Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Has anyone used glass screen protectors on the iPhone 5S? They are moderately thicker than regular plastic screen protectors, do they interfere with the touch ID mechanism?

Thanks

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Yeah huh!

I have the Bodyguardz Pure - Glass Screen Protector for my iPhone 5S.
I have to say that it is as clear and responsive as a naked iPhone, while having a decent oleophobic coating making the screen quite easy to maintain.

With regard to your question, although it might be on the thick side (being 0.4mm thick), I did not find any issues while using the TouchID.
Comparing my mate's iPhone 5S (without a glass screen protector), I felt like there was a slight depression on the TouchID (at my end), as in the home button was slightly recessed.

As mentioned by the others on this forum, this indent (read: recessed home button) is not enough to hinder the TouchID in anyway possible.
Although some may not like the feel of it. So you may have to check it out for yourself to finally decide.

I personally do not find any issue with it and I love the feel of the glass protector as I have always had a soft spot for them.
The pros def outweigh the cons!
:)

Last edited:

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I have the iloome flex for my 5S and I can't even tell there is a screen protector on it. It's the best of all the glass protectors that i've come across.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Another vote for the iloome flex. I had the pure on my 5 but I couldn't stand using it without a home button cover. I tired the armorz stealth hd because it claimed to be .2mm on Amazon but when I received it the box said .3 and it was almost as thick as the pure. The flex is so thin you can't feel it when you touch the home button. The pure did a little better with fingerprints but it's worth it to me to have a thinner protector and the price is hard to beat.

Lux12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
No problems with my MIME feather glass it comes in at .15mm probably one of the thinnest glass screen protectors out there. No discomfort on the home button at all and Touch ID works perfectly fine

beastmode16

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
I've been using a zagg glass for the last couple of weeks on my 5s perfectly fine with touch id I recommend you use on of those snap on cases that barely go over the front to align it perfectly so you will have no issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.