Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:30 AM   #26
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Says in the article "The Iphone will take over the In-car Display on the Dash" Surely they mean't exactly the opposite. The "In-Car display will take over and control the Iphone".
nebo1ss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:31 AM   #27
HotDuckZ
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to HotDuckZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post
I am surprised that iPhones need to be physically connected via Lightning cables, I thought this would be a wireless solution e.g BlueTooth...
Battery?
HotDuckZ is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:34 AM   #28
jontech
macrumors 6502

Just announced straight from our friends in Seoul

The new Samsung Carply!

Available on all Kia, Hyundai and Yugo cars
jontech is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:37 AM   #29
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
I don't think Apple or Google is intentionally copying each other at this point in regards to cars. In the past year, both Apple and Google have stated big ambitions to push into the auto industry.

It's not a me too kind of thing. It's more like a "Of course we are working to integrate our future technology into autos. We would be stupid not to!"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontech View Post

The new Samsung Carply!

Are you sure it's not the Samsung CarAmba?

And to mimic Apple, it will be called the Samsung iCarAmba!
Solomani is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:39 AM   #30
japanime
macrumors 65816

Well, I guess I'm going to have to get a second phone. That way, I'll have one for my Ferrari and the other for my Jag. Maybe even a third phone, for my Benz.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:39 AM   #31
Tech198
macrumors 68040

This looks like a par on with Ford Sync... only on more "mobile" level. By the sounds of it, this "iOS in the Car" thing, once Apples one it, they go nuts so everything including the kitchen sink will be controlled "probably" as well.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:44 AM   #32
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontech View Post

The new Samsung Carply!

Google has been working with a bunch of Car manufacturers on interconnect for a while now. It is hardly copying to want to integrate your phone into a car. After all BMW and Mini for example have been making a series of incar adapters for Iphones. Blackberrys, and a bunch of Android phones for a number of years now. They integrate Music and phone functions, but not maps.
nebo1ss is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:49 AM   #33
alectheking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Weirdly (sadly?) my next car choice will probably heavily revolve around this type of integration.
Sadly, me too. Unless they add in dash systems to their MFI program, then I can keep my 2012 VW around a lil longer
alectheking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:53 AM   #34
jvlog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesslife85 View Post
Who would use this driving their brand new Ferrari. Apple maps is still a mess for me in the UK with missing streets and missing bends in the road.
If you're using the radio in a Ferrari your doing it wrong. Putting a entertainment/navigation system on there is like putting pacman in a titty bar, it's going to be used.

Now that said it looks like I might have to replace my radio for the 2nd time in 3 years now.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:56 AM   #35
osaga
macrumors 6502

Seems weird that apple is willing to give up control over hardware and collaborate with the auto manufacturers. I'm sure the initial implementation of ios in the car will be awkward and hideous, very un-Apple. I'm guessing they see the potential of the "connected car" and are making sacrifices to make sure iOS is a part of it.

But what happened to all those patents about on-screen tactile feedback? And wasn't there a small company they bought that had imbedded physical knobs on a display screen?
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:57 AM   #36
pscl
macrumors 6502

Wait... Do i have to buy a New Car to use this or are there any Software or maybe Hardware updates for existing Systems?
pscl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 02:59 AM   #37
danielsutton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
How can Apple feed video data to the car through Bluetooth?
Or Possibly Wi-Fi or another wireless technology. It would be great if drivers could keep their iPhones in their pockets or elsewhere in the car without having the phone physically connected to anything. Only one phone could be connected at a time, but even passengers could connect a phone without taking it out of a pocket.
danielsutton is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:39 AM   #38
Nozuka
macrumors 6502

too bad.. was hoping for it to connect over WIFI too..
taking out the phone and plugging it in several times a day will/would be annoying..

but as long as it only supports apple maps its not really useful anyway.
Nozuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:39 AM   #39
SierraRomeo7
macrumors newbie

Anyone to create a protest Website to put pressure on VAG for integration in Audi and Porsche ?

I'm part of the crowd that says my next car purchase will depend on the availability of CarPlay.

And I guess I'm not the only one !
Get in touch.
SierraRomeo7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:43 AM   #40
ds2000
macrumors member

Can I play flappy birds while speeding is all I care about?!
ds2000 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:45 AM   #41
Deedlez
macrumors member

I'm hoping this will filter down to third-party head unit manufacturers for the few (!) of us not planning on buying a brand new Merc or Ferrari in the near future!

Although this may depend on how closely the whole thing integrates with the car. I can see some cool apps being created if the phone can start collecting info such as fuel economy or accelerator/brake pedal usage.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:46 AM   #42
Anti-Lucifer
macrumors 6502a

iOS 7 ugly on an iPhone, even uglier in a car.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:47 AM   #43
HiRez
macrumors 601

Start countdown to article about how the NSA is working with the car manufacturers to hijack this connection.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:48 AM   #44
Nozuka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraRomeo7 View Post
Anyone to create a protest Website to put pressure on VAG for integration in Audi and Porsche ?

I'm part of the crowd that says my next car purchase will depend on the availability of CarPlay.

And I guess I'm not the only one !
Get in touch.
don't worry, they will have to cave in eventually.
Nozuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:50 AM   #45
danielsutton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDuckZ View Post
Battery?
In the future, perhaps the not too distant future, the system could use wireless inductive charging for the battery. I am brainstorming here
danielsutton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:50 AM   #46
musio
macrumors 68000

Will after market head units be able to take advantage of this? Ie, the appradio unit
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:51 AM   #47
amnichols10
macrumors regular

Wonder if Toyota will bring that same update to Lexus. Will it replace the current UI's that are their?
amnichols10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:52 AM   #48
SierraRomeo7
macrumors newbie

I hear you, the sooner the better.
But I want them to feel their mistake if you see what I mean.

I truly don't get it. iOS users are far more valuable to luxury car makers are they not ?
SierraRomeo7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:53 AM   #49
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Weirdly (sadly?) my next car choice will probably heavily revolve around this type of integration.
I don't think it's weird, I think it's pretty important. I can't say I would would buy a random car just because it has this feature, but I could definitely see it being the tiebreaker between two cars I like, if one supports it (or supports it better) and the other does not.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:57 AM   #50
eelay
macrumors newbie

Quote:
That's sad indeed ...
eelay is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion