Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TwelveSouth today introduced the new SurfacePad for iPad mini, an compact leather case that's able to double as a viewing stand and a desktop typing wedge.

The case, which is billed as a simple leather wrap, uses an adhesive backing to hold the iPad mini in place, cutting down on bulk and allowing it to function without an enclosing framework.

surfacepad.jpg
With hidden magnets build into the inside of the cover, it can be propped into two separate positions for viewing and typing, and as with most iPad cases, the SurfacePad offers sleep/wake functionality.

surfacepad1.jpg
Slide iPad up along the inside cover and hidden magnets magically reach out to grab the edge of iPad. This cool trick replaces the need for extra sewn-in stops or notches. If the angle's not quite right, slide iPad a little further and a second row of magnets will grab and hold iPad at a second viewing angle.

Another clever feature built into SurfacePad for iPad mini is a small kickstand that turns this sleek cover into a typing wedge and desktop display. Flip down the kickstand, and - as with the hands-free viewing stand - a hidden row of magnets grabs the edge of your iPad.
The new iPad mini SurfacePad follows similar products designed for the iPhone and the Mac and TwelveSouth has plans to release a SurfacePad for the iPad Air as well.

SurfacePad for iPad mini is available in Pop Red, Mod White, and Jet Black. It can be purchased from the TwelveSouth website for $69.99.

Article Link: TwelveSouth Debuts SurfacePad Case for iPad Mini

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Bought one of these for the iPhone 5 and it promptly fell apart within a month.

They are very, very cheaply made despite how attractive their marketing is.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

Truth. And it's doubly hard because it looks so good at first.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
If only the iPad Mini had some sort of mechanism for attaching a cover that didn't rely on adhesive.

The adhesive is a non-issue, I assure you. It leaves zero residue, sticks firmly, can be easily removed and reapplied at least a few times...

But it won't matter because the rest of it will peel apart after a few weeks of normal use.

----------

If only the iPad had some sort of built-in kickstand so we didn't need to purchase overpriced cases to view movies etc.

:confused: Right let's uglify and compromise the device with a kickstand! instead of encouraging the 3rd party case market and letting people choose how they want to stand it up. Gotcha. :apple:

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

That's too bad. I bought one of their book book cases for my iPad and it has lasted for years and is still going strong and in great shape.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
That's too bad. I bought one of their book book cases for my iPad and it has lasted for years and is still going strong and in great shape.

I'm sure the book case is very different from the surface pad in terms of design and weak points. It looks that way to me.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
These iPad cases are way too expensive and often very clumsy and ugly. You can find decent cases on eBay for less than $20. For that you get clean cases with no ugly logos or whatsoever and the quality is fine.

$70 is way too expensive, even though it's leather.

andrewfrom12So

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
How much did they pay for this story?

Not a dime Larry. SurfacePad may not be your cup of tea, thats cool, but this site's integrity is intact. We don't pay for coverage and never have. We just try and make products worth talking about. What you say about it is then up to you :)

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

Twelvesouth offers a 12-month warranty on defective products. Sounds like yours qualifies. You should definitely contact them.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
For me I like taking cases off easily so it doesn't appeal too much for my type of use. But I have the HiRise for the iPhone and absolutely love it. So much so when I finally upgrade my iPad 2 I'll be getting another one. I think the only other thing I have from them is the plugbug world I bought for a european road trip. Been using it for close to a year now I guess and never had a problem with it. I'd like to see the Travel Journal in person although it's a bit more than I want to spend.

Gigatel

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Bought the iPhone version and it was garbage. I have no doubt this would be too. Avoid, especially at that absurd price.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Not a dime Larry. SurfacePad may not be your cup of tea, thats cool, but this site's integrity is intact. We don't pay for coverage and never have. We just try and make products worth talking about. What you say about it is then up to you :)

Answer me this then: How much is the production cost for one of these cases?

andrewfrom12So

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
Answer me this then: How much is the production cost for one of these cases?

OMG Larry - if only it were that easy. There’s the BOM, then Landed Cost, then Inbound Shipping, Outbound Shipping, and Wholesale Cost... Then of course Overhead, Warehousing, Development (fun fact - these were ready to go months ago, then Apple added a little mic to the back… do over). What I can say is, we try very hard to ensure we deliver $69.99 of value to our customers who purchase this cover. We're def. not the cheapest, but we try to make the best stuff we can. Good question though. Hope this insight helps.

rdparris

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Great Idea

I've been using Twelve South products for almost as long as I've been using Apple products. I've been very picky about what I buy and worse about the things I use [the closet is full of cases I can't stand to use]. I purchased the SurfacePad for my iPhone 4S last year wanting something thin and "different". Still using it and can't wait to get the same when I upgrade my iPhone this year. Will also be looking for the same when they come out with it for my iPad Air.

All I have to say is in my experience these guys put out a quality product. If you have issues with it, contact customer support and get it replaced. As for me, I'm looking forward to wrapping my iPad Air in this thing!

Last edited:

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Ok

Ok
Ok
Please everyone stop making these ridiculous oragami style stands
What a waste of material
The best case ever is the ZAGG folio keys pro with keyboard and ipad air protection

Buuuaaahhh!

Rawk on. Most of these things out there are so dreaded ugly beyond comprehension really seriously

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.