Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
And how in the hell am I supposed to stick that in my TV that's hanging on the wall with no space behind it?

Most TV HDMI ports go down or to the side for precisely this reason. But, if yours does not, you should be able to find an HDMI "L" adapter at Monoprice for about $2.50.

----------

Now that it's so easy to plug in a little device for access to web content, there is less and less need for TVs to have these features built-in. I'd rather have a separate device that I can replace or upgrade.

I'd only argue with the "Now that ..." part. It's always been easy and buying a "smart" TV for the "smart" function has always been a waste of money.

We're shopping around for a (low-end) TV. Came across a JVC model which is a "smart" TV only because it includes the old Roku Stick in the box. That's the kind of smart TV I'd buy.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
ive stopped using my Roku except for Plex for exactly this reason. unacceptable. its been months upon months at this point.

I have profiles on my Roku 3 netflix app.

But in other news - on what planet is this headline accurate. Roku, for YEARS has been competing with Apple TV (and at lower price points). Why does this article make it sound like this new (updated) model is magically different?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
This is good competition for the low end (Chromecast is obviously the reigning champion there, and I don't see much to displace that if every up-front dollar is sacrosanct).

But, I still prefer the separate box with Ethernet jack and integrated power supply (as opposed to a USB wart), integrated with my home network and media library (iTunes, obviously). Roku is tempting as a second device only because it has Amazon Prime support which AV lacks. Otherwise, I've been much happier using my AppleTV 3 (and the ATV "Take Two" before that) than my relatives who have a Roku device, just from the day-to-day interface functions. Really, at $99 and less, you should buy the device that fits in with your lifestyle; up-front price is the least of the concerns!

What could Roku do to tempt me over?

First, supply an HDMI pass-through option. Switching HDMI sources on the TV sucks. Just let the HDMI source plugged into the Roku through unless the Roku gets activated, then overlay Roku's UI on the pass-through. This isn't rocket science, but no support for it yet.

Second, ethernet is a must. Save the wifi for devices that move around. Home theaters built these days have ethernet jacks at the ready; it is silly to require precious wireless bandwidth to be used to stream video to a device that doesn't move. I'm okay with paying more for an add-on adapter of some sort, but it has to be available.

Third, non-streaming media purchases and rentals. I hate being at the whim of a sometimes-fickle internet connection while watching a show. It doesn't happen often, but a download-to-play approach like supported by the AppleTV is far, far superior to the buffer-a-few-minutes approach necessitated by Amazon et al (including M*Go, so far as I can tell). Let me buy content and store it locally. Let me rent, download, and then play it from my local machine.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Sell your AppleTV 2 on eBay for $200+ and buy the atv3 or wait for atv4.

I am taking the iPad approach. Release a new product, doing things that no one/not many are doing. Then, bump the previous model, which can do a lot of what the new model can do, but not everything, and bump the price down $100. Now, obviously they can't do $100 on an Apple TV, but they could bump $25 off, or, to really take a slice, $50 and sell the current version for $49.

Choices are Chromestick for $35, or an Apple TV 3 for $14 more? Becomes a no brainer.

(Even though I think it is a no brainer now. You go with your ecosystem)

I have an Apple TV 2 (first black one-launch day purchase) now. Been meaning to pick up a second, but holding off. If what I describe above happens, the. I won't be getting just a new version, I will replace the 2 with a $49 3 for the kids/playroom.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I believe so. I am not interested in it though. So I sold mine. I also sold two of my neighbor's and one of my coworker's. Everyone of then went for over $200.

Hmm.... May have to try it and see. Thanks for the idea.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Given how much of the AppleTV's space is dedicated to the power adapter I wonder if Apple will go the same route here. Turn AppleTV to a plugin.

The other way would be to merge AirPort and AppleTV in to one line.
Start with a plug-in AppleTV move up to a time capsule that can play the any media files stored on it as well as stream AppleTV content.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
And how in the hell am I supposed to stick that in my TV that's hanging on the wall with no space behind it?

For that rare tv that has HDMI sticking straight out towards the wall, they do make HDMI 90 degree adapters.

----------

Given how much of the AppleTV's space is dedicated to the power adapter I wonder if Apple will go the same route here. Turn AppleTV to a plugin.

The other way would be to merge AirPort and AppleTV in to one line.
Start with a plug-in AppleTV move up to a time capsule that can play the any media files stored on it as well as stream AppleTV content.

I don't mind having a power adapter. My apple tvs just sit on my wall mounted TVs behind the TV. Never see them. I haven't yet wired up all my TV locations with an Ethernet plugs yet. They all just connect wifi for now but I'd rather have a wired connection, something the chrome cast or other plug ins won't do.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Doesn't seem like the Apple way though. Google took Apple's idea and found a way to make it cheaper cos that's their thing. Apple's thing is to innovate and maintain their price point.

I expect the next Apple TV to offer features no one else does and/or do it much better and maintain the same price point or maybe even sell at a higher price point.

Google's approach with chromecast was pretty unique at the time. I think Apple actually updated the Apple TV to allow chromecast like streaming of iTunes content in response to the chromecast.. The point is however that the market is incredibly competitive, especially if Amazon releases a box soon.

Apple would really need to step it up to charge a higher price point. Going the Tivo route, or game console route might do it though.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I'd only argue with the "Now that ..." part. It's always been easy and buying a "smart" TV for the "smart" function has always been a waste of money.

We're shopping around for a (low-end) TV. Came across a JVC model which is a "smart" TV only because it includes the old Roku Stick in the box. That's the kind of smart TV I'd buy.

I agree with you. Buying a smart tv only for the "smart" aspect of it is dumb. We recently bought a new tv for our main tv room and we got a really good deal on a smart tv. So I moved our Roku upstairs and I have to say having only one remote (we always misplace the extra remotes for blu ray, etc.) downstairs for managing the smart and regular aspects of our tv is convenient. Obviously that shouldn't be the only reason to get a smart tv, but I wouldn't dismiss them completely if you are getting a good deal on it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This is good competition for the low end (Chromecast is obviously the reigning champion there, and I don't see much to displace that if every up-front dollar is sacrosanct).

But, I still prefer the separate box with Ethernet jack and integrated power supply (as opposed to a USB wart), integrated with my home network and media library (iTunes, obviously). Roku is tempting as a second device only because it has Amazon Prime support which AV lacks. Otherwise, I've been much happier using my AppleTV 3 (and the ATV "Take Two" before that) than my relatives who have a Roku device, just from the day-to-day interface functions. Really, at $99 and less, you should buy the device that fits in with your lifestyle; up-front price is the least of the concerns!

What could Roku do to tempt me over?

First, supply an HDMI pass-through option. Switching HDMI sources on the TV sucks. Just let the HDMI source plugged into the Roku through unless the Roku gets activated, then overlay Roku's UI on the pass-through. This isn't rocket science, but no support for it yet.

Second, ethernet is a must. Save the wifi for devices that move around. Home theaters built these days have ethernet jacks at the ready; it is silly to require precious wireless bandwidth to be used to stream video to a device that doesn't move. I'm okay with paying more for an add-on adapter of some sort, but it has to be available.

Third, non-streaming media purchases and rentals. I hate being at the whim of a sometimes-fickle internet connection while watching a show. It doesn't happen often, but a download-to-play approach like supported by the AppleTV is far, far superior to the buffer-a-few-minutes approach necessitated by Amazon et al (including M*Go, so far as I can tell). Let me buy content and store it locally. Let me rent, download, and then play it from my local machine.
So, basically, you want Roku to license "AppleTV" to make their own AppleTV, but with Amazon? That falls into: pipe dream.

This device really isn't a huge AppleTV competitor, despite the headline. Roku 3 is.

----------

It's really quite simple. You have a reciprocating saw, right?...

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Do we know for certain that it's entirely up to Roku to support that? Maybe it's Netflix stalling them.

IIRC Android only got profiles a couple of weeks ago.

Apple TV has had them since they were introduced.

----------

It sucks. I've never gotten a clear, non-jerky picture.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Yeah, I thought they were long gone. All those buttons and no dedicated Hulu button.

I hate it when device makers sell out their interface that way. My Sony blu-ray player has a dedicated button for Netflix and Sony's own online streaming service, but I'm a Hulu+ subscriber. And there's no way to change either of those buttons to open the services of my choice.

dbanderson1

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
L-Bracket HDMI

there are tons of hdmi adaptors out there... check on Amazon. I'm surprised your set doesn't have hdmi ports on the side or ones that face down, which is what this and many other dongles are designed for.

I have two L-brackets so my side connections don't have weird wires sticking out the side and I can send them backwards with my other cables. They work perfect, and I still have full hdmi features (ARC + CEC).

----------

For the limited functionality of apple tv and their trend to miniaturize everything, I would love to see apple develop something like this. iDongle, apple tv stick, apple tv mini ... whatever they call it, I would buy it (perfect for travel). It would be nice to see it released simultaneously with an upgraded apple tv with a more robust feature set.

kriebe

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Irvine, CA
I just don't understand the appeal of these stick devices. Without an IR port, you're stuck with an additional remote, which should be one of the things that advancement in technology gets rid of. Or even worse, having to use your phone to control the device. It may seem cool at first, but it's super inconvenient.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I believe so. I am not interested in it though. So I sold mine. I also sold two of my neighbor's and one of my coworker's. Everyone of then went for over $200.

Selling old Apple TV 2 boxes for $200?! What, just because it can be jailbroken? I don't understand... please explain if you would be so kind. :)

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Does Roku do Airplay?

Considering you can get a new Apple TV for $99 with a $25 iTunes card through today (March 5th), or do what I did several months ago and get a refurbished latest model Apple TV for $75, I don't see saving $25 worth it to lose Airplay.

I have an original Apple TV also, but I don't use it as I LOVE the Airplay feature on the latest model, especially here in Italy. I use the Netshade program on my Mac, iPad, or iPhone to watch American TV shows, and then I can project them to my large screen through the Apple TV.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
"Roku Takes Aim at Chromecast and Apple TV With $49 Streaming Stick" - If I remember correctly the Roku 1, 2, and 3 all competed with the Chromecast and Apple TV. They all came before this stick. Also, the Roku 1 can be had for $48 so this $49 pricing of a Roku product is not new. The title makes it seem like Roku is just now getting into the streaming set-top box business with a competitive price.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Now that it's so easy to plug in a little device for access to web content, there is less and less need for TVs to have these features built-in. I'd rather have a separate device that I can replace or upgrade.

This! Yes. The first version of the Roku stick was limited to certain TVs, but this one is open for all TVs (Just like Chromecast). I'd rather do that too because you know in two years time there will be something totally different.

I am hanging on to my 4 year old Plasma!

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I have an Apple TV 2 (first black one-launch day purchase) now. Been meaning to pick up a second, but holding off. If what I describe above happens, the. I won't be getting just a new version, I will replace the 2 with a $49 3 for the kids/playroom.

You realize the ATV2 sells for $200-250 on ebay right? You can sell it and pick up Three 3s at the current $75 pricing.

mgworek

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.