Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Working to Expand Siri's Third-Party App Integration for iWatch

As Apple continues work on its much-rumored iWatch, the company is placing a significant focus on expanding Siri's ability to interface with third-party apps, according to a report from The Information summarized by TechCrunch.

With input methods for the iWatch limited due to the device's size, Siri's voice capabilities may be one of the best tools for Apple to leverage, and that means improving Siri's capabilities.
Quote:
The report points out how the Siri of today can't do things like book a car rental or make a hotel reservation, or use a messaging app other than Messages to send a text. The improvements to Siri would potentially enable those types of things, enabling third-party integrations that don't require one-to-one business arrangement between Apple and the external company. Current integrations like those with OpenTable and Wolfram Alpha do involve those direct deals, which limits the pace at which new third-party powers can be added to Siri.
The report also claims that Apple is working on technology to dynamically adjust what content is being shown on a device's display, offering the example of a running app automatically being shown when the user begins jogging. The technology would obviously be useful for a device such as the iWatch with very limited display size and input capabilities.

Apple has been rumored for several years to be working on a smart watch project, with the company reportedly placing a strong focus on biometrics to include health-related data tracking for the iOS ecosystem.

Article Link: Apple Working to Expand Siri's Third-Party App Integration for iWatch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:04 AM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Where do the latest rumors pin the iwatch release date? Is it suppose to launch with the iphone 6 or earlier?
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Sky Blue

wouldn't trust Siri to book a hotel room.
Sky Blue is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Please bring on more languages before doing that POS watch.
Ballis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:05 AM   #5
ayale99
macrumors regular

Siri support for Nest & Hue would be very welcome!
ayale99 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Nimrad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Where do the latest rumors pin the iwatch release date? Is it suppose to launch with the iphone 6 or earlier?
Rumors point to an iWatch being released before the new iPhone 6.
Nimrad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:05 AM   #7
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayale99 View Post
Siri support for Nest & Hue would be very welcome!
not to derail the thread, but the pebble has a great Hue app
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:05 AM   #8
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
With input methods for the iWatch limited due to the device's size, Siri's voice capabilities may be one of the best tools for Apple to leverage, and that means improving Siri's capabilities.The report also claims that Apple is working on technology to dynamically adjust what content is being shown on a device's display, offering the example of a running app automatically being shown when the user begins jogging. The technology would obviously be useful for a device such as the iWatch with very limited display size and input capabilities.
Hmm, it could even integrate with the iPhone and open up specific, fun webpages in Safari when the watch starts violently shaking.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Mar 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: I MAD A INNUENDO
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:06 AM   #9
PrismaticRealms
macrumors member

I haven't worn a watch in about 20 years or so! But I may just get myself a new one on <some rumored released date>.
PrismaticRealms is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Siri is great - if no one else is around.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:10 AM   #11
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Wake me up when the announcement is here… Time for something real.
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:13 AM   #12
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

I'll just leave this here.

Quit copying, Apple! Dick Tracy did it first! /S
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:16 AM   #13
Lepton
macrumors 6502a

Even the simplest integration would be helpful for iWatch, CarPlay, and on the phone itself! Something like saying "Tell <app> to <spoken text>" could open a URI like "<app>:///<spoken text>". More of an API would be great, but just this very simple API would be plenty to do a zillion useful things. An app can already do text to speech responses and of course control the screen.

For example "Siri tell NewsBrain to speak the news" would invoke "newsbrain:///speak the news" causing the app to launch and read articles aloud.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:18 AM   #14
terrywfoster
macrumors regular

Too bad Siri sucks.
terrywfoster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:21 AM   #15
leftynaut
macrumors member

does anyone use Siri or something similar regularly? i still haven't seen a real need to ever talk to my phone. maybe one day when scarlett johansson is on the other line, but until then my fingers work quite well.
leftynaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Websnapx2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
not to derail the thread, but the pebble has a great Hue app
But Pebble doesn't have Siri, I believe the comment you responded to was referring to verbal communication with Hue and Nest.
Websnapx2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:24 AM   #17
DiabBarca
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrad View Post
Rumors point to an iWatch being released before the new iPhone 6.
awesome
DiabBarca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Websnapx2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftynaut View Post
does anyone use Siri or something similar regularly? i still haven't seen a real need to ever talk to my phone. maybe one day when scarlett johansson is on the other line, but until then my fingers work quite well.
I use it all the time, especially while cooking. I have my iPad in a large freezer zip-lock and use Siri to look up stuff, respond to messages and anything else beyond a tap away.
Websnapx2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:27 AM   #19
Radio
Banned

Siri offers nothing but frustration in real world usage.

Any noise around you confuses it.

Google voice has been so far much better at understanding the human language.
Radio is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:27 AM   #20
Lepton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I use Siri all the time, but for two main things:

"Set a timer for ten minutes" I use this when Im cooking or whatever. It is much faster than whipping out the clock app and spinning those little wheels to set the time.

"Remind me to visit Mom at 2" When said at 3PM it sets up a reminder for tomorrow at 2PM. Again much faster, and I use this when I want a reminder for a meeting or to go somewhere when it isn't a big enough deal to make a calendar entry.

I also use it in the car "Let's drive to Mom's". This figures out who "mom" or "Uncle Fred" or whomever is, and starts giving directions there.

It's just a very speedy shortcut for doing simple stuff.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:30 AM   #21
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I'll just leave this here.
That looks just like a Galaxy Gear.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:40 AM   #22
vpndev
macrumors regular

better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
That looks just like a Galaxy Gear.
I disagree. To me it looks quite a lot better.

It's clear that Samsung didn't copy this !
vpndev is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:42 AM   #23
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

I own a really high end watch (It was a gift) so I am not in the market for a smart watch. I hope some of this technology filters down into another form factor (keychain, zipper pull, or something else) that will work with my lifestyle.
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:48 AM   #24
jimi78
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jimi78
Quote:
Anytime I am doing laundry or cooking or waiting for something to start or stop I use siri to set my timer. it's a little task, but I do it so often that I love this feature. setting my wakeup alarm when it happens to change is nice too.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:53 AM   #25
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpndev View Post
I disagree. To me it looks quite a lot better.

It's clear that Samsung didn't copy this !
You're right - on closer inspection, Mr. Tracy's device features no exposed screws on its face.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion