Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
A guy on CL was selling a G4 Cube with all accessories & monitor for $100. I did not really know what I would do with it, so I let it pass, but I see they sell on Amazon for $450+. Guess I missed it..

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They sell for about $75-$150 on eBay. Amazon's prices for this type of thing are generally overinflated.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
You should also keep in mind that Amazon gives you a 30-day refund on all purchases; and that items on Amazon are usually sold as collector pieces, or as systems known to be complete working, and free of defects.

The Cube is one of those systems that I have often wanted, but never purchased. I think it is a nice-looking device, but like you, I wouldn't have much of a use for it.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I have 2 Cube's, I collect what is interesting to me and the first Cube I got for $75.00 less the speakers off of Craigslist. I got a set of Soundsticks and I then got the restore discs from Ebay and reinstalled all the software back to original.

The 2nd Cube I got off eBay for $70.00 and it is my experimental Cube. I try things on it first to see what effect it will have on the computer. When I got the 2nd Cube I had to replace the hard drive had failed.

The Cube can be got for little money and it is mainly something that interesting and kind of limited in what it can handle today. After all this computer was sold 14 years ago and discontinued 13 years ago. I have thought of finding a Intel Mac Mini for cheap and then I will make it into a Mac Mini Cube.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Cube is nice looking device but I have always wondered what people do with them if they have stock processor, was it 400 or 450mhz? In file server etc. use I would think there better options which consume less power, Mac mini and iBook / Powerbook are also pretty affordable these days if both small size and Mac OS X are absolute requirements.

For decoration and/or nostalgy no reason is of course not needed :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.