Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iad.jpg
Apple plans to introduce full-screen video iAds for apps on the iPhone and the iPad later this year, reports AdAge. The new ads, described as "interstitials," will allow developers to opt into ads that play in between levels within a game or in between articles in a news-style app.

Full screen ads will mark a departure from Apple's typical advertising style, which has limited iPhone iAds within the App Store and iTunes Radio to less obtrusive banners that must be clicked for a video ad to be played. iTunes Radio also features audio ads, but full video ads within apps are arguably more interruptive.

Some free-to-play apps already feature full-screen third-party video ads. Zynga's Draw Something on iPad, for example, requires users to watch a video ad before allowing them to move on to the next level, a task that takes several seconds away from gameplay. Apple currently permits full-screen video iAd advertisements within some iPad apps, but today's report suggests the ads could also be extended to other iOS devices.

Since its 2010 introduction as a way for developers to make money on the iOS platform, iAd has been largely unsuccessful attracting developer interest and revenue. Apple has, however, been attempting to revive iAd with a new focus on iTunes Radio.
The in-app video ads may be a way for Apple to rekindle advertisers' interests in its fancy-but-flawed iAds. The ad product line was unveiled in 2010 with all the pomp and circumstance of a new iPhone, but they've struggled to gain traction in the market. Advertisers were initially asked to drop $1 million for the rich-media units, which more closely resemble a mobile microsite than a banner. That price tag has dropped to $100,000 over the years, even as Apple has added features like maps.
Few details are available on the video ads, including how Apple plans to sell and price the spots, but they may be positioned as a way to further entice new advertising partners to advertise via the service. The introduction of iTunes Radio, which has the potential to bring in quite a bit of revenue, already garnered Apple several major advertising partners, including McDonald's, Nissan, Pepsi, and Procter & Gamble.

Apple's ad sales, which were at just $125 million in 2012 according to IDC, have lagged significantly behind those of other companies, including Google, but the new video ads along with revenue from iTunes Radio may shift those figures considerably in the years to come.

Article Link: Apple to Introduce Full-Screen Video iAds to Apps This Year

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I will avoid any app that implements these video ads at all costs. I hate forced ads. I'd rather just skip the app altogether.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I will avoid any app that implements these video ads at all costs. I hate forced ads. I'd rather just skip the app altogether.

I agree, but its getting harder and harder to find them. It seems everyone is going to the free model filled with ads.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Devs already do this, since they have a choice of plenty of ad platforms that have interstitials. There must be demand from developers?

And developers have to eat. A free giveaway game with ads, then pay ONCE to disable them, is acceptable to me. That's the same in the end as just buying an ad-free game, except the developer gets money from the freeloaders too. Which pays for updates/maintenance for me :)

But as always, I'll avoid a developer who abuses ads. ESPECIALLY full-screen.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ehh this will drive me insane. I watched a show on the ABC app yesterday, and I literally felt like I was watching the show live.....full screen 2 minute ads every few minutes.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Silent ads don't bother me. I can choose whether a banner-ad supported app is worthwhile.

But videos will presumably have sound, and have ads with sound would be highly annoying since they can't be as easily ignored when you aren't interested.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Devs already do this, since they have a choice of plenty of ad platforms that have interstitials. There must be demand from developers?

And developers have to eat. A free giveaway game with ads, then pay ONCE to disable them, is acceptable to me. That's the same in the end as just buying an ad-free game, except the developer gets money from the freeloaders too. Which pays for updates/maintenance for me :)

But as always, I'll avoid a developer who abuses ads. ESPECIALLY full-screen.

alas that is but a pipedream. I wish for games or apps you simply buy, but that's not going to happen.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Great, more 30s videos before you do anything in the net.... :rolleyes:

They need to make a law that videos can be no longer than 15 seconds. Nothing is worse than watching a 30s ad then the video craps out and you have to watch it all over again.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Great, more 30s videos before you do anything in the net.... :rolleyes:

They need to make a law that videos can be no longer than 15 seconds. Nothing is worse than watching a 30s ad then the video craps out and you have to watch it all over again.

Oh, oh, don't forget about when the ad you watch ends up being shorter than the video!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Apple has so much cash and continues to make more than they know what to do with, so why the greediness, eh?!

Keeping their products clean (and well supported) I would have thought was a lot more valuable to their longer term prospects.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it always baffles my mind when ads before a video play without an issue but once you get to the actual content it turns to beep with buffering and whatnot. hasnt changed since dsl in like 2002 lol

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Oh... joy...

Note to advertisers: I make it a point NOT to buy stuff from ads that are annoying, have to be watched or dismissed before I can continue in an app, and otherwise disrupt my use of my iPhone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Just in time for an Apple TV refresh which may or may not contain 3rd party channels or games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.