Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Where does iphone store deleted text messages?
I text my friend (my iphone to her blackberry). She text me back. I than deleted all conversations on my iphone. When I text her again a couple days later, my last text and her reply is on my new text to her. There is a string of conversations that goes back for days on her Blackberry. No matter how many times she deleted her text messages or I deleted mine. Anyone knows how to make the string not show up?

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I have never had that issue. You delete the whole text and not just the convo?

inut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Deleted SMS text messages in iphone

I first clear the conversation. Than I delete the text message. When she send me a message, my iphone only shows her message. When I send her a message, old messages from days past show up on her phone. Is it the iphone or the Blackberry that's storing the deleted texts?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I first clear the conversation. Than I delete the text message. When she send me a message, my iphone only shows her message. When I send her a message, old messages from days past show up on her phone. Is it the iphone or the Blackberry that's storing the deleted texts?

blackberry probably. It would be very unlikely that your phone would be able to send a full conversation especially since there is no formatted text in text messages and a 140* 160 character limit.

*edit: I'm too used to twitter.

inut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Deleted SMS text messages in iphone

Does anyone know how she can fix that on her phone? Some setting Tweak?

Boxheed

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
what?! the iphone text has only a 10 character limit?! If ur right that is ridiculous

inut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Strange that not more people have this problem. So the question remains, where does iPhone store text messages? There is a setting for how long you want to keep deleted emails but not for deleted text?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Strange that not more people have this problem. So the question remains, where does iPhone store text messages? There is a setting for how long you want to keep deleted emails but not for deleted text?

When they're deleted they're really deleted. The iPhone doesn't store deleted texts. I already told you that the issue is with the blackberry.

JasperKelly

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
if you are certain that you have those text message in the icloud backup, then do this.
Go to settings - general - reset - erase all contents and settings - this will wipe your phone clean, then when it boots back up, you'll have the option to restore from your icloud backup. Your phone will restore to that backup, anything current you have will be erased.So you can get back your iphone messages.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.