Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I have Mac OS 10.8.5 and I'm not sure what I was doing but all of a sudden I have an icon on my Desktop for All My Files. Where is this icon supposed to be?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like you accidentally dragged All My Files from the top of the Finder (screenshot below) onto the Desktop. You can just drag it to the trash.

LFk90G7.png

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
You can just drag it to the trash.
But it has data in it. Or is that just a duplicate copy?

Also, I tried to duplicate dragging it from the top of finder and it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But it has data in it. Or is that just a duplicate copy?

Also, I tried to duplicate dragging it from the top of finder and it doesn't work.

If you select it then do command-i you should see that it is just a saved search. I dragged it straight from the top of Finder to the desktop to test before my earlier post to you and it did create the desktop link.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Weaselboy,

Okay got it to work. The problem was I was not dragging the tiny icon on Finder. I was trying to drag the title.

But I'm concerned about the size of the saved search All My Files icon, it's 1.5mb.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy,

Okay got it to work. The problem was I was not dragging the tiny icon on Finder. I was trying to drag the title.

But I'm concerned about the size of the saved search All My Files icon, it's 1.5mb.

That is normal. Just go ahead and delete it. I just did another test and the Desktop link I made was 1.7MB. It looks like it varies in size depending on the saved search results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.