Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
You don't think Apple has been attempting to control everything lately, especially related to their App stores and the usual patent crap and the usual anti-competition measures thereof (i.e. the stuff with magazine subscriptions and the like and their attempts to force the 30% share?)

I see Apple's iOS like Disney's theme parks and am the opinion Apple's rules and regulations are designed to provide a consistent user experience. And now that you can legally jailbreak an iOS device, you have the legal freedom to go outside of Apple's "walled garden" if you wish to seek greater functionality and flexibility.

As for patents, considering how often Apple is sued for infringement by patent trolls, I don't blame them for securing patents they feel are of strategic importance to current and future product lines. Apple has admittedly been cavalier at times in choosing trademarks and product names and they've paid their lumps when the original trademark/copyright holder has called them on it.

And Apple has changed when faced with strong resistance. iAds' buy-in started at $1 million and Apple has consistently lowered it as accounts have balked at paying that and gone elsewhere. And Apple has made changes to the in-application subscription rules in the face of content providers pulling said content from the App Store.

Motuiti

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Back to the Lion Rosetta thing

Well for this old timer, Panther might be the end of the line for me because of Rosetta's departure and Appleworks. - Dont laugh.

It's not that I dont use more contemporary Apps in my website & video development. I just love Draw, Paint & WP for quick stuff. I dont need a full blown overly abundant application. The WP part I can save with a table in html for a shell. Open in BBedit and copy and paste in stuff as needed. There is nothing more simple & quicker (that I have found) than a combo of Paint, Draw plus Graphic Converter for quick sizing, manipulation & format change of picts.

Hey that's just me- Call me old fashioned.

Sandy

MacOSExustio

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Yes it does. But that's because the system ships all the PPC framework code whether you install the Rosetta application itself or not. So you recall correctly, but it doesn't apply to my point at all.

Are all of the frameworks that are newer than OS 9.2 also PPC? Or are they just operated in the "host" Intel OS, and the only PPC that is relied upon is stuff that is already written? So the Rosetta PPC emulator isn't running any TCP/USB/Bluetooth/etc code - the only thing that would be being emulated is at most OS 9.2-vintage code. That basically makes Rosetta into a version of SheepShaver that can make independent windows instead of them all having to be in a single emulated screen. Rosetta (theoretically) can then exist as basically a bubble, and Apple doesn't have to touch the Rosetta app ever again. There would of course be few or no new drivers for Rosetta environment.

I suspect that things are much more complicated than this if we actually knew how much Rosetta was integrated into Carbon and the host OS. Especially since Intel and PPC are different endien-ness. So Apple might not be able to *just* keep around Rosetta and Classic.

Jim

MacOSExustio

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Re: Rosetta/Classic

Yes it does. But that's because the system ships all the PPC framework code whether you install the Rosetta application itself or not. So you recall correctly, but it doesn't apply to my point at all.

Are all of the frameworks that are newer than OS 9.2 also PPC? Or are they just operated in the "host" Intel OS, and the only PPC that is relied upon is stuff that is already written? So the Rosetta PPC emulator isn't running any TCP/USB/Bluetooth/etc code - the only thing that would be being emulated is at most OS 9.2-vintage code. That basically makes Rosetta into a version of SheepShaver that can make independent windows instead of them all having to be in a single emulated screen. Rosetta (theoretically) can then exist as basically a bubble, and Apple doesn't have to touch the Rosetta app ever again. There would of course be few or no new drivers for Rosetta environment.

I suspect that things are much more complicated than this if we actually knew how much Rosetta was integrated into Carbon and the host OS. Especially since Intel and PPC are different endien-ness. So Apple might not be able to *just* keep around Rosetta and Classic.

Jim

physicsguy13

Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Huntiingon Beach, CA
I just received my first Mac yesterday and this problem hit me pretty hard. The MAC version of the software that textbook publishers send out apparently never got updated to a non Power PC version so I wasn't able to install any of it. I just ended up creating a BootCamp partition and installed Windows 7 64 to be able to run them. Not the way I was originally planning on doing things but not a big deal for me.

Of course that solution isn't an option if there isn't a Windows version fo the software that you are trying to run.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I have a Dell 3100cn networked color laser printer that I really like, despite the Dell badge. Unfortunately the driver is PPC-only and Dell has not updated it. This is the only concern I still have regarding losing Rosetta.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions for keeping a printer alive in Lion when its drivers are PPC-only? I'm wondering if there's some kind of generic Universal driver I can use; the printer is pretty basic, after all.

I have the 3100cn and if the 3100cn is installed prior to installing Lion, it is going to remain working. The issue is not with the drivers themselves but rather it's the installer for the drivers that requires Rosetta.

So on my upgraded machines everything is fine, but when I tried to use Dell's installer to install the 3100cn drivers on a new Lion system, a MBA, the drivers cannot be installed. A couple of work around that i am contemplating are:

1. figure out how to copy the driver from one of my upgraded Lion machines to the MBA. So just install the driver manually. Problem is I ma not sure what files to copy to my MBA.

2. use the driver for a Dell 3110cn. The installer for the Macintosh drivers for the 3110cn appears to be a DMG file and can be run without Rosetta. The only question I have is whether the drivers for the 3110cn are truly compatible with the 3000cn.

I'm going to try and locate the printer drivers first, since I have not had any problems with the true 3000cn drivers over the last 6 or 7 years since I have owned this printer. If I cant figure the drivers out then I may try the 3110cn drivers. I could also probably use the generic postscript drivers but I'd like to get some of the reporting features that I think are only part of the Dell drivers.

The 3100cn has been a great color laser printer. I am still on my original toner cartridges as Dell included full capacity toner cartridges from the beginning.

UPDATE: I located the Dell 3100cn printer drivers in Macintosh HD\Library\Printers. I had to copy two folders to my MBA. Before I did this, I tried the generic postscript drivers and some important features are missing. Namely, the ability to specify black only as a print option.

Save en.lproj folder in Macintosh HD\Library\Printers\PPDs\Contents\Resources\

Save Dell folder in Macintosh HD\Library\Printers\

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Ya know I've owned Apples since I was a youngster. My parents are both teachers I remember the apple II the first computer I really used was a IIc then a IIe..following on..I'm no oldster (35) so maybe I don't understand but really why are you folks hanging on to PPC apps..most PPC apps were ditch-able by 08..to lament the loss of your old friends is understandable but really you folks knew this was coming..so I have no sympathy.....

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
Well...

Marble Blast Gold and ThinkTanks have Universal support. So they're not entirely dead yet. Although Orbz, BCS and years and years of many other old (classic) games and software (that I payed good money for) are now vegetables.

Everyone, send some feedback to Apple requesting Rosetta again. It may not have to be as simple as a button click to install it, but at least allow some way of downloading it from Apple's website. Just inconvenient enough to deter any user that doesn't want it bad enough; that doesn't NEED it.

Time for people to move on? I'm afraid people will "move on" all right. Only, it'll be to Windows instead.

rgwspiers

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
I have the 3100cn and if the 3100cn is installed prior to installing Lion, it is going to remain working. The issue is not with the drivers themselves but rather it's the installer for the drivers that requires Rosetta.

So on my upgraded machines everything is fine, but when I tried to use Dell's installer to install the 3100cn drivers on a new Lion system, a MBA, the drivers cannot be installed. A couple of work around that i am contemplating are:

1. figure out how to copy the driver from one of my upgraded Lion machines to the MBA. So just install the driver manually. Problem is I ma not sure what files to copy to my MBA.

2. use the driver for a Dell 3110cn. The installer for the Macintosh drivers for the 3110cn appears to be a DMG file and can be run without Rosetta. The only question I have is whether the drivers for the 3110cn are truly compatible with the 3000cn.

I'm going to try and locate the printer drivers first, since I have not had any problems with the true 3000cn drivers over the last 6 or 7 years since I have owned this printer. If I cant figure the drivers out then I may try the 3110cn drivers. I could also probably use the generic postscript drivers but I'd like to get some of the reporting features that I think are only part of the Dell drivers.

The 3100cn has been a great color laser printer. I am still on my original toner cartridges as Dell included full capacity toner cartridges from the beginning.

UPDATE: I located the Dell 3100cn printer drivers in Macintosh HD\Library\Printers. I had to copy two folders to my MBA. Before I did this, I tried the generic postscript drivers and some important features are missing. Namely, the ability to specify black only as a print option.

Save en.lproj folder in Macintosh HD\Library\Printers\PPDs\Contents\Resources\

Save Dell folder in Macintosh HD\Library\Printers\

Hey,

Recently came over to the Mac side for my home and business. We have a Dell 3110 printer and all my machines have lion. Having never had a dell printer previously installed on my mac's I can't seem to find any online and Dell are not being helpful in anyway.

Could it be possible for someone to send me over their driver so I may get our printers working fully? at the moment we have limited settings through the Apple driver...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

chezlio

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
3110cn driver for Lion 10.7.2

Hey,

Recently came over to the Mac side for my home and business. We have a Dell 3110 printer and all my machines have lion. Having never had a dell printer previously installed on my mac's I can't seem to find any online and Dell are not being helpful in anyway.

Could it be possible for someone to send me over their driver so I may get our printers working fully? at the moment we have limited settings through the Apple driver...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've isolated the relevant files and packed them nicely in a 1.5Mb .zip
just contact me via email. I'll pass the pack to you. :D

PS. I can't post it here. The .zip file attachment limit is too low.

UPDATE: I just cut everything to smaller pieces:
you may find attached:

Dell.zip
DellJobAccount.plugin.zip
DellSecurePrint.plugin.zip
en.lproj.zip

1. unzip and put the Dell/ folder in 'Mac HD/Library/Printers/'
2. unzip and put DellJobAccount.plugin in 'Mac HD/Library/Printers/Dell/PDEs/'
3. unzip and put DellSecurePrint.plugin in 'Mac HD/Library/Printers/Dell/PDEs/'
4. unzip and put the en.lproj/ folder in 'Mac HD/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/'

works for me on a brend new macbook air w lion 10.7.2
voila! Good Printing :D

Attachments

• Dell.zip
    302.2 KB · Views: 3,771
  • DellJobAccount.plugin.zip
    622.5 KB · Views: 3,420
  • DellSecurePrint.plugin.zip
    473.7 KB · Views: 3,340
  • en.lproj.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 3,878
Last edited:

clinchfield1975

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Converting old Word documents

Has anyone had any problems with NeoOffice or OpenOffice? I understand that they make it possible to open old Word files if Lion is your OS. All I want to do is open a bunch of old Word files and save them in Word 2011.
Thanks!

Beekster

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
Dell 3110cn driver

Worked like a champ. Just needed to point to the new driver.

Thanks! Made my day!

you may find attached:

jgreenman

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012

you may find attached:

I just downloaded and placed them in the files and tried to print. I can't seem to get it to work. My printer window is not finding Dell 3110cn. Do you have any more help?

anniebio

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Hi there, there was a little typo in step #4. It said to put the en.lproj/ folder in:
Mac HD/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/
but actually the full path is:
Mac HD/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/

Just noting in case that caused your problem! I followed these instructions and then tried to print from a web browser and chose "Add printer", and voila, my USB-connected printer was there, and upon selecting it, the proper driver appeared in the "Print Using" dropdown.

Worked like a charm! Thanks so much for posting these instructions and the files.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011

Attachments

• Appleworks.jpg
    Appleworks.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 118

OneLoveJamDown

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
In Mavericks?

Looks like there's no more PPDs in Mavericks. Any alternative plan on how to make this workaround effective?

Trying to get my Dell 3110n to work with Mac OS X Mavericks.

Thanks!

ipadabbi

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
Same problem here. Running OS X 10.9 Maverick and can get my Dell 3110cn to work anymore. Any work arounds?

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Same problem here. Running OS X 10.9 Maverick and can get my Dell 3110cn to work anymore. Any work arounds?

is there a way to make this work? i had my 3110cn working on my oMP 3,1 running 10.9 but i bought a nMP and now i can't get the printer recognized. frustrating! Please help:mad::mad::mad::mad:

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
is there a way to make this work? i had my 3110cn working on my oMP 3,1 running 10.9 but i bought a nMP and now i can't get the printer recognized. frustrating! Please help:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Why are you brining up this up from a thread that died 2 years ago? got question then use the support section of the website.

Dear god, what is it with all the necrophiliacs digging up dead threads from years ago?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Why are you brining up this up from a thread that died 2 years ago? got question then use the support section of the website.

Dear god, what is it with all the necrophiliacs digging up dead threads from years ago?

WTF, this isn't a site that permanently closes threads. Whether someone posts today or three years from now, it goes to the top of the list and people subscribed to the thread still are notified of new posts. Would you prefer people start new threads on existing topics? That would be pointless. I mean WTF is your problem? Seriously. Just ignore it or unsubscribe from the thread if you just can't stand it. Problem solved.

pcss

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
Also keen to see if there's any possibility of a workaround to allow use of PPDs in Mavericks. Recently switched to a Mini and not being able to use a Dell 3010cn that is otherwise completely fine is very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.