Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Nothing arrogant about having disdain for the Bose "systems" that cost a great deal and deliver faux sound.

Yeah, you've chosen to twist my words for your own agenda there. I was pointing out how arrogant it is to laugh at another person's choice because you believe you know better.

You may now call me arrogant for wanting to shop wisely, do my research and 'understand' the difference between a heavily marketed "wow" item and a down to earth get the job done with quality item.

..and now you're just ranting off at a tangent.

MacRumors forums are generally a community spirited place where people share opinions. Unfortunately there are still a few who put their own preference forward and laugh in the face of anyone 'stupid' enough to disagree.

BTW - I do not own any Bose audio equipment.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yeah, you've chosen to twist my words for your own agenda there. I was pointing out how arrogant it is to laugh at another person's choice because you believe you know better.

..and now you're just ranting off at a tangent.

MacRumors forums are generally a community spirited place where people share opinions. Unfortunately there are still a few who put their own preference forward and laugh in the face of anyone 'stupid' enough to disagree.

BTW - I do not own any Bose audio equipment.

If I misread your post - which referenced "arrogance" then I apologize. However, my point is clear, there is nothing arrogant about pointing out that there are alternatives to Bose that are cheaper and sound better and certainly more flexible. I admit the red flag for me as the word "arrogance."
This is often used in a negative fashion.

FYI - your post was construed as being a bit flaming and perhaps simply the printed word was a bit polarized. No offense meant by my post in response.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Irishman
I agree with all points you posted. Are there any other manufactors of cube style speakers, that you or anyone compaired to Bose?
For comsumers that want small form factor, Bose are ok, but what would stop me ever getting a Bose product is the price point.

These Focal Speakers called their Dôme line are fantastic. These are some great French products that produce great sound. They're pricey, at about $2500 for a 5.1 set, but leaps and bounds above what Bose can give you.

http://www.focal.com/en/19-dome

----------

Wow, a full fledged Bose hater.

:apple:

Which of us? I actually own Bose components. I recently replaced by Companion 2's with a Denon DRA-565RD 2 channel receiver, powering a pair of Klipsch RB-51s.

I do like Bose's headphones. I would buy again their MIE2 in-ears, for using outside with my iPod while doing yard work. Their QC-15s are great, too.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks! I have a Apple TV, TiVo hd, and ps3. How would I hook up the ZVOX ZBase 580? It doesn't have hdmi ports.
Sorry for the dumb question.
Thanks

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
As much I like to tell people I hate Bose, their quality is terrible, etc.; yes that's all true.

However I have a twelve year old system still going strong and quite frankly nobody can tell the difference. It was bought on whim based purely on ease of installation.

Most people who watch movies with me don't care. I certainly don't care much.

If I want to enjoy my music, I have my headphones and amps to pass my time.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks! I have a Apple TV, TiVo hd, and ps3. How would I hook up the ZVOX ZBase 580? It doesn't have hdmi ports.
Thanks

There are converters and such as needed but this is what ZVOX's site listed so you can figure which device you have can be directly connected and which will need some sort of converter etc. You may need some sort of HDMI to optical switch unit or similar. Something like this -

Mono Price - 4x1 HDMI® Switch w/ TOSlink & Digital Coaxial Audio Output (Audio Return Channel/3D/CEC Support) ... around 75 dollars.

The 580 has two analog audio inputs, one optical (Toslink) digital input, one coaxial digital input - plus a front panel 3.5mm analog stereo input for convenient connection of your iPod or other portable audio device. Any specific input can be selected using either the remote control or the slim-line module below the speaker grille. The two digital inputs work with a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, which can improve virtual surround performance and allow for simplified connections to a wide variety of TVs, cable boxes and disc players.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just wanted to insert another viewpoint here.

Bose is for those who want good sound without investing any time or effort. The sound that comes out of a TV is bad, so we can all relate to the desire for better sound. This is where the Bose and anti-Bose people split.

The anti-Bose people see this as an opportunity to stretch their dollar and to buy the best possible sound for a certain budget. They are willing to put in the time researching and trying, investigating, buying and returning, etc. They of course value their time, but they also derive enjoyment from this process which makes the cost of this time a non-issue. The journey becomes a hobby.

The Bose people see this as an annoyance. They want better sound, even good sound, but they don't want / need another hobby. They want to buy one cardboard box that contains everything they need to improve the sound of their TVs, with an 800 number to call where someone will walk them through all the steps of setting it up. Most importantly they want to forget it's there. They want good sound so they don't have to think about sound. It has to be so simple that any guest can figure it out in less than 30 seconds.

I personally can relate to the Bose buyers. I have other hobbies, I tinker with other things (take note Bose haters: I do my best to not be condescending to those who don't share in my hobbies). Right now, I just don't want the hassle of setting up a home theater system. I need a "thing" that will accept my AppleTV and my Cablebox, and that will sound good. I'm willing to pay a premium for that "thing" to come from one place, and to be really simple.

I know this is coming off as defending Bose; but it's also worth pointing out that several other companies sell products similar to Bose that accomplish that same goal. Many of them cost more than Bose; a few cost less.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Just wanted to insert another viewpoint here.

Bose is for those who want good sound without investing any time or effort. The sound that comes out of a TV is bad, so we can all relate to the desire for better sound. This is where the Bose and anti-Bose people split.

The anti-Bose people see this as an opportunity to stretch their dollar and to buy the best possible sound for a certain budget. They are willing to put in the time researching and trying, investigating, buying and returning, etc. They of course value their time, but they also derive enjoyment from this process which makes the cost of this time a non-issue. The journey becomes a hobby.

The Bose people see this as an annoyance. They want better sound, even good sound, but they don't want / need another hobby. They want to buy one cardboard box that contains everything they need to improve the sound of their TVs, with an 800 number to call where someone will walk them through all the steps of setting it up. Most importantly they want to forget it's there. They want good sound so they don't have to think about sound. It has to be so simple that any guest can figure it out in less than 30 seconds.

I personally can relate to the Bose buyers. I have other hobbies, I tinker with other things (take note Bose haters: I do my best to not be condescending to those who don't share in my hobbies). Right now, I just don't want the hassle of setting up a home theater system. I need a "thing" that will accept my AppleTV and my Cablebox, and that will sound good. I'm willing to pay a premium for that "thing" to come from one place, and to be really simple.

I know this is coming off as defending Bose; but it's also worth pointing out that several other companies sell products similar to Bose that accomplish that same goal. Many of them cost more than Bose; a few cost less.

I very much appreciate your point of view presented but we are going to have to disagree at some level. Buying blindly is as implied - buying blindly. An intelligent (or informed) buy is not a hobby though we can agree some people get into the research and it becomes as big a 'thrill' as the purchase itself. Though I am not attacking the Bose offering, Bose itself does a great deal of hype in its advertising of its TV speaker products and charges a premium. They count on people to either buy into the hype on the name or want a simple solution even if it costs far more than some counterpart all in one box solutions. As you point out perhaps, some people make purchases this way and are happy. Then again, some are not and return the Bose solution. Honestly, if people don't mind spending the money and are happy with their Bose purchase that is really all that matters to them so we can agree on that.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I very much appreciate your point of view presented but we are going to have to disagree at some level. Buying blindly is as implied - buying blindly. An intelligent (or informed) buy is not a hobby though we can agree some people get into the research and it becomes as big a 'thrill' as the purchase itself. Though I am not attacking the Bose offering, Bose itself does a great deal of hype in its advertising of its TV speaker products and charges a premium. They count on people to either buy into the hype on the name or want a simple solution even if it costs far more than some counterpart all in one box solutions. As you point out perhaps, some people make purchases this way and are happy. Then again, some are not and return the Bose solution. Honestly, if people don't mind spending the money and are happy with their Bose purchase that is really all that matters to them so we can agree on that.

I think we agree on more than just that. :D I agree that when one buys Bose, they are buying into much more than just speakers; they are also buying into the advertising, brand image, customer support, hype, etc. (Much like Apple!). I also agree that one must always go into any major purchase having done some research, even if minor. However, I wouldn't classify anyone buying Bose as buying blindly. Going off simple reviews and advertisements that are nearly unavoidable, I think most people know for a fact that Bose will sound pretty darn good (not the best, and question of value aside). Even those that attack it seem to imply that Bose sounds good (they attack it for value mostly: either the same quality can be had for less, or better quality can be had for the same cost). Further, any company that has so many stores in malls, the type of advertising they afford, and the length of time they have been doing it, together implies the brand is reputable. (Again, much like Apple!) This isn't buying blindly.

I had roommates in college that fell for the gray van scam. That was buying blindly. They paid $300 for an all-in-one home theater system, that had an "MSRP" of $5000, from two guys in the back of a van claiming to be installers who had an extra by mistake. They had no idea what the brand was (it was a fake brand), they had no idea what it sounded like (no demo), and it wasn't in a reputable retailer (van on street). It sounded awful; I still find it surprising that even the worst 5.1 system can sound worse than built-in tv speakers, but it did.

My point is it seems like we're rehashing the never-ending Macs vs. PC argument, but in a different space. Easy-to-use and all-in-one at a premium versus customization and higher-quality components at a better value. The fight will go on!

I do appreciate this thread and Irishman's write-ups. Very informative and certainly makes buying something non-Bose easier.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I think we agree on more than just that. :D I agree that when one buys Bose, they are buying into much more than just speakers; they are also buying into the advertising, brand image, customer support, hype, etc. (Much like Apple!). I also agree that one must always go into any major purchase having done some research, even if minor. However, I wouldn't classify anyone buying Bose as buying blindly. Going off simple reviews and advertisements that are nearly unavoidable, I think most people know for a fact that Bose will sound pretty darn good (not the best, and question of value aside). Even those that attack it seem to imply that Bose sounds good (they attack it for value mostly: either the same quality can be had for less, or better quality can be had for the same cost). Further, any company that has so many stores in malls, the type of advertising they afford, and the length of time they have been doing it, together implies the brand is reputable. (Again, much like Apple!) This isn't buying blindly.

I had roommates in college that fell for the gray van scam. That was buying blindly. They paid $300 for an all-in-one home theater system, that had an "MSRP" of $5000, from two guys in the back of a van claiming to be installers who had an extra by mistake. They had no idea what the brand was (it was a fake brand), they had no idea what it sounded like (no demo), and it wasn't in a reputable retailer (van on street). It sounded awful; I still find it surprising that even the worst 5.1 system can sound worse than built-in tv speakers, but it did.

My point is it seems like we're rehashing the never-ending Macs vs. PC argument, but in a different space. Easy-to-use and all-in-one at a premium versus customization and higher-quality components at a better value. The fight will go on!

I do appreciate this thread and Irishman's write-ups. Very informative and certainly makes buying something non-Bose easier.

We concur 100 percent.

I admit I find it funny when I tell people I went to Mac when Vista came out and I am just as critical of Apple as MS and some PC makers. In this day and age of so much hype, lemming mentalities and more, it has become common place if not en vogue to avoid any form of thinking and believe that throwing dollars at something will make it better. Obviously, not every person is that way but I do see quite a trend in this behavior.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I love the quality sound from my Bose wifi speaker purchased a few months ago

superb for movies via itunes/apple t.v.

Getting sky installed Weds 3rd -hope I can use the speaker via sky wifi enabled hd box, can any u.k sky users advise if this will work without ethernet?

ahughes03

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
Irishman
I agree with all points you posted. Are there any other manufactors of cube style speakers, that you or anyone compaired to Bose?
For comsumers that want small form factor, Bose are ok, but what would stop me ever getting a Bose product is the price point.

These Focal Speakers called their Dôme line are fantastic. These are some great French products that produce great sound. They're pricey, at about $2500 for a 5.1 set, but leaps and bounds above what Bose can give you.

http://www.focal.com/en/19-dome

If 2.5k is out of your price-range, and you're ok with slightly more-rectangle-than-cube speakers, search for Energy Take Classic and Monoprice 10565. Both are 5.1 sets that go for under $400 and sound great for the price. The Monoprice seems to use essentially the same components but is made by a Internet Direct Retailer, rather than Energy, who sometimes sells at big box stores. Basically Monoprice is the same, without the retail mark-up.

I owned the Energy Take Classic 5.0 series (hard to find now, as they seem to only sell the 5.1 series with the accompanying subwoofer) with an SVS ported subwoofer, and the system sounded great for the price-point. I got a case of upgrade-itis, but the system is still used in the other media area (not the main room).

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks

Does your TV have a clearly, explicitly marked audio output? Like a digital coax (looks like an RCA plug), fiber optic (squared plug with a cover that pushes in when you plug the cable into it), or stereo left/right (analog RCA plugs)

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
I own the bose 135 series 2 with the sound bar and the wireless sub woofer. I love it! I do agree it does not have the thundering sub but it sounds very clean.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: sound bars

Personally, I'm extremely pleased with a Polk sound bar and wireless bass sub combo I purchased a few years ago. Price was around $400. I'd have to run back upstairs and look at the back plate on it to tell you the exact model -- but as far as I can tell, something like the "SurroundBar 5000 IHT" would be comparable.

I just needed something to make a flat screen TV sound respectable, without breaking the bank. And I didn't want to hassle with a bunch of wires, mounting of rear surround speakers on the wall, etc. The Polk was just what I needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.