Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locolupo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
So as the title says my macbook has greatly slowed down over the years and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.
Whenever I reformat it the speed increases by a very significant amount.
When OSX Mavericks was release I completely wiped everything and started fresh.
I noticed that in the first few hours / days everything was running like it was brand new. For example, my skype which normally can take up to what seems like a minute to open / auto-login would now do it in about 10 seconds or less.
However it quickly fell back to it's sluggish pace. Even navigating the finder can be very slow sometimes.

I've always read that macs clean themselves up but I was wondering if there is anything more I can do to keep everything running smoothly.

Also it's not like I have my hard drive filled with a bunch of junk. I also close applications when I'm not using them.

In case it's important, here's a list of the programs I have installed / use.
- itunes
- steam (a couple indie games)
- photoshop
- chrome
- VLC
- league of legends
- spotify
- caffeine
- stuffit expander
- google drive
- uTorrent

I have about 23 GB of video and 16 GB of music.

Does anyone have any ideas of things I could try or why it could be so slow?
Thanks.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Try these steps:

1. Open /YourHardDrive/Applications/Activity Monitor.app and look at which program is running away and eating up processor or memory power.

2. Open your regular browser and open in Preferences and clear the history and cache.

3. Open System Preferences->Flash Player pane and clear it's cookies and suff.

4. Click on the Airport icon in the Finder while holding down the 'Option' key on the keyboard and then post the wireless connection info on you wireless network.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Does anyone have any ideas of things I could try or why it could be so slow?
Thanks.

Hi,

Start by downloading SMART Utility: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24875/smart-utility

If there are any problems at all detected in this, it will indicate the hard-drive is failing, so there's the trouble. If there are no issues with that, do as others have suggested with checking Activity Monitor for page outs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.