Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK, the title says it all. Looks like Staples is closing out the 3TB Time Capsules in their stores. The ticket on the shelf says "New Low Price - $199", regular price was $399.

At $199, it's less than the 2TB TC and costs the same as Extreme.

So, did I get a great deal? Or is there something bad about the 3TB units?

I haven't opened it yet, so I could always return it.

However, if it is a good deal, you should all hurry up and get them before they run out.

ft

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
is it the new ac model?

Yep, the 802.11AC model. I double checked at Staples to make sure it wasn't an old model. It's the tall one, ME182LL

I'm guessing that all Staples store are getting rid of the 3TB models as the website says it's sold only online.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Yep, the 802.11AC model. I double checked at Staples to make sure it wasn't an old model. It's the tall one, ME182LL

I'm guessing that all Staples store are getting rid of the 3TB models as the website says it's sold only online.

Hell of a deal. Congratulations, and enjoy-- they're awesome.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Hell of a deal. Congratulations, and enjoy-- they're awesome.

Yeah, I haven't come across any mentions on the internet to stay away from the 3TB units. I guess I'm keeping this one. I'll move my old Extreme 3rd gen upstairs and link the two with CAT5e to create a super network that'll cover my entire house. Or maybe the TC will have better range than the Extreme and I won't have to mess with crimping RJ-45 connectors.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I was just at my Staples to check and no such pricing there.

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I was just at my Staples to check and no such pricing there.

My staples is Springfield PA 19064 store. They had all three Airports available, and only the 3TB showed the "new low pricing".

Maybe this hasn't taken place at all staples yet.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I am guessing there was some mistake, temporarily pricing it incorrectly as if it were an AirPort Extreme and not a TC.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I saw that yesterday as I was checking on my phone as I was in the store. I could have sworn that the mobile app said that the 3TB unit was "Online-Only".

I am guessing there was some mistake, temporarily pricing it incorrectly as if it were an AirPort Extreme and not a TC.
I guess it could have been a mistake, but the ticket on the shelf clearly had the original $399 price and listed a "new lower price" of $299.

Either way, I'm not complaining. I got a Time Capsule with the 3TB drive for the same price I was going to pay for an Airport Extreme.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I finally got around to setting up my Time Capsule last night. Went pretty smoothly. With the TC in the basement, I was able to get a strong signal up in my bedroom on the 2nd floor with my iPhone. This is something that my Airport Extreme couldn't do.

Just for giggles, I put the AE on the first floor to extend the network via wifi. This boost the signal in my bedroom a lot.

Working great.

As far as the price, I told my coworkers and one girl called a bunch of Staples in SE PA and found one that had the $199 price. Turns out their systems say $399, but they ring up at the register at $199. She picked it up that night and the guy told her that she's getting the second to last on in PA. The next day, another co-worker heard the story and went out at lunch to pick up the "last one in PA". NOTE - this was at a different Staples than I got mine from.

So, the moral of the story is if you're in a state other than PA, call a bunch of Staples in the area and see if they'll run a test scan on a 3TB Time Capsule. It just might show up at 50% off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.