Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Hi. I'm trying to install Flashrom 0.9.7 on OS X v10.9.2 and I download the source, and then use terminal commands

cd
make

AND I get an error

Checking for libpci headers... .test.c:3:10: fatal error: 'pci/pci.h' file not found
#include <pci/pci.h>

So I read that I need to install PCUtils, and again, using the cd and then make, I get an error

192:~ ouimetnick$ cd /Users/ouimetnick/Desktop/flashrom/pciutils-3.1.9
192:pciutils-3.1.9 ouimetnick$ make
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C lib all
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices.h', needed by `DirectHW.o'. Stop.
make: *** [lib/libpci.a] Error 2
192:pciutils-3.1.9 ouimetnick$

How do I fix and install this?

Also, DirectHW needs to be installed, and when attempting to install that (using the cd, and then make command), I get the following

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
CompileC build/DirectHW.build/Release/KEXT.build/Objects-normal/i386/DirectHW.o DirectHW.cpp normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
(1 failure)
make: *** [build] Error 65
192:DirectHW ouimetnick$

Could anyone offer some help? I want to get Flashrom running so I can use my Bus Pirate.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I would suggest against trying to install programs from source code yourself, especially if you can't get past the types of errors you're getting now, because they're quite likely going to get a lot uglier once you get these solved.

Instead, I would look for Flashrom on MacPorts or Brew install the program (either MacPorts or Brew - both have easy to use installers with GUIs) and then use their command lines to install Flashrom. They'll automatically download and install any other intermediate programs you need along the way.

Edit: Are you sure anyone has ever successfully gotten this to compile on OS X?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I would suggest against trying to install programs from source code yourself, especially if you can't get past the types of errors you're getting now, because they're quite likely going to get a lot uglier once you get these solved.

Instead, I would look for Flashrom on MacPorts or Brew install the program (either MacPorts or Brew - both have easy to use installers with GUIs) and then use their command lines to install Flashrom. They'll automatically download and install any other intermediate programs you need along the way.

Edit: Are you sure anyone has ever successfully gotten this to compile on OS X?

I've seen blog posts where the author used Flashrom on OS X. The Flashrom site also claims it can be done. Do you know what the reason might be as to why they (Flashrom) doesn't offer their work wrapped up in a nifty installer? I'm sure there is a reason.. Not sure if it makes sense though.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've seen blog posts where the author used Flashrom on OS X. The Flashrom site also claims it can be done. Do you know what the reason might be as to why they (Flashrom) doesn't offer their work wrapped up in a nifty installer? I'm sure there is a reason.. Not sure if it makes sense though.

This is an alternative you may not of thought of to getting this program to compile for OS X: you could set up a Linux VM and install Flashrom in it instead. I imagine that that will be easier than modifying make scripts and searching for dependencies.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
This is an alternative you may not of thought of to getting this program to compile for OS X: you could set up a Linux VM and install Flashrom in it instead. I imagine that that will be easier than modifying make scripts and searching for dependencies.

I do have Virtual Box installed and Debian installed on that. Installing Flashrom was a snap, and on OS X I have ZTerm to connect to the Bus Pirate, but can't figure out if I'm typing the commands wrong or if Debian doesn't see the BP.

I also installed Ubuntu on a Dell Latitude D520 and also installed Flashrom on that. So if I can't get it working with VB, I could just use a computer that boots natively into an OS with Flashrom on it.

But I would prefer (if I can) to get Flashrom running on OS X. Like I mentioned previously; is there a good excuse as to why they don't prepackage it into a simple DMG with a .pkg or .mpkg?

Would save a lot of hassle. Also I wonder if it is lazyness or a good reason why they don't have a front end GUI. I don't have any issues learning the commands needed, but a GUI is more user friendly. Regardless, at least it is free and open source.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
is there a good excuse as to why they don't prepackage it into a simple DMG with a .pkg or .mpkg?

Would save a lot of hassle. Also I wonder if it is lazyness or a good reason why they don't have a front end GUI. I don't have any issues learning the commands needed, but a GUI is more user friendly. Regardless, at least it is free and open source.

Because no one has done it? That's the way open source projects work - you're really not in a position to complain about missing features because you're just as guilty of not implementing it as anyone else is. The people who have taken the time to understand the code and make it build are comfortable with it the way it is. They don't need a handy GUI because they know the terminal commands. They don't need to prepackage it because they know how to build it from source. If you want them to make those things for you, then you should offer money for it. That's how OS's like OS X and Red Hat come to be - someone decides that it's worth it to put in features that they don't personally need but the less savvy users will find helpful because those less savvy users are willing to pay for it.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
OS X is mentioned in their list of supported systems. Are you running the most current version?

Have you looked at the web page for the project? It seems they have a mailing list and an IRC channel.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
OS X is mentioned in their list of supported systems. Are you running the most current version?

Have you looked at the web page for the project? It seems they have a mailing list and an IRC channel.

I joined the mailing list and posted my questions with the errors a few days ago. (pretty much the same as what I posted here)

No one has replied yet.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
You get what you pay for...

I got everything running on Ubuntu. Instructions are actually English, although not very clear. Not sure why they waste time by not actually supporting OS X.

If you are going to put the time and effort into something, make it decent, not trash.

FireFox, Handbreak, and other apps are open source and free, and don't suck. They provide it in a simple installer, and put time and effort into making a UI. Now Flashrom doesn't need a UI, but why don't they either provide tested instructions on how to build it, or provide an installer that takes care of it? Also instructions on how to actually use it would be nice.

Guess it's better than nothing, but still really half assed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.