Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:16 PM   #26
Crosscreek
macrumors 6502a

I never received a intelligent answer from their chat.
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:19 PM   #27
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Wow. I never thought I'd see Apple stoop so low, as to start making money off support. We pay a HUGE Apple Tax when we buy products, and for the longest time, I've told people yeah, but you're buying great support, great service. Now I can't say that any longer. Did support really hurt their bottom line? Is charging the most feeble users amongst us going to help the bottom line? Just dumb.

I'm paying $2k+ for my MacBook Pros. I'd hope that if I need some chat support +1 days out of the *additional* $349.00 I paid for two additional years of warranty, that they could see to not charging me yet again.

Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:23 PM   #28
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Eff you Apple!

It's bad enough you offer a laughable 1-year warranty on products you charge twice the market value for. But now you want to charge us even more for out of warranty calls too??

Last edited by mantan; Feb 28, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
mantan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:23 PM   #29
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

I am kind of glad Apple is doing this. I have gotten tired of overpaying for my laptops, and I have always justified it. Now I no longer have to as this gives me reason to move back over to Windows on my next upgrade if this continues.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:23 PM   #30
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Come on Apple...

mdridwan47 is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:25 PM   #31
akm3
macrumors 68020

This is a huge mistake in my opinion. I like Apple and pay 'the premium' to not get nickel and dimed. The support of the products is the reason the premium is worth it.

A paywall feels like trying to get Windows support or something for $35 per incident.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:25 PM   #32
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post
Through the anonymity of the internet, entitlement has risen dramatically. Thus, this is a crime against humanity.
Service was always Apple's point of difference. It's not like Apple is on skid row here. If anything, they should be expanding their offers of free support in other ways.

Seriously, from their billion dollars made each quarter can they not find a what would amount to a tiny tiny percentage to keep this going?

This new system will only buy them bad PR and come back to bite them in the a**.

Someone at Apple needs to challenge Tim Cook's bean-counting way of thining on this one.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:28 PM   #33
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto2236 View Post
So if this has been the case for phone support for years, how is this really news?
It's not but anything perceived as "bad" gets page views and that's what's most important these days.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:28 PM   #34
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
Wow. I never thought I'd see Apple stoop so low, as to start making money off support. We pay a HUGE Apple Tax when we buy products, and for the longest time, I've told people yeah, but you're buying great support, great service. Now I can't say that any longer. Did support really hurt their bottom line? Is charging the most feeble users amongst us going to help the bottom line? Just dumb.

I'm paying $2k+ for my MacBook Pros. I'd hope that if I need some chat support +1 days out of the *additional* $349.00 I paid for two additional years of warranty, that they could see to not charging me yet again.

Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They aren't doing it to be a money grab, they are doing it to reduce the amount of time they waste on out-of-warranty customers. Furthermore, I'd imagine that a big portion of the out-of-warranty customers are there because the Apple Store declined them service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
I'd hope that if I need some chat support +1 days out of the
They never promised you lifetime chat support in the old system either, they just never actively verified warranty until now.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:29 PM   #35
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
Eff you Apple!

It's bad enough you offer a laughable 1-year warranty on products you charge twice the market value for. But now you want to charge us even more for warranty calls too??
I have some great news! The charges are only for out-of-warranty products! So with the money you just saved, you could invest in a reading tutor!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:32 PM   #36
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

My CC just got hit for $6000 on a new Mac Pro, that I was told would be delivered by February numerous times. Yesterday, Apple phoned and said it would be 7-14 days. Maybe I should phone Chase and tell them to hold that charge "7-14" days, or until my order is shipped.

Perhaps I should cancel my order altogether if Apple continues the trend in charging more for services we, as 10+ years of Apple users - with AppleCare, currently receive.

Tim, those billions in cash reserve and annual bonuses, how about reinvesting back into your company? Oh, I forgot, "Trickle Down Economics" was a lie.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:33 PM   #37
chainprayer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chainprayer
I'll do it for 100,000 dogecoins
chainprayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:34 PM   #38
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
I have some great news! The charges are only for out-of-warranty products! So with the money you just saved, you could invest in a reading tutor!
ah you got me - I mean to type 'out of warranty...' hence my point about the warranty being short.

But appreciate your sense of humor.....or being a total dick. Not sure which it was....
mantan is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:36 PM   #39
BootsWalking
macrumors newbie

Think Different. Pay Different.
BootsWalking is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:43 PM   #40
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Good move. It will help make Apple more profitable which is all that matters.

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be sarcastic and humorous.
AppleScruff1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:47 PM   #41
vpndev
macrumors regular

need metrics

I agree that this does seem to have a bit of the misplaced Brewer-economics about it.

Apple service has long been a differentiator and it's not as though Apple needs the additional revenue. But is this for that reason [I think not] or to discourage abuse [maybe].

Another thought is that Apple products tend to be long-lived but it's only possible to get Applecare for three years. I provide family-service for about two dozen Macs and iOS devices and can field most "how does this work" and "can you help upgrade" issues. But there are some that require Applecare or a Genius appointment - and not everyone lives close to a GB/Apple Store. It would be good to have an option for extended-Applecare.
vpndev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:53 PM   #42
blasto2236
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Because it's related to online chat support, which has been free until this change?
I'm just saying it seems a little ridiculous to be outraged about it when they have used a similar model for other types of support for some time. You pay your chat support employees the same as your phone support in most contact centers.

Being in the customer service industry (over the phone and chat), it is surprising to me that Apple charges for either type of support out of warranty. I have called and chatted with many, many companies over the years and have never once been asked to pay for support, warranty or no. THAT was surprising to me. That they're making their chat policies as asinine as their over the phone ones? Not so much.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:53 PM   #43
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost187 View Post
They should keep this free instead of giving >$10B to shareholders every year.
What if you owned some of thos stocks??
bobenhaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:55 PM   #44
SusanK
macrumors 6502a

Coffin nails

Way to go, Cook.

-Steve Jobs
SusanK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:01 PM   #45
meeks
macrumors regular

so pay $19 or use google/this forum? hmm...
27" ThunderBolt Display & TV
meeks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:04 PM   #46
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I want my customers to pay me $20/hr for my time too. iOS app?

Rocketman
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:15 PM   #47
Munkypoo7
macrumors 6502

So they're charging $20 for online chat AFTER the warranty has expired?

I don't see the problem. Normally they'd charge you $50 to speak with a person over the phone, and at least you can request an exception with this chat thing...
Munkypoo7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:24 PM   #48
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Only Cook would let this happen.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:26 PM   #49
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

They just want more visitors to their stores. Simple as that.
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:35 PM   #50
mytdave
macrumors 6502

Bad Idea

Charging a fee for an ultra-low-cost support function like chat is a bad, bad idea. Just today I informed Cisco that I'll be buying competitor's products now because they refused to answer a simple email.

Some levels of support (i.e. on-site, phone, etc.) obviously can't be provided for free, but some support avenues like email and chat need to remain free or customers will become extremely unhappy.

Tech companies need to consider whether they want to have their "paid support policy" or have customers who buy products. Would I actually drop Apple for such behavior? Well, I'm dropping Cisco.
mytdave is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion