Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I met Sarah Jessica Parker at the first showing of 'Seussical', which sucked btw.

Did you give her a carrot or some sugar cubes to munch on? :D:D

----------

I actually know Nickelback and all of their staff. :)

No one else is really coming to mind right now...

Well, if Nickelback is the best you can do, than thanks but we don't need to hear the rest :D:D

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Hayden Panettiere, Jewel Strait, James Masters, Anthony Stewart Head, Eliza Dushku, Frank Cho, Niel Gaiman, Armin Shimerman, Terry Moore, Courtney Pine, Jewel.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
A friend of mine was Billy Joel's guitarist back in the early 70's so I got to hang out with him during 1971-1973 period. Became good friends with his drummer Rhys Clark. We still see each other when he comes to New York. Thru Billy, I met Todd Rundgren, Carly Simon, and several others. I also grew up with Rod Morgenstein, Winger and The Dixie Dregs drummer

Also met:

Stanley Clark
Jaco Pastorius
Debbie Reynolds
Johnny Carson (his son Cory was my roomate at private school in 1965)
Geraldo Rivera (a complete jerk)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Hayden Panettiere, Jewel Strait, James Masters, Anthony Stewart Head, Eliza Dushku, Frank Cho, Niel Gaiman, Armin Shimerman, Terry Moore, Courtney Pine, Jewel.

Where'd you meet Hayden and what's she like in person? I'm going to be her second husband so I need to know :D.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
We spent Xmas in NYC in 2011, while waiting at the gate in Toronto I thought that one guy looked kind of familiar. We got on the plane and he sat 2 seats beside me, then he started to talk about guitars with the guy he was travelling with... turned out to be Frank Aresti of Fates Warning - I didn't really want to bother him but when we got up to leave the plane, I said hi and that I'm a huge fan, we had a brief talk about their music and he seemed to be more surprised to be recognized than I was blown away by the coincidence...

During/before/after some concerts mostly, since most are relatively unknown bands, that happened frequently:

Ron Jarzombek and Doug Keyser from WatchTower in 1990 - the greatest guys ever, they made an effort of bothering the other two guys in the tour bus to get me a signed tour plan...

Mike Portnoy in 1993 in Bonn, he took a pics of my two friends and me as he loved our shirts (one ...When Dream and Day unite, one WatchTower - Energetic Disassembly Shirt and one Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian shirt)

Martin Orford from IQ/Jadis and the whole band Enchant in 1995-ish in Bonn, we had a great chat and they asked for some restaurant suggestions.

Alexander Veljanov from Deine Lakaien in Cologne in 1998 or so, at least back then he hung out a lot with fans after the shows.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I've met some of the Star Trek actors at conventions but the biggest celeb I've met is Mariah Carey in 2009. I was so star struck I didn't have much to say. I've been a fan for over 20 years and never thought I'd get the chance to see her in real life. I entered a competition to meet her and didn't expect to win as I never win anything. Then I found out only a few hours before that I had won. It still feels surreal even now.

PreacherKane

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
London, England
I used to work in a Hospital back in the day and they were opening a new wing with Outpatients - A & E.
Princess Diana was the royalty they got to walk around and met people. I should have been somewhere else, working on something else but I just stood around and got to meet here. Very tall and regal lady.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I used to work in a Hospital back in the day and they were opening a new wing with Outpatients - A & E.

Princess Diana was the royalty they got to walk around and met people. I should have been somewhere else, working on something else but I just stood around and got to meet here. Very tall and regal lady.

I met her dad once. I was born a few miles away from the Spencer family home (Althorp House) and me and my parents were having a walk around the grounds and bumped into him out and about in his slippers. He stopped and had a chat with us. Seemed like a nice fella.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Hello all. The other day I ran into Anna Paquin (of X-Men and The Piano fame) at a rehearsal studio in NYC. Which prompted me to post this question:

Have you ever met any celebrities? If so, post their pics!

EDIT: I should also say I've run into the following:
Donald Sutherland (at my brother's college Senior Prom!)
Diane Wiest (on the street in NYC)
Elijah Wood (on the street in NYC)
Mark Hamill (on the street in NYC)
Stanley Tucci (in Central Park, NYC)
Natalie Portman (in Central Park also)
Tony Kushner (at college)
Jimmy Smits (at college)
John Cleese (college also)
Jeremy Irons (at NY City Opera)
Stephen Sondheim (several times in NYC)
Elaine Paige (at NY City Opera)
Rebecca Romjin (on the street in NYC)
Scott Glenn (sitting across from me on the subway)
Cindy Lauper (on the street in NYC)
Tony Curtis (on the street in NYC)
Paul Schaeffer (eating with Richard Belzer in a restaurant in NYC)

And I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now...

Here's Ms. Paquin:

you americans.. :p I have met some celebrities but 95% you guys won't know who they are because they are not world famous :p.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Nothing like a name dropping game.

I'll refrain (for now) given my jaded existence in Tinsel Town. I admit only being "star struck" by one and the numbers of folks is in the dozens. Glad everyone here has a good sense of humour about themselves and curious what others have to share.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I met Robert Downey Jr purely by mistake. I guess he was doing some filming for a movie in my home City of Attleboro, Ma. For some reason the SUV he was a passenger in was parked at the rear of a local auto parts store. I was coming out with stuff for my truck and this guy asks me if I had a light. That guy was IronMan himself. We walked to my truck and I gave him a lighter. He thanked me and asked if I wanted a smoke. Ive been battling quitting but i took one and spent 5 mins smoking and shooting the ****. Mostly about why he was in Attleboro of all places. He's an ok guy in my book.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I usually meet them somewhere in LA when I go to a restaurant, or at movie premiers and some at shows.

Neve Campbell
John Cusack
Joe Pesci
Katie Holmes
James Franco
Kirsten Dunst
Cuba Gooding, Jr
Lucy Lui
Ali Larter
Amy Smart
Eliza Dushku
Leslie Jordan
Jane Lynch
Lea Michele
Cory Monteith
Chris Colfer
Mark Salling
Jenna Ushkowitz
Thomas Ian Nicholas
Seann William Scott
Apl De Ap
Nicole Kidman
Tom Cruise
Ashton Holmes

...there's several more, but can't remember them right now.

Last edited:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
When I worked at Nationwide Arena doing security, I met a lot of athletes and musicians, I'm only counting the ones I got to talk to;

Jody Shelley (He was such a sweetheart, when he wasn't stealing my soda or accusing me of stealing his shoes.... I only did that once, all the other times it was Rick Nash)
Rick Nash (see above)
Tim McGraw
Faith Hill (I asked her for ID, because I didn't know who she was, and got ribbed for it by the guys I worked with)
Mick Jagger (he was warming up for a show and we chatted about soccer and fashion)
Paul "Big Show" White
Stephanie McMahon (she actually suggested I try wrestling, as being a 6'1" woman, I can be intimidating apparently)
Ric Flair
Rey Mysterio Jr (I mistook him for a kid in a secure area, he was sweet about it and forgave me)

Since I've been working off an on in the comic industry, I've got to meet and talk to;

Stan "the Man" Lee
Kevin Smith
Jeph Loeb (Head of Marvel Television)
Ellen Page
Grey DeLisle
Tara Strong
Gail Simone (My personal hero)
Takeuchi Naoko
Takemiya Jin
Saito Chiho

I've gotten to interact with some "cosplay celebrities" as well.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
I met Ted Nugent in an archery store outside of Detroit back when I was younger and he wasn't so crazy and still making music. It was awesome. We shot bows side by side for about 3 hours.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I usually meet them somewhere in LA when I go to a restaurant, or at movie premiers and some at

Jane Lynch
Lea Michele
Cory Monteith
Chris Colfer

...there's several more, but can't remember them right now.

...Was Glee having a dinner party? Joe Pesci and James Franco; that's impressive.

Which restaurants do you frequent in L.A.?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
...Was Glee having a dinner party? Joe Pesci and James Franco; that's impressive.

Which restaurants do you frequent in L.A.?

For the Glee, I was actually on set during a filming. My friend invited me and I got to meet some of them. Joe Pesci, I met some time ago at a show. I was closing the door and he yelled for me to keep it open, then when I realized it was him I spoke to him. James Franco, I met at the first Spiderman premiere - really nice guy.

A lot of restaurants in the Silver Lake/Los Feliz or West Hollywood areas, some in Beverly Hills as well. Some have been at The Ivy, Alcove, Home, Crustaceans, etc

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
This thread, or ones like it, have been here before but here it goes from first to most recent:

Other than concerts or shows, I got to meet a few, and in some cases talk to them.

Childhood, met Kojak co-star Kevin Dobson at photo op booth at county fair.

Teens, saw Clint Eastwood in restaurant where I was the only other person there, but he ate there a few times a week.

High school, I talked to Al Jardine, Beach Boy, a few times about music and we lived in same town. He also mentioned TM which he was into.

College, I was in return line at Sears and John Travolta was in line and lived a couple of cities away.

I went to a small rock and roll show for the World's Cutest Killers and went backstage and talked with Kathy Valentine and Kelly Johnson. Kathy talked to me some about the Go-Go's and the music business in general. It was Kathy who invited us backstage and it was the only time I hung out with a band backstage and pretty much it's there I realized that it was a job and hard work.

After college, I saw OJ Simpson at my hotel job and earlier he hung out with employees but I missed that.

I helped Doris Day at a hardware store I worked at as well as David Packard and Alan Shepard the astronaut. I saw Peter Gabriel with then girlfriend Rosanna Arquette as well as Joan Fontaine.

I ate at restaurant near golf course and saw Huey Lewis there.

I was in a band where Barry Cowsill of the band The Cowsills would hang out with us and jammed with us at a gig we did in a coffee shop and I knew him later on in life after music when I was a gardener for apartment complex he lived in. He told me most of what I know about the music business.

I saw Clint a couple of more times.

I would see John Madden often hang out at the bench of the small town market and hang out with locals since he had a summer house nearby.

I saw Yoko Ono at an art show of John Lennon's art.

And most recently I saw a speech by John Nash, the famous schizophrenic mathematician.

T.Doyobi

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2013
Hardly ever met anyone particularly famous except this one time when I went to a gig in Manchester. There was a guy at the door that I kinda recognised and I was having a cigarette outside at the time. Anyway I asked him if I could smoke inside and he said something like 'so long as we don't see you' I thought, I know him from somewhere. Then he came on stage to introduce the band, and it was John Peel, he was there with his radio show. Maybe you guys from the states might not of heard of him but he was a popular DJ with us here in the UK as his radio show played a wild variety of under the radar music that you could easily hear a new band on it that you may really like. Mostly stuff that the other radio DJ's weren't really playing. Unfortunately he is dead now but he is something of a legend over here. I live in the town where he went to school now!

Attachments

• johnpeel.jpg
    johnpeel.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 251
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.