Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Open source web and Mac application Cryptocat is now available on iOS. Designed to allow secure online chatting, the app encrypts chat messages to allow users to have single and group conversations that are secure and unable to be intercepted or monitored.

cryptocat.jpg
Everyone's favourite privacy-loving cat is now on iPhone! Get an encrypted cat in your pocket, have private chats with friends any time.

Easily have group conversations with your friends without fearing monitoring or interception. Cryptocat is free, open chat that aims to provide an open, accessible Instant Messaging environment with a transparent layer of encryption that's easy to use.
Unlike other secure chat apps, including Confide, Cryptocat does not require usernames, email addresses, or accounts to use, with users entering a one-time nickname to chat. There are also no buddy lists or account history, making conversations ephemeral.

According to the developers, Cryptocat is a native iPhone application that uses iOS APIs rather than web cryptography, but it is designed to work seamlessly with other Cryptocat clients. Along with an iOS app, Cryptocat is also available for the Mac and as a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

Cryptocat was originally announced for iOS in December, but the app was initially rejected by Apple, a decision that has since been reversed. According to the app's developer, who spoke to The Verge, the issues with Apple have been resolved.
"There was some very important help given by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and we ended up scheduling a conversation with Apple, and after a while Apple was very gracious and understanding," he said. "I couldn't be happier with Apple right now."
Cryptocat can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Encrypted Chat App 'Cryptocat' Launches on iOS

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I'm content with iMessage. Don't see the need for another app. I understand that if you are talking to someone not an iPhone you may want an app that is more secure than SMS, but I just try not to message anyone that fails to have an iPhone. :D

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I'm sure iMessage uses "NSA approved" encryption, anyway. I'd like to think differently, but I'm yet to see the case for ANY encryption that wasn't "approved" by NSA and therefore vulnerable.

iMessage would be enough for me if there was functioning encryption.

So what does Cryptocat offer iOS & Mac owners? The ability to chat securely to non-iOS and Mac owners? Some appeal, I guess.

How do we know Cryptocat encryption is good. Anybody read the terms of service?

What servers are they using, and how vulnerable are they? Chat servers are not a cheap thing to set up. Cheaper than video servers, but still a substantial exercise and I'm yet to see a revenue model.

Just as snapchat was found to be keeping everything, have we done our due diligence on this? And can their funding be traced back to the State Department?

Just asking, Honeypot.

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I can see how the extremely paranoid, or those on the shadier side of the law, would go for this. Anything by a big corporation is already suspect in their eyes, even a service like BBM.
To be fair, the NSA and various other 3-letter agencies are doing their best to thwart privacy and secrecy "in the national interest", forcing US companies like Skype/Microsoft to put in backdoors. And being a non-US citizen, even the supposed safeguards against spying on US citizens which they obviously haven't been adhering to, is not an issue for them. They believe in "big data", scouring up as much data as possible, regardless of how relevant at the time, "just in case".
But for most of us, in the West at least, it is not a concern, esp as iMessage's end-to-end encryption is good enough, whether or not the NSA has a backdoor, which really comes down to whether you trust Apple's commitment to our privacy and assurances even they can't read them (whether or not it is "theoretically" possible as has been shown) and their strong assurance the government would have to cart away their servers to get at it. But on the whole, we mainly care about cyber criminals stealing our personal details, and to that end, iMessage is all we need or want AS LONG AS the recipient has an iPhone. Which is where all those myriad of other messenger apps come in.

This one lives on the Paranoid end of the spectrum, which is fair enough. Esp for those not fortunate enough to live in a fairly free country where you live without fear of persecution for things like your religious or political beliefs, ethnicity or sexual orientation, either of which might get you life in a prison camp, or torture and death. In various countries like China, which probably wouldn't allow an app like this anyway, it is a genuine concern, there are good sound reasons to be paranoid if you are in a group they disapprove of, say from Tibet or member of Falun Gung or a Democracy group.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
How are they distributing keys? Are they using one shared key for all encryption? If so, it's useless, it wouldn't take long for someone to go through the app and get the key. Can't make a session by session key without some way to distribute the key; which can be monitored. Almost every Public Key service is vulnerable to key requests and thus almost meaningless.

If they are use the built in iOS AES engine than it will be encrypted the same as iMessages. If they rolled their own, then who is to say that it's more secure? Prove it. AES is an excellent engine. Often the engines are OK, the key security and establishment of the encrypted handshake is what leaves the door open to vulnerabilities.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Hmmm, talked with Apple huh.....

Do I have a feeling Apple might end up buying this company and integrate it into iMessages?

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
And probably the most expensive.

Maybe. I think $2 is a small price to pay for something done right in this particular case. I had a really hard time finding an app that worked in both iOS and Android that wasn't cumbersome in iOS. There's probably new solutions, but they were beat to the punch - I have no reason to switch now.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
Why do people need encrypted messages? Seriously, what do you have to hide? The only people that would actually need to use private messaging is murderers and child abusers

Spades2013

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Threema

They don't offer a public encryption validation service like Threema does, do they?

Thanks, Coreforce. I tried Threema due to your mention and it's excellent. ECC plus no man-in-the-middle is a good solution.

BTW, my view is that EVERYTHING should be encrypted. Then it's hard for snoopers to know which are the important messages and which are about buying a load of bread.

Reactions: riscy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.