Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As indicated last week, Apple today announced its CarPlay iOS vehicle integration feature at the Geneva International Motor Show, which allows an iPhone to take over the in-dash display of a car, providing Siri voice controlled access to aspects such as navigation, phone functions, messages, and music.

Once a Lightning-enabled iPhone is connected, the feature can be summoned and controlled on compatible cars through Siri voice control, a touchscreen, and on-board buttons. From there, users are able to access various iOS apps such as Maps, Phone, Messages, Podcasts, and Music. Third party apps such as Beats Radio, iHeartRadio, Spotify, and Stitcher are also supported, with Apple promising compatibility with more apps soon.

CarPlay will be accessible this week with vehicles from manufacturers such as Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo, while other manufacturers such as BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia, Mitsubishi, Nissan, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota will receive the update later.

carplay_3.jpg
"CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. "iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we're thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva."
The feature was originally named iOS in the Car and was revealed last year at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). While Apple executives went on record to say that the functionality was "very important to the company" and is an essential "part of the ecosystem," reports earlier this year stated that CarPlay was plagued by development issues. However, a video of the feature surfaced last month, and showed support for multiple resolutions of external displays, touch input and hardware controls, and voice input.

CarPlay will be available as an update to iOS 7 and works with Lighting-enabled iPhones including the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'CarPlay' iOS Vehicle Integration Feature

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Who would use this driving their brand new Ferrari. Apple maps is still a mess for me in the UK with missing streets and missing bends in the road.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
See, this name was quite obvious.... not sure how I didn't see it.

Hope there are aftermarket manufacturers, or I'll be waiting a while!!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Does it support other navigation solutions than the built in Apple maps, e.g. Google Maps?

Since Apple Maps has not been that great in many parts of the world esp. outside the USA.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
6 Months later: Galaxy in the car, made by Samsung inspired by Apple...

Well I'm very curious about this Carplay and I'm living in Switzerland so why not going to see it during the expo :)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Who would use this driving their brand new Ferrari. Apple maps is still a mess for me in the UK with missing streets and missing bends in the road.

Yup. Some of these manufacturers have a reputation for quality, so how can they endorse Apple Maps? Stupid of them. Being able to use other maps should have been a deal breaker for anyone who knew what they were doing.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I would assume that it won't be too long before TomTom etc update their apps to support CarPlay too.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
So, 7.1 then? I can't remember, do the x.1 releases get GM's before the public release?
Yeah they do, but based on this announcement they're going to skip the GM I think. Which is something they've done before.

Last edited:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Weirdly (sadly?) my next car choice will probably heavily revolve around this type of integration.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
nice!!! My parents are getting a new 2015 C class... hope that has CarPlay...

Though I kinda wish I can use Google Maps... it's just more accurate in Hong Kong

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
I am surprised that iPhones need to be physically connected via Lightning cables, I thought this would be a wireless solution e.g BlueTooth...

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
This cherry-picked support for 3rd-party apps is a disappointing trend with Apple, where some apps get much better treatment than others. Apple should publish the specs and API for car integration and allow any app to take advantage of this (and conversely, allow users to show any app they want in the car).

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
After numerous meetings Steve had with Martin Winterkorn, Volkswagen Auto Group aren't participating in the initial launch? Not even Audi or Porsche? Kind of odd IMO.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Weird. It's much better for me, I live in quite a rural area. Never have problems when I've travelled around the UK. Whereas google maps claims my road doesn't exist, despite the house being built 15 years ago.....

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
so since in the States autopark featured cars have not been allowed, due to the fact that no one could be charged with responsibility for the dents on other cars, I think we have found the future culprit to finally allow this

(I am european, and I don't and I won't own an autopark enabled car)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.