Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Charge Fees for Out-of-Warranty Chat Support

Apple is planning to institute fees for users that are seeking online chat support for out-of-warranty products, reports 9to5Mac. The company has reportedly been working on a new web payment system that includes a paid chat support feature as well as a function allowing customers to schedule product repairs and replacements.

Currently, customers can use Apple Support's online chat feature at no cost to receive technical support on out-of-warranty products that are not covered by AppleCare, but the new rules would bring chat support under the same umbrella as Apple's phone support, which does carry fees for products with expired warranty periods.

All of Apple's products receive 90 days of phone support at purchase, which can be extended to three years with AppleCare. Customers seeking over-the-phone help for out-of-warranty products must pay a fee between $29 and $49. A similar fee of $19 will be required for chat support going forward, though users will be able to request an exception to the fee.

Apple has also developed a system that will allow customers to make payments via its support website, and that system will be used to set up hardware repairs and replacements via chat.
Quote:
Using the new web payment system, we're told Apple plans to offer the ability to set up hardware repairs via chat that require a hold on a credit card or pay per incident fee. Rather than having to call in, users will be sent a link that's live for 24 hours in order to complete the payment.
Chat fees reportedly began appearing in August following Apple's support site redesign that introduced 24/7 live chat, but thus far, employees have been instructed to grant exceptions on all support requests up to the official launch of the paid service.

Apple's new chat support policies may go into effect as soon as next week, but the company will reportedly be waiving fees for iCloud issues and accidental damage cases where users are requesting to purchase repair or a replacement via chat.

Article Link: Apple to Charge Fees for Out-of-Warranty Chat Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:59 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
don't start to nickel and dime us apple
ZacNicholson is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Decimotox
macrumors regular

Wow, that's pretty horrible of Apple. Another ding to their customer service rep.
Decimotox is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:01 PM   #4
chromite
macrumors newbie

*Tim Cook bean counter comment here*
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Radio
In Time-Out

I remember the days when apple stood for excellence in customer service at no value.

It's truly turning to those dark days at apple.

Steve would have never allowed this.
Radio is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:02 PM   #6
cheesyappleuser
macrumors 6502

We buy an expensive product, and now the chat support is paid? How enticing...
cheesyappleuser is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Broph
macrumors 6502

$19 seems a bit steep for what it is.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:03 PM   #8
bondsbw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
If I had a nickel for every time this has been said...

But no, he wouldn't have.
bondsbw is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Semester
macrumors regular

But was this actually free before? I don't think you had access to it, right?
Semester is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:04 PM   #10
macbookairman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I remember the days when apple stood for excellence in customer service at no value.

It's truly turning to those dark days at apple.

You're being dramatic. He allowed it for phone support. Why wouldn't he for chat support?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Broph
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semester View Post
But was this actually free before? I don't think you had access to it, right?
From article:

"Currently, customers can use Apple Support's online chat feature at no cost to receive technical support on out-of-warranty products that are not covered by AppleCare"
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:05 PM   #12
ghost187
macrumors regular

They should keep this free instead of giving >$10B to shareholders every year.
ghost187 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to 869639
Well people don't get support for Out Of Warranty [OOW] devices anyway so having to pay to get support for it makes sense...otherwise walk into a store and see where you can get...

Its not like apple is charging those with a device under warranty...if u have warranty then don't worry about it.
869639 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:05 PM   #14
mac-man 2008
macrumors newbie

I remember when I switched and left Microsoft behind. One of the things that won me over was the customer service, and Microsoft's lack of it (for which they charged a pretty penny for). Good job, Tim.
mac-man 2008 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:06 PM   #15
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502

Makes me glad I live a mile away from an apple store.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:06 PM   #16
lusky
macrumors newbie

Dear Apple,

This is the sort of Nonsense that John Browett was so disliked for, stop it.

Yours,

everyone who pays more money for Apple products because of the service
lusky is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:08 PM   #17
blasto2236
macrumors 6502

So if this has been the case for phone support for years, how is this really news?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Lazy
macrumors regular

I didn't even know they offered such support. But fair enough to charge for it same as the phone support. Seems pretty reasonable to ask $19 for it compared to the phone prices. As long as they are liberal about waiving the fee (i.e. give the customer the benefit of the doubt as to whether they should be charged or not) I'll bet they'll be able to survive the rioting.
Lazy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:09 PM   #19
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

I keep getting slowly pushed away from Apple. I remember Apple's first downturn. Might happen again the way they are heading. I can spend $500 on a computer and get crappy service, but I won't spend $1000+ and get it. I am not so die hard Apple that I won't switch if I need to.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:09 PM   #20
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Back in 2010, I dropped my mid-2009 MBP and my CD drive shattered. I took it into my local Apple Store without even making an appointment (I didn't know how it all worked then!), and they replaced it for me there and then, free of charge. I didn't even buy it from an Apple Store, and I hadn't bought Apple Care!

This is one of the reasons so many of my friends have since got a Mac rather than a Windows PC, after seeing my experience with Apple customer service (along with it being a great OS, etc etc etc).

I really hope their customer service remains as good as it has been for me over the years (the Genius' have helped me out quite a few times, absolutely free of charge). It's one of the reasons I'd never go back to buying a Dell or HP etc, their customer service is shocking... I'd buy a Mac and run Boot Camp before I buy another Windows machine!
MasterHowl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:11 PM   #21
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

I think this will ensure that this feature I never used will never get used.

There really isn't much technical support I can think of that wouldn't require a follow-up in person anyways. And by technical support, I don't mean "I can't find Safari, plz fix".
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:11 PM   #22
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto2236 View Post
So if this has been the case for phone support for years, how is this really news?
Because it's related to online chat support, which has been free until this change?
C DM is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:12 PM   #23
jwc6160
macrumors member

This is just sad. I switched from PC 6 years ago and this was why. Not only did I have non stop issues, but it was always a pain to fix them and it took 2 hours on the phone and $100.

I remember when I first had an issue with Apple. I called, said my issue and a person answers quickly and resolved my issue in minutes. The last time I called I had to get through 6 different phone screens to find out they couldn't even answer a simple question until I gave them money.

More and more like Dell/MS every day.
jwc6160 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:13 PM   #24
Lazy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-man 2008 View Post
I remember when I switched and left Microsoft behind. One of the things that won me over was the customer service, and Microsoft's lack of it (for which they charged a pretty penny for). Good job, Tim.
Indeed there are horror stories about the worthlessness of Microsoft's phone support for which I recall something like $79 minimum to get them to say hello.

But to be somewhat fair to the tech support staff at Microsoft no one can fix most Windows problems so it's not really surprising they can't either.
Lazy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:13 PM   #25
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto2236 View Post
Through the anonymity of the internet, entitlement has risen dramatically. Thus, this is a crime against humanity.
ToomeyND is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion