Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:51 AM   #26
Kabeyun
macrumors regular

At least it appears to be a software issue and not a hardware issue.
Kabeyun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:54 AM   #27
Codyak
macrumors 6502

I've noticed this issue, I'm glad they are trying to fix it.
Codyak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:56 AM   #28
azentropy
macrumors 65816

As I posted in another thread - My original iPhone 5s worked 90-95% of the time. I dropped it a couple of weeks ago and got a replacement. I can't remember my new one ever failing except when I deliberately tried to get it to fail (using a different finger). I am running 7.1beta, but was on the previous phone as well.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:56 AM   #29
jeff1977
macrumors regular

I've had to redo my prints a couple times since September, quickly learned to do 2 for each thumb. Once in a while it doesn't let me in, but it's rare. Yesterday, however, it kep saying Try Again over and over (it didn't change to Slide to Unlock). I tried both thumbs multiple times. I know I could've just entered my passcode but I wanted to know if I would have to reset my prints. I ended up pressing the Home button and it let me in! I said to myself 'wow, great security Apple!' In retrospect I don't think just anyone could've got in- what I think happened was that it did read and accept my print, but there was a bug/glitch where it wouldn't take me to the Home screen. At least I hope!

To the poster who mentioned Siri in the car/voice metrics- I'd like to add that I wish they would implement a voice activation for Siri (apparently you can only do it with a jailbreak). My hands free experience while driving isn't currently 100% hands free. I know what people are thinking- 'well then your battery life would drain because Siri would always be listening, which is also creepy' but if there was a toggle in Control Center for voice activated Siri for when you get in your car, that would be awesome and give me a truly hands free, non-distracted driving experience.
jeff1977 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:56 AM   #30
Bazooka-joe
macrumors 6502

Had mine since launch day and never had a problem. I just wish they would sort out the swipe to answer issue
Bazooka-joe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:59 AM   #31
rockstarjoe
macrumors 6502a

I have this issue, and it frustrated me so much that I eventually turned TouchID off. I always assumed it was something weird about my fingers.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:00 AM   #32
0ldsnake1
macrumors newbie

Never had any major issues with Touch ID, Though the update is appreciated.
0ldsnake1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:03 AM   #33
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Mine fades within seconds after entering new fingerprints, not weeks.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:05 AM   #34
jeff1977
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.
Haha Such hyperbole!
Not a mistake at all and not even close to the worst mistake they've made. Letting Bill Gates see Macintosh code comes to mind (if I'm right on how that went down), and of far less impact- MobileMe. Not to mention all the mistakes during the non-Jobs years.
jeff1977 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:05 AM   #35
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

I used it for about a week, good but not great, but I don't use a passcode anyway

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:05 AM   #36
dojoman
macrumors 6502a

I fixed this issue myself. Register same finger twice in Touch ID. So far it works for weeks, normally, after a week it will fail but still working.
dojoman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:05 AM   #37
xizdun
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewno View Post
Every month I have to redo my scans. It's like my fingerprints change, lol. Glad there will be a fix.
I think fingerprints do change, not literally change into different fingerprints, more in a way that AuthenTec hadn't anticipated—old skin making way for new layers of skin, resulting in different readings by the Touch ID sensor and increased failure rate.
xizdun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:08 AM   #38
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Now if only Touch ID would work for my iTunes purchases. I've tried disabling and then re-enabling. It still asks for a password. Quite annoying.
jbachandouris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:09 AM   #39
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
I thought maybe the issue was with my finger. I mean my hands and fingers get dry and sometime the outer layer might get damaged.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:15 AM   #40
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I've rescanned once with my 5s, and that was only to add a lower-right thumb scan. The only times I have an issue are if my fingertips are wet from washing my hands.

I'll be more excited when they fix my daily random soft-reboots and safari crashing every other use on the iPad Air.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:15 AM   #41
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Interesting - I wonder how widespread the problem is. If its software related, would seem more people would have problems. Or perhaps I'm one of the few who has a launch day 5S and hasn't experienced "fade".

Glad we've done away with the "----gate" naming though!
guess you haven't heard of touch-gate?

Its amazing how many things can be fixed with a software update these days.
unplugme71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:16 AM   #42
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.
Guess you never heard of Pippin
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:16 AM   #43
mashinhead
macrumors 68020

I don't even use this 'feature' anymore its so useless. Its just like Siri.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:17 AM   #44
jekyl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Interesting - I wonder how widespread the problem is. If its software related, would seem more people would have problems. Or perhaps I'm one of the few who has a launch day 5S and hasn't experienced "fade".

Glad we've done away with the "----gate" naming though!
I've never had a problem with it either.
jekyl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:20 AM   #45
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
Now if only Touch ID would work for my iTunes purchases. I've tried disabling and then re-enabling. It still asks for a password. Quite annoying.
It works but Apple put a stupid requirement that if you haven't used TouchID purchase something within 2 days (or something), it will ask you for your password.

Which is asinine because, who buys something every other day from iTunes/App store? Also, if you have TouchID setup, you already have to unlock your iPhone (either with TouchID or passcode), so why wouldn't using your fingerprint work to purchase after you already unlocked your iPhone??
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:20 AM   #46
street.cory
macrumors 6502

One problem I am having is Touch ID not activating at all.

I have to use my passcode probably 2/10 times due to Touch ID not activating.

street.cory is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:21 AM   #47
nazaar
macrumors 6502

This is why you should be wary of being an early adopter.
nazaar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:25 AM   #48
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:

Awesome - you might have the early lead for the 2014 Most Hyperbole in a Post (less than 25 words division).

Though with the group on these forums, that lead will likely be shortlived.

I use both a 5C and 5S side by side, daily. I can tell you right now - TouchID is awesome. It works 99% of the time for me, and the fact I can have a more secure complex password helps keep my work phone secure.

Also MUCH quicker and easier to simply press the home button to unlock versus type in a 4-digit code. Can't wait until they implement TouchID across their entire product line.

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:26 AM   #49
V.K.
macrumors regular

I'm very glad to hear that this might be fixed. I have to reregister my fingerprints every few weeks. registering the same finger multiple times helps somewhat but it still happens eventually. I thought the problem was software related all along. I still like touch id and use it all the time. way better than a pin.
V.K. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:27 AM   #50
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashinhead View Post
I don't even use this 'feature' anymore its so useless. Its just like Siri.
We're all quite happy for you. Continue not using both of those features.

I, on the other hand, will continue to use both as they make for a more enjoyable smartphone experience.

Seriously? Your posts are what's useless.....

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion