Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:45 AM   #51
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrand7 View Post
Who are you referring to?
Tim Cook.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:52 AM   #52
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Here is the link from when Fred Anderson, the previous CFO left in anyone is interested. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=59114
Koodauw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:53 AM   #53
Solomani
macrumors 68000

How a corporation (like Apple) spends its money on acquisitions is one of the things that a CFO oversees. His advice and input on the matter will certainly be given a heavy consideration.

Perhaps…. the new CFO Luca Maestri will be a little different, and will be more aggressive with using Apple's cash hoard?
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:55 AM   #54
jonnyb098
macrumors 65816

Good for Peter. Now he wont have to listen to all the whining ANALysts every quarter when Apple earns more year over year and the continue to whine and moan like little babies. Apple didn't get to where it is listening to whining suits.

They wanted a smart watch and samsung gave us one......and IT SUCKS. Truth is they don't know what the hell they want and should shut their mouths.
jonnyb098 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:04 AM   #55
macduke
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_iBoy View Post
It's a perspective I think I'll never have. So when he dies, maybe there will be another zero at the end of his bank account balance?

Maybe I'm just lazy, but if I ever managed to save a small fraction of what these high level execs pull in, I would retire. I mean RETIRE retire, not retire and go on to some other position elsewhere.

Think of it. All the resources you'd need to have a lovely home(s), travel wherever you wanted, and be generous to your loved ones and any charitable causes that struck your fancy.

Unless being a comptroller THRILLED me to death, I would be out and done years ago to enjoy the years I have on earth and explore every nook of the planet.
I hear this argument a lot, and for the most part I agree on a personal level. For instance, if I won the lottery (which I don't play) then I would give a sizable amount to charity and spend the rest of my life helping to raise my daughter instead of some stranger, traveling the world as a photographer and spend some time becoming a better painter. I wouldn't just stop doing everything, but focus more on my passions which only pay part of my bills as a designer.

But that's what separates most normal people from the insanely rich. Not all rich people—especially those born into riches. I'm talking about first generation rich. Lots of these people are incredibly driven to succeed, even after accomplishing many things. They just keep going because it's in their blood. This is part of why they were able to become rich in the first place, and a good part of the reason why most normal people don't become rich. We're lazier. Not lazy—just not as neurotic as these people who obsess over their work. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Everyone has their priorities. But trying to get these people to completely retire is kind of like telling them to stop being who they are. They just can't because work isn't work to them. It's another challenge to overcome. It's another reason to keep going. It's their life and they wouldn't choose to do otherwise because it would be less fun to them.

Like most traits, it's admirable to a certain extent. Everything in moderation. If I got bored with my theoretical post-lottery life, I would open up some sort of creative studio. Either gaming, design, or art. Maybe I would make more money, but I'd be having fun. I would probably guess that most people who win the lottery get bored. Maybe because they weren't passionate about anything before they became rich? If you were bored and boring before getting money, then chances are you will be bored and boring after getting money. You'll just feel worse because you'll think "I have all this money, why do I feel this way?" and try to spend yourself into a better life.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:08 AM   #56
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_iBoy View Post
It's a perspective I think I'll never have. So when he dies, maybe there will be another zero at the end of his bank account balance?

Maybe I'm just lazy, but if I ever managed to save a small fraction of what these high level execs pull in, I would retire. I mean RETIRE retire, not retire and go on to some other position elsewhere.

Think of it. All the resources you'd need to have a lovely home(s), travel wherever you wanted, and be generous to your loved ones and any charitable causes that struck your fancy.

Unless being a comptroller THRILLED me to death, I would be out and done years ago to enjoy the years I have on earth and explore every nook of the planet.
Some of this work is probably more fun than you realize. Also, when "just one more year" add another $3 million to your bank account, it is probably harder to walk away than you realize.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:17 AM   #57
sportsfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
He's on the board of directors. That is not a full time job. Even so, board of directors usually don't get paid. If he is getting paid, it won't even be close to a fraction of what he was making at Apple. Besides, as I said, being on the board of directors is not a full time job. Tim Cook is on the board of directors at Nike, yet he still finds time to run Apple
Board of directors. CEO pay raise? rubber stamp
Ceo pay raise? rubber stamp...etc. All across the F500...
sportsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:18 AM   #58
mccldwll
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
Can't wait for that current idiot to retire.

Speaking of idiots, a statement like that reflects far worse on you than it ever would on Cook. Anyone who knows anything about Cook knows that's the furthest thing from the truth. However, anyone who knows anything about you......
mccldwll is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:18 AM   #59
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
He's on the board of directors. That is not a full time job. Even so, board of directors usually don't get paid. If he is getting paid, it won't even be close to a fraction of what he was making at Apple. Besides, as I said, being on the board of directors is not a full time job. Tim Cook is on the board of directors at Nike, yet he still finds time to run Apple
and Eddie Cue is on Ferrari's board.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:39 AM   #60
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak825 View Post
Being on a board is like a once a month job. It is not full time.
So basically they are bored members.
BornAgainMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:42 AM   #61
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
Off to work for a bank eh?

Good riddance.
Guess you left your reading comprehension someplace else. He's not going to work for Goldman Sachs he's joining their board.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:57 AM   #62
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
He is joining goldmans board. He will be doing considerably less work. He probably just wanted to retire from working everyday in a high stress job. Good luck to him. He served Apple well.
Considerably less work but also considerable amount of power on a world wide scale. The GS board is probably briefed on all major economic issues and movements and being part of the meetings where one of the most powerful private companies contemplates its next move has got be more interesting than playing even more golf. It is not a full time job or even a part time job, but it will probably be very interesting. Seems like a great move.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:01 AM   #63
mccldwll
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
Considerably less work but also considerable amount of power on a world wide scale. The GS board is probably briefed on all major economic issues and movements and being part of the meetings where one of the most powerful private companies contemplates its next move has got be more interesting than playing even more golf. It is not a full time job or even a part time job, but it will probably be very interesting. Seems like a great move.

Not exactly private.
mccldwll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:07 AM   #64
elev8d
macrumors regular

Quote:
Incorrect. Average person sitting on a Board at a fortune 500 company makes $234K/yr for about 4 hours of work a week. It's the best job you can have.

Source: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/p...irectors.html/
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:13 AM   #65
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
If I was a financial officer in Apple, I'd leave as well after Cook announced he's a crazy fool that won't disclose spending to investors. There is no mistake why this man is leaving a couple days after Cook's bizarre flip out; there are no coincidences.
There must have been some events that happened in your world but not in mine. There was an event a few days ago where Tim Cook sent some ******** packing on the shareholder meeting, but that was generally applauded.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:14 AM   #66
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteullo View Post
Actually, I think it's everyone's business. They are responsible for many investor's money.
And he will no longer be responsible for investors money, seeing as he just announced his retirement. Explain again how thats any of our business what he chooses to do after leaving Apple?
Millah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:15 AM   #67
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
I would love to know how much Goldman Sachs is paying him to leave.
Let me throw another idea, maybe he wanted a new challenge? I don't always leave for a higher wage, so long as the potential is there....
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:20 AM   #68
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by icloud87 View Post
now,some apple leader leave company ,

scott forstall
bob mansfield
and this guy and couple more guy

apple leader now how many left , 7 or 8

these could tell , apple going down slowly
Safari needs to add something that goes way beyond a spelling checker

Well, Bob Mansfield... A few Apple employees reading this are asking him right now: "Bob, I thought you left? What are you doing here? ". Then there is this new guy, Luca Maestri. Guess what: In every company, people start, people get promoted, people leave.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:36 AM   #69
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Let me throw another idea, maybe he wanted a new challenge? I don't always leave for a higher wage, so long as the potential is there....
Maybe it doesn't matter if you make $30 mil and take a pay cut to $25 mil but it does matter when you are making $250k and take a pay cut to $175k
luckydcxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:50 AM   #70
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

You have to realize something.

You are a C level employee. You are used to hard work, decision making, and probably a large salary.

It's hard to just stop working and 'retire'. People need something to keep occupied - even work related still. Granted being on the BOD isn't time consuming, but at least its something.

Vacations are only vacations when you work for it. If you vacation all year long for the next 20 years, the vacations start to seem like work.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:07 PM   #71
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by elev8d View Post
Incorrect. Average person sitting on a Board at a fortune 500 company makes $234K/yr for about 4 hours of work a week. It's the best job you can have.

Source: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/p...irectors.html/
As much as $234K is, that's not even a fraction of what he makes at Apple.
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:26 PM   #72
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Not really anyone's business, is it.
He did not say he DEMANDS to know.
Although it should be peoples right to know how much the criminals at Goldman Sachs take for themselves after they stole it from the working people.
anomie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:55 PM   #73
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If you think he's not gonna be getting paid as a BOD for goldman sachs you're sadly misinformed LOL.

Technically he may not have a SALARY but....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
If I was a financial officer in Apple, I'd leave as well after Cook announced he's a crazy fool that won't disclose spending to investors. There is no mistake why this man is leaving a couple days after Cook's bizarre flip out; there are no coincidences.
Spot on the money
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 01:00 PM   #74
doctor-don
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Not really anyone's business, is it.
Not if you live outside the U.S., but for those who see all these exorbitant payoffs to people who work at big businesses, we wonder why there are 20-25 per cent of our children who are going to bed hungry and why our veterans cannot get the treatment they need when they return from combat zones.
doctor-don is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 01:01 PM   #75
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Lot of complaining going on here. So he leaves? Who cares, he did the number crunching.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion