Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
If it was hardware related the issue would be present on iOS6 as well (assuming you are talking about an unrelated Safari issue you are experiencing).

I think my issue is the same as most everyone else is reporting. I am just questioning if 1GB of RAM is enough to keep Safari or Chrome from reloading pages and crashing daily. I have the same experience whether I use Safari or Chrome. Is 1GB realistically enough for a 64 bit system?

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Mine only tends to fail if my hands are a little greasy or damp. Other than that its pretty floorless.

GavApple

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
UK
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.

Really? You must be part of the very small % that think that. It has worked brilliantly for most people, and this update will increase those numbers. Compare it to the S5's take on the technoligy, it is excellent!!

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I always assumed it was because my fingers are taking a beaten with the cold northeast weather. I totally gave up on Touch ID, I would have to reset it once a week. Not worth the time to do that over just the four digit passcode each time that I'm used to with my other i-devices.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Yes, my point exactly - hence why Voice Biometrics would be great for the iPhone or any phone.

There are technologies on the network side that could filter background noise, but ultimately, noise reduction should be implemented in hardware to get the cleanest possible recording prior to transmission. Such technology would help speaker phone functionality too - so it would be worth Apple's while to implement better noise cancellation.

Apple actually does have pretty good noise cancellation on the iPhone. That's the distinguishing hardware feature between the models that support Siri, and the models that don't. There are limits to what can be done in uncontrolled environments.

Voice biometrics are bad for security. It's the easiest to duplicate/mimic, and the most likely to change significantly due to illness, tiredness, etc.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It's not related to the fix of Touch ID fading (the topic of this thread), thus it's unrelated.

How long is a piece of string?

I voiced a legitimate concern and respectfully answered your question, no need to be sarcastic.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
seems like mine has gotten really bad in the past few weeks. I just turned it off it was annoying me so much.

doubt it is just from the cold or snow up here.

hankito

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
No fading here

I have 4 fingers registered and the only time I have a problem is (obviously) when my fingers are wet, dirty or greasy. I'm not sure where fading-gate is coming from.

Have you considered that you can't use touch ID with your gloves on? ;)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
In my experience....

about 75% of the time, Touch ID scans my print successfully on the first try
about 22% of the time, I get one or two "try again"s before finally getting in
about 1% of the time, I keep getting "try again"s until it forces me to use the passcode
about 1% of the time, the sensor seems to stop responding altogether (no "try again") and I swipe over to use the passcode
about 1% of the time, it scans my print and seems to unlock my phone, and then I get an unexpected Apple logo and it looks like my phone reboots.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Voice biometrics are bad for security. It's the easiest to duplicate/mimic, and the most likely to change significantly due to illness, tiredness, etc.

"Voice biometrics are bad for security" that's a silly comment...

You can easily do playback detection or liveness detection with voice biometrics to counter recordings - it's not a major issue. Voice biometrics is pretty resilient to changes in environment or voice, accuracy in major engines only drop slightly.

Voice Biometrics has a lot of upside for mobile use - handsfree, compatible with current Bluetooth Speakerphone technology, ability to deploy voice biometrics engine in the cloud for perpetual engine upgrade, sharable print technology across multiple applications - i.e. Siri could theoretically use voice biometrics data to do intelligent personalization. All possible with today's technology ... and voice biometrics is proven in the market place in major financial institutions too.

That's the distinguishing hardware feature between the models that support Siri, and the models that don't. There are limits to what can be done in uncontrolled environments..

Siri runs fine on hardware without dedicated noise cancellation - Apple only made it mandatory to sell new phones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.