Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Reportedly Stop Production of 13-Inch Non-Retina MacBook Pro Later This Year

Apple will cease production of the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro later this year in favor of its thinner Retina notebooks, according to a new report from DigiTimes. The 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro, which last saw an update in June 2012, has remained as Apple's only MacBook Pro without a high-resolution screen after the 15-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro was discontinued last year.

Apple has been expected to discontinue its standard MacBook Pros for quite some time in favor of an all Retina lineup. After Apple announced and subsequently released updated Retina MacBook Pros last October, the company cut the price of the entry level 13-inch Retina model to $1,299 - just $100 more than the non-Retina version.

The company is also expected to update its 13-inch and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros in the future with Intel's forthcoming Broadwell chips, however the exact timing of those updates remains uncertain and differs for both models. While chips for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro are not expected to launch until the first quarter of 2015, chips for the 15-inch models are expected to be released at certain points throughout 2014. Rumors have also suggested that Apple is working on a 12-inch Retina notebook for the middle of this year.

Article Link: Apple to Reportedly Stop Production of 13-Inch Non-Retina MacBook Pro Later This Year
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2
jonyive4
Banned

DIGITIMES. ugh.

Macrumors needs a statistics page of all the sources of rumors and see who is the least trustworthy. I bet digitimes would be it.
jonyive4 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:01 AM   #3
johnnnw
macrumors 6502a

Can't wait until the only Macbook I can buy is non-upgradable.

I can't express how much I hate that this soldered stuff has happened. I'll take a little thicker body and non soldered RAM instead of this soldering because it's so thin stuff.
johnnnw is online now   40 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:01 AM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Goodbye CDs,
it's been nice.
Hope you find your
paradise!
AngerDanger is online now   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:02 AM   #5
gnasher729
macrumors G5

That would mean no way to have a MacBook with 1TB or 2TB of storage for an affordable price. Quite unfortunate. If it means they add a retina display, that would be fine with me.
gnasher729 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:03 AM   #6
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyive4 View Post
DIGITIMES. ugh.
Maybe, but man, only 100 bucks extra for retina? Only the most uninformed (and legally blind) of the general public would pick the low ball number. I wonder the percentage of sales is at the bottom?
chirpie is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:03 AM   #7
Icaras
macrumors 601

No brainer.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:07 AM   #8
johnnnw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Maybe, but man, only 100 bucks extra for retina? Only the most uninformed (and legally blind) of the general public would pick the low ball number. I wonder the percentage of sales is at the bottom?
I badly want a Retina but I can't stand the thought of how it affects the resale value once minimum RAM requirements are higher. The machine becomes useless if it's just constantly paging out and getting bogged down. Or if I had it for an extended amount of time I would want to be able to upgrade it when it got to be an issue.
johnnnw is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:07 AM   #9
alohamade
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnw View Post
Can't wait until the only Macbook I can buy is non-upgradable.

I can't express how much I hate that this soldered stuff has happened. I'll take a little thicker body and non soldered RAM instead of this soldering because it's so thin stuff.
Actually, I agree a lot with this. I had the money to choose between both the non-Retina and Retina 13-inch models about a year ago, and as foolish as it sounds, I went with the 13-inch non-Retina (digging through my forum history on here reveals some really exciting "debates" i had with people ). I went with it because I just love the upgradeability - if the battery goes wrong, that's a simple iFixIt purchase to make. New RAM, new SSD, everything's cool.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:07 AM   #10
StealthGhost
macrumors regular

You mean the 1,280 × 800 resolution from 2009 (Edit: 2006 FFS) will finally be dead?

I really never understood why Apple gave it the least love out of everything they make. It's like they made all they would need in 2009 and just swapped in new logic boards every once in a while, forgetting to do even that a few times (Core 2 Duo in 2010, still running Ivy Bridge now).

Last edited by StealthGhost; Mar 5, 2014 at 02:13 AM.
StealthGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:11 AM   #11
DenBeke
macrumors regular

Quote:
Maybe, but man, only 100 bucks extra for retina?
With only 128GB storage...
DenBeke is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:11 AM   #12
goobot
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGhost View Post
You mean the 1,280 × 800 resolution from 2009 will finally be dead?

I really never understood why Apple gave it the least love out of everything they make. It's like they made all they would need in 2009 and just swapped in new logic boards every once in a while, forgetting to do even that a few times (Core 2 Duo in 2010).
My late 2008 macbook has 1,280 × 800
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:12 AM   #13
StealthGhost
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
My late 2008 macbook has 1,280 × 800
Oh my lord you're right I forgot. It's from 2006 at least, jesus christ Apple.
StealthGhost is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:12 AM   #14
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Not a huge surprise. I'll be keeping mine for a long time, I suspect.
cal6n is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:13 AM   #15
rob25255
macrumors Demi-God

I know the usual negative comments re digitimes. I actually feel for Arn and all at MR. Why? What rumours are we going to get instead? Just confirmation from a yep from Jim D occasionally. I like reading the rumours and make my own mind up if they are likely or not. There are several other sites that don't publish these rumours which I look at too. Personally I'd like there to be more likely rumours that 9to5 publish but MacRumors were my first rumour site I got into back in the early noughties. I'm not going to stop reading now and appreciate most of what they do. Secondly their forums IMHO are excellent and as interesting as the stories as long as they don't get offensive. No doubt I'll get some hate for sticking up for MacRumors now!
rob25255 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:13 AM   #16
SPNarwhal
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to SPNarwhal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
That would mean no way to have a MacBook with 1TB or 2TB of storage for an affordable price. Quite unfortunate. If it means they add a retina display, that would be fine with me.
Whatcha mean add a Retina Display?
They already have a Retina 13"
Do you mean add Retina to the current, bigger build?
It says that they would be phasing it out in favor of the thinner retina models.

Would love for them to have kept the older designs and add retina to them. I don't care about the optical drive itself, but I care about the room inside for a 2ndary hdd.
SPNarwhal is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:14 AM   #17
jonyive4
Banned

Quote:
true, but I know some people that just live on a single laptop. 128GB flash isn't going to cut it. and 4GB of non-upgradable ram is just going to kill the product very soon.
jonyive4 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:19 AM   #18
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnw View Post
Well, in that case you better stock up with the non-Retinas before they are all gone.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:22 AM   #19
Marhowl
macrumors newbie

They axed the 17" in June 2012 without much explanation. Only that it comprised 1% of their laptop sales.

Then they axed the 15" recently in October 2013

It was obvious they are going to do the same to the 13". It didn't even receive the haswell update, which is big a shame. I do have to admit here, that you get a better value out of 13" retina MBP at this point.

Oh yes, and the 1% of laptop sales which were the 17" MBPs were bought by professionals who really needed it for their work.

Don't throw arguments at me that the 15" retina has better resolution and therefore is better than the old 17" because you probably don't know anything about screen's real estate. Oh, and it had antiglare option

I take good care of my early 2009 2.93GHz 17" which I maxed out and it's running flawlessly. I could hardly imagine replacing it for any retina MBP, even these days
Marhowl is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:24 AM   #20
ScottishDuck
macrumors 6502

With the rumours about early broadwell chips I'd maybe see the retinas getting a pricecut to the old pro levels and the power remaining similar if not the same.
ScottishDuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:29 AM   #21
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Regarding 1TB HDD storage option on non-retina MacBook Pro, the situation is no longer quite as dire.

If you have aversion to external hard disks, at home and/or office, you can use 802.11ac routers with hard disk. I get about 50 MB/sec from 802.11ac Time Capsule, which admittedly is slower than internal HDD (typically a bit higher than 100 MB/sec), but perfectly suitable for storing iTunes media library.

And for travel, I carry 512GB USB 3.0 thumb drive, which admittedly isn't cheap (I paid $500), but it is very fast and works extremely well even in tight confinements of air travel.
nutmac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:31 AM   #22
photographypro
macrumors regular

Too bad

This is sad. I have a late 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro. It's a quad core 2.2 GHz I7 processor, and I added 16 GB of RAM and a 750 GB hybrid fast drive. Total cost about $2000.

Yes the retinas are slightly faster, but today it would cost me over $3000 to replace my laptop with a retina version. Plus, I hook it up to a 23 inch Apple screen, so the retina display wouldn't really help me. Plus, I can burn and rip DVDs and watch them in a hotel room without having to carry along an extra drive. Also, FireWire 800 and ethernet are built-in. I don't need to carry along two $29 adapters. I already need an adapter just for the extra monitor. Well at least the refurbished models will be available for a while. Currently I see no reason to upgrade.
photographypro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:34 AM   #23
NickVanHoeve
macrumors newbie

Do they really need to make a 12" retina notebook?
NickVanHoeve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:34 AM   #24
yjchua95
macrumors 68020

Location: Queenstown, NZ and Melbourne, VIC, Australia (formerly KL, Malaysia)
Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
About time they did that.

As laptops get thinner and thinner, soldered parts will soon be prevalent among manufacturers. People are complaining about the non-upgradeability because Apple's the first one to do it, but other manufacturers will follow suit soon on their copycat MBAs or rMBPs.

The non-retina 1280x800's pixel density is pretty pathetic anyway, and optical discs are so last century. So are spinning HDDs.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:37 AM   #25
Macist
macrumors 6502a

The retina MacBooks are gorgeous BUT Apple's laptops are once more stupidly expensive.

And the soldered nonsense is a bummer. I've taken my 2010 MBP from 4 to 8 to 16GB, upgraded the hard drive a couple of times, which has really extended its useful life for me.

Planned obsolescence. Apple's the poster child for this.
Macist is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion