice biometrics on their phones - considering Siri is already on there, it would have been a natural progression.
Too much innovation for one iOS upgrade.
djplaxe2109 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:37 AM   #11
l3it3r
macrumors member

Weird. I have 3 fingers registered and almost never have a failed scan
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:37 AM   #12
giraffle
macrumors newbie

Though it was incredibly annoying when I couldn't figure out why my fingerprints stopped working, once I scanned both thumbs twice I've had so few failures to scan I can count them on one hand.

That said, I'd love for this tech to work as intended.
giraffle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:39 AM   #13
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3it3r View Post
Weird. I have 3 fingers registered and almost never have a failed scan
Yep. I find this hard to believe, quite honestly. I think a lot of it is the weather changing to cold right after the 5s came out. I personally need a set of summer prints and winter prints. No issues.

Anything's possible, though. I'm just full of dubiousness...
WilliamG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:40 AM   #14
brewno
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to brewno Send a message via Skype™ to brewno
Every month I have to redo my scans. It's like my fingerprints change, lol. Glad there will be a fix.

MacBook Pro 2.9GHz i7, iPad Mini 64Gb, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPod 60Gb, iPod Hi-Fi, Apple TV 40Gb
brewno is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:42 AM   #15
springsup
macrumors 6502a

I have noticed slightly decreased accuracy or marginally longer unlock delays, but nothing extreme. Typically works on second attempt if not the first.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:43 AM   #16
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Would have been good to offer users a fall back authentication mechanism, or where touch isn't suitable (i.e. in the car, in the pocket, etc.)
You mean like entering a 4-digit passcode?

(Granted that isn't the ideal solution for the two scenarios you mentioned...)
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Works for me 90-95% of the time. And I come from a cold climate with dry hands. But good to see they're working on improving accuracy. Can't wait for this to come to iPad. I love the functionality and it will be even better once something like mobile payments are tied to it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:43 AM   #18
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:44 AM   #19
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
You mean like entering a 4-digit passcode?

(Granted that isn't the ideal solution for the two scenarios you mentioned...)
Technically you're not supposed to be punching in the pass code when you're driving Also its a bit hard to "type" a code when the phone is in a pocket - especially during the winter!

I mean what would it cost Apple, considering they have Siri and could license voice biometrics from Nuance.
coolspot18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:45 AM   #20
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

I noticed the sensor 'shifting'. I have to keep moving my thumb up slowly each day it seems for it to register.

Unless my prints are shifting.

But that cannot be....
Binarymix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:45 AM   #21
Prof.
macrumors 601

My hands are so dry and cracked from the severe cold this winter season in Chicago that I haven't been able to use the scanner since the 5s first launched.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:45 AM   #22
wankey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.
What on earth are you talking about? It's so much of a benefit for me that I click home buttons on none touch id devices and wait for them to unlock.
wankey is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:49 AM   #23
Jeff3f
macrumors member

when it works, touchID is better than sliced bread because it lets me keep the phone locked and I don't enter pass codes often at all. a 7 character passcode for example, entered maybe 20 times a day. that adds up, and makes me less likely to go to the phone for something. I occasionally have to re-scan a few times, but usually it works on first try. I have to retry at least a few times a day, and I have to enter a passcode (because of too many touchID fails) once a week or so, which is maddening.
Jeff3f is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:51 AM   #24
l3it3r
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
And here I am thinking the exact opposite. I won't buy anything else from them unless it has touchid!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:51 AM   #25
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankey View Post
What on earth are you talking about? It's so much of a benefit for me that I click home buttons on none touch id devices and wait for them to unlock.
Me too. I also find myself trying to scan my print to return to the home screen!

I know a jailbreak tweak can do it, but it should be standard.

No physical clicking!
Binarymix is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion