Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Looking at upgrading to either the new 6th gen for $183 via EPP or the refurb 5th gen for about $75-85. Any advantage/disadvantage over one or the other? I currently don't have any AC devices, but will be getting a ne MacBook Air or Pro for work in the May-July timeframe.

My house is about 1800 sq ft. Thanks in advance!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The current Airport Extreme (802.11ac) will of course have AC support. Also, it tends to get better speeds with 802.11n devices. If you tend to keep your Airport base station for several years, you might want to go with the current model.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Looking at upgrading to either the new 6th gen for $183 via EPP or the refurb 5th gen for about $75-85. Any advantage/disadvantage over one or the other? I currently don't have any AC devices, but will be getting a ne MacBook Air or Pro for work in the May-July timeframe.

My house is about 1800 sq ft. Thanks in advance!

The new MacBook Airs or Pros will take advantage of the AC speeds. Also, when a USB hard drive is plugged into the USB port on the AC model, it can be used for Time Machine! Think of it like this, your router is something you will keep for many years and therefore you should buy to accommodate the future. Technology is obsolete the minute it is released, but I don't see the AC standard being overcome for the next two years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.