Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abluehaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
One morning about a week ago I logged into my Mac to see this red line down the the length of the display and it's been there ever since. I've tried rebooting and resetting the SMC controller etc and it's still there. I've taken screenshots of the affected area and the line isn't there which leads me to believe it's not the graphics card but the display itself. Anyone seen this before?

Really pretty poor quality from Apple recently. This iMac is a Mid 2010 so it's just barely 3 and a half years old. A little soon for a display to start dying if you ask me.

IMG_8199.jpeg

B1ueB1aze

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
I have seen this before with a monitor I own. It has a blue line down the left side about the same distance as yours. And, it is a permanent problem with the monitor. It appears something has become damaged with the display. If you have another monitor you could connect to your iMac to test to make sure it's not the GPU.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If you have another monitor you could connect to your iMac to test to make sure it's not the GPU.

You can rule that out without even checking. GPU artifacts don't behave that way. It wouldn't make sense topologically, and there's no way that I know of for a fixed point of bad video memory to show up as you see there and remain that way. They tend to be much more random. In either case the OP can probably inquire about depot/flat rate repair if it lacks any signs of abuse. Typically signs of abuse would be if you spilled something on your notebook, so that's not likely. Third party repairs are typically almost as much.

Apple's displays have never been the most reliable anyway. Display quality is one of their weakest points. I don't mean display features so much, mostly reliability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.