Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardewing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
macbook (2006ish white 13") won't start up. please help if you can.

I took it apart (ram out, hdd out, removed keyboard, bezel off & display tilted fwd, removed isight camera board) to check the isight camera cable & replace the isight camera board as it was cooked. After putting everything back together, it won't start up again. there's a powering on sound and a quick flicker of the screen, then nothing - just a black screen, no boot up, no startup chime sound.. nothing.

I took it apart again and made sure everything I unplugged is back together - yep. I tried starting up with only one stick of ram, then the other, to see if one got toasted somehow. no change. I tried putting the original ram in (old, possibly corroded - could be toast, dunno. I kept the 2x512mb sticks when I upgraded to 2x1gb years ago) and no change.

I tried swapping the camera board back to the original one again - no change - so I put the new one in and left it.

I slid the hdd out and back in again to make sure it's firmly installed, no change.

I reset the SMC following instructions, no change.

Can't reset the pram/vram because it doesn't boot far enough to do so to see if that fixes anything.

also, no light comes on the capslock key when you press it - but that could just be because it's not booting far enough vs. a physical power problem. and I've tried booting it plugged into the magsafe with the battery out.

any ideas? next step to take or thing to try? it's been working just fine up until now.. but after years of not having the camera working i bought a replacement one and decided to "fix," it this evening... and now not only does the camera not work, the whole thing won't even turn on and start up. oooooops.

any help/advice is greatly appreciated - thank you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.