Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Retail Stores Pushing Sales of Current Apple TV with $25 iTunes Gift Card Offer

With rumors of a new Apple TV set-top box swirling, Apple's brick and mortar stores have launched a one-week promotion offering customers who purchase the current model a $25 iTunes Store gift card, reports 9to5Mac.

The promotion naturally sparks speculation that Apple is trying to clear stock of the current model ahead of new hardware. A recent report from Bloomberg claimed, however, that while Apple was aiming for an April introduction of the new Apple TV, a launch would not come until much later in the year around the holiday shopping season.

The Apple TV recently received added prominence in the Apple online store with its own major heading as opposed to its previous placement as an accessory, suggesting that Apple may be laying the groundwork to move the Apple TV from its longtime "hobby" status to a full-fledged product on par with its other lines.

Apple has reportedly considered a new set-top box that would combine the features of the current Apple TV with the Wi-Fi router features of the existing AirPort Express. The new Apple TV could also leverage iOS devices and Bluetooth accessories as game controllers for a potential Apple TV App Store, while also adding an Apple software layer on top of users' existing cable television services. Apple has also reportedly been in talks with Time Warner Cable about a potential content deal.

The new gift card offer on the existing Apple TV runs through March 5 and is currently not offered on the Apple online store. As with all iTunes gift cards, the credit can be used in any of Apple's digital content stores, including the iTunes Store, App Store, Mac App Store, and iBooks Store.

Update 8:20 AM: Apple has now posted the Terms and Conditions [PDF] for the offer, indicating that it is valid both in-store and online, but only in the United States.

Update 3:07 PM: Notable Apple journalist Jim Dalrymple has said that a new Apple TV release is not imminent despite the gift card promotion.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Pushing Sales of Current Apple TV with $25 iTunes Gift Card Offer
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Sky Blue

Any moment now... It's a-comin.

Will it beat Amazon's box to market?

Last edited by Sky Blue; Feb 28, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:52 AM   #3
mrongey
macrumors newbie

I knew this would happen! I just bought one from Best Buy two days ago!
mrongey is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Dear Apple,

Please get rid of my crummy expensive cable TV already, and give me a better UI than Youtube to watch things I'm actually interested in in its place.

Thanks
Z400Racer37 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:53 AM   #5
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Perhaps they are giving the $25 itunes gift card so people can use it in the App store that will be announced for Apple TV. I highly doubt Apple will announce a product in April and not release until the Holidays, unless the holiday is easter. That is not an Apple thing to do as interest fizzles with time, competitors launch clones, and sales of existing models plummet. Even if it is a hobby Apple would rather sell their existing model as long as they can if they aren't releasing hardware until Christmas 2014
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Apple Retail Stores Pushing Sales of Current Apple TV with $25 iTunes Gift Ca...

Very interesting. My only concern with a new revamped Apple TV is a price hike. If it adds an App Store and some other features I can see Apple jacking up the price. Right now the ATV is great because it's only $99.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:55 AM   #7
redscull
macrumors 6502

I am finally guying to buy an Apple TV as soon as they add this feature, which I want more than anything else:
I push AirPlay on my iOS device, and in <1 second, I see that content on the tv.

I don't care if it's mirroring an app or streaming a 2GB video, it needs to be instant. Waiting 2+ minutes to so that it can buffer a 3 minute long home video from my photos app is just useless, and the primary reason I don't yet have an Apple TV.
redscull is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:55 AM   #8
ksnell
macrumors member

I love new hardware! Come onnnn update!
ksnell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37 View Post
Dear Apple,

Please get rid of my crummy expensive cable TV already, and give me a better UI than Youtube to watch things I'm actually interested in in its place.

Thanks
Not going to happen. The TV apps want you to verify your cable provider before giving you access. The TV industry saw the cable cutters coming so they made it you had to log in to your cable company to use these apps.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:59 AM   #10
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Yeah apple really knows how to make a bargain when they want to get rid of a product.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:03 AM   #11
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

Yes, hopefully I can get a new Apple TV in March

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:03 AM   #12
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502

And who knows what else may accompany the refresh. Maybe the Macbooks will update.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:04 AM   #13
MikeyMike01
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscull View Post
I am finally guying to buy an Apple TV as soon as they add this feature, which I want more than anything else:
I push AirPlay on my iOS device, and in <1 second, I see that content on the tv.

I don't care if it's mirroring an app or streaming a 2GB video, it needs to be instant. Waiting 2+ minutes to so that it can buffer a 3 minute long home video from my photos app is just useless, and the primary reason I don't yet have an Apple TV.
Umm, mine is already instant? Even with the Apple TV already off, it takes five seconds tops.

Maybe your network is the problem?
MikeyMike01 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:06 AM   #14
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

over the air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Not going to happen. The TV apps want you to verify your cable provider before giving you access. The TV industry saw the cable cutters coming so they made it you had to log in to your cable company to use these apps.
Which is just weird. If you live somewhere and have an antenna hooked up to your TV and get these stations, it's not possible for you to verify.

This will have to change eventually. But probably not soon enough...

Gary
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:07 AM   #15
macduke
macrumors 68030

I think it would be neat if Apple offered two versions of the Apple TV: one that handles streaming channels similar to the current model, and one with beefier specs (that costs more) that can run games using iPhone and Bluetooth controllers, along with the same streaming TV channel functionality. It would be cool if you could quickly switch between gaming and TV like Xbox One. It would be doubly cool if it had Siri capability—as I find the voice commands on Xbox One to be pretty awful.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:08 AM   #16
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Umm, mine is already instant? Even with the Apple TV already off, it takes five seconds tops.

Maybe your network is the problem?
Agreed. That sounds like 'his' network. If the ATV is on it is instant, and even from an off state it is ~5 seconds.
mattopotamus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:09 AM   #17
Reason077
macrumors 65816

An Airport base station combined with Apple TV in the same hardware could end up being a security nightmare, especially if such a device allowed apps!
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Alumeenium
macrumors regular

broken UI, too many pointless channels
no way to store content, (like the old model)
no thanks it's a useless as a watch, when we all have smart phones
Alumeenium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:13 AM   #19
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumeenium View Post
broken UI, too many pointless channels
Agree with you on these two points.

It's weird, the Apple TV has been through several UI iterations over the years, but I still think the original UI was the best in many ways.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:13 AM   #20
Bearxor
macrumors 6502

Clearance sale!!!
Bearxor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:14 AM   #21
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Perhaps they are giving the $25 itunes gift card so people can use it in the App store that will be announced for Apple TV. I highly doubt Apple will announce a product in April and not release until the Holidays, unless the holiday is easter. That is not an Apple thing to do as interest fizzles with time, competitors launch clones, and sales of existing models plummet. Even if it is a hobby Apple would rather sell their existing model as long as they can if they aren't releasing hardware until Christmas 2014
Sounds like an app-store model will finally arrive to the Apple TV. They will probably launch a new hardware which includes more storage. I'm thinking 16GB and 32GB versions to store games and apps - content will still be streamed. No app store will be given to existing ATV owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied22 View Post
Very interesting. My only concern with a new revamped Apple TV is a price hike. If it adds an App Store and some other features I can see Apple jacking up the price. Right now the ATV is great because it's only $99.
There will most likely be a $99 ATV w/ no app store, a $149 ATV with 16GB and a $199 ATV w/ 32GB.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Agree with you on these two points.

It's weird, the Apple TV has been through several UI iterations over the years, but I still think the original UI was the best in many ways.
Nonsense - the new UI is extremely better. However, with the additional stations added it has become cluttered. I'm sure Apple has figured out this mess with the next major ATV software release.
unplugme71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:18 AM   #22
The Economist
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscull View Post

That's more likely a problem with your internet connection or your router.
The Economist is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:19 AM   #23
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvictor7 View Post
And who knows what else may accompany the refresh. Maybe the Macbooks will update.
I like how you did that.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:19 AM   #24
monaarts
macrumors 65816

To me this sounds like a push to get a larger number of people using AppleTV so they can justify the AppleTV Store on it. Think, if they currently have 30 million AppleTVs being used but can increase that number to 50 million in the next few months - they can use that as leverage to persuade developers to create apps for it. ;-)
monaarts is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:20 AM   #25
davidbrummy
macrumors regular

Need to fix multiple Airplay issue

I got given a new AppleTv for Christmas. I had the original one and loved it. Put multiple Speakers throughout the house connected via Airport Expresses. Like a lot of people I was really disappointed when I tried the new one and it only allowed music to be streamed to one speaker.

Also if I connected it to my iTunes account there was no way of making it ask for my password before purchases. A big issue with kids in the house.

Now it sits on top of my first gen Apple TV unplugged.

David

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion