Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Auto Safety Experts Concerned About CarPlay and Distracted Driving

Earlier this week, Apple announced its new CarPlay technology, which opens the door for easier hands-free calling, text messaging and navigation while driving. Consumers may be enthusiastic about this in-car technology, but auto safety experts are concerned about its contribution to distracted driving, reports CNN Money.
Quote:
"The idea that people want to be on their phones, and therefore let's give them a way to do that -- that's not putting safety first, that's putting convenience and the desire to be in touch first," said Bruce Hamilton, manager of research and communications at the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety."
Siri may allow for hands- and eyes-free interaction with a phone, but experts argue it still contributes to "cognitive distraction," which moves a driver's attention away from their driving and onto their phone. Recent studies have shown that the voice-to-text features included in personal assistant software such as Siri carry an "extensive risk" of distracted driving and have the potential to double driver reaction times.

Apple is aware of these distracted driving concerns and notes in a press release that Siri minimizes distraction by allowing drivers to keep their eyes on the road.
Quote:
"CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. "iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction."
Apple's CarPlay technology is similar to existing in-dash smartphone systems in terms of driver attention, but these concerns over distracted driving are getting renewed attention because of Apple's high-profile launch.

Apple's CarPlay will be available as an update to iOS 7 for iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5 owners. It will debut in 2014 models from major automobile manufacturers such as Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai and others.

Article Link: Auto Safety Experts Concerned About CarPlay and Distracted Driving
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:57 PM   #2
dwhittington
macrumors regular

Then fix the technology in the rest of the vehicle.

Think 8-bit.
dwhittington is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:57 PM   #3
ashwin4
macrumors member

Why don't we find a way to stop texting while driving first. I see that way on the road than adjusting on-screen technology in the car. Just my thought
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Lapidus
macrumors regular

True. But it's still better than the solutions we have now so it's only improvement, dear safety experts?
Lapidus is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:58 PM   #5
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

we need to also remove heating and cooling knobs, radios and anything else.

Yes, distractions but distractions that are "in-dash" and thus closer to the windshield...whereas sneaking a look on a phone is more distracting and not always near the windshield view because in some cases it is illegal.
BJMRamage is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

So maybe they want to make talking to your passengers illegal also?
Sandstorm is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:59 PM   #7
mcphee7
macrumors member

Where will it end? By this train of thought we should ban radios / buttons on steering wheels / climate control knobs etc etc.
mcphee7 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:59 PM   #8
indychris
macrumors member

I have a hard time seeing how Carplay will be any more distracting than a Garmin, or radio knobs or station buttons, etc. Assuming that you won't be able to watch youtube videos or text via the interface, it likely won't create any additional hazard, and in fact may keep people's posture such that at least they might be able to detect movement in their periphery.

Personally, I welcome the technology.
indychris is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:59 PM   #9
dustinsc
macrumors regular

A system that takes forever to fiddle with and get to work is the biggest distraction. If this works seamlessly, I think it will be better than what people are doing now.
dustinsc is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:00 PM   #10
navier
macrumors member

Roads will be very dangerous in the near future
navier is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:00 PM   #11
thomasde
macrumors newbie

Wipers

Auto safety experts were worried about windshield wipers too, that they might have hypnotic effect when driving. It's an untested technology like wipers were at the time.
thomasde is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:00 PM   #12
goobot
macrumors 68040

So what they are saying is they rather have someone drive with one hand while digging through their pocket for the phone with the other hand? It's better to look down at a phone to dial a # rather than looking forward? Its better to drive with one hand because you are using the other to hold the phone for navigation? LOL, ok.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:01 PM   #13
kmoreau48
macrumors member

Maybe the Messages application should not be included in Carplay, but other than that how is Carplay any different than current touch screen radio/GPS in terms of safety?
kmoreau48 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:01 PM   #14
William Gates
macrumors regular

Ford implements SYNC by Microsoft and Ford MyTouch, and nothing from the safety boards get said. Ford says they're going to switch to QNX and nothing from the safety boards gets said. We have radios and climate control and GPS and nothing gets said. Some car manufacturers get on board with Android via Mirralink (sp) and nothing gets said. Google lobbies to allow drivers to wear google glass while driving, and hardly anything gets said.

Apple takes tech that exists in vehicles already and makes it easier/simpler and all of a sudden the safety boards are speaking out against it.

Makes sense.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:02 PM   #15
supremedesigner
macrumors 6502a

The question is ... how does this works for deaf people?
supremedesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:02 PM   #16
acey
macrumors newbie

"The idea that people want to be on their phones, and therefore let's give them a way to do that -- that's not putting safety first, that's putting convenience and the desire to be in touch first"

Well, what about the alternative? People looking down and using their phones while they drive. People don't want to be off the grid just because they are in the car. A easy to use and intuitive system is the way to go, not sticking your head in the sand and act as if there is no need for a service like this.
acey is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:03 PM   #17
navier
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
So what they are saying is they rather have someone drive with one hand while digging through their pocket for the phone with the other hand? It's better to look down at a phone to dial a # rather than looking forward? Its better to drive with one hand because you are using the other to hold the phone for navigation? LOL, ok.
If you are driving, don't play with the phone... you may not care, but the people surrounding you will thank you
navier is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:04 PM   #18
the-oz-man
macrumors 6502

This is just another instance of whatever group riding the press of Apple on their particular soap-box. Touch ID brought identity concerns. CarPlay and safety concerns. Car makers have been placing technology in the dash for over 2 decades to distract drivers. This too shall pass . . .
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:04 PM   #19
aswiec
macrumors newbie

The way I see it, people are going to drive and talk on the phone, message, and fumble with music no matter what the laws are or if its safe. I'm not saying its right, but people will do it.
I'd much prefer see a drive use Carplay and voice commands than to see someone with their phone to the ear and a hand off the steering wheel.

Regardless, self driving cars are a comin' and hopefully this will be irrelevant in 5-10 years
aswiec is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:05 PM   #20
winston1236
macrumors 65816

They should make it like the Range Rovers and make the screen controls invisible to the driver while allowing the passenger to see it.
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:05 PM   #21
BC2009
macrumors 68000

It's because Apple is doing it now. Remember the uproar and letters from Senators when Apple was taking your fingerprint on the iPhone 5s? Where was that when IBM Thinkpads added fingerprint sensors to laptops? How about now that the Galaxy S5 has a fingerprint sensor?

Also, where was the uproar when cars added navigation systems? How about when Ford introduced Sync with Microsoft? Nothing but crickets for Apple's competitors, but as soon as Apple integrates something there is a huge uproar.

Granted, Google got an uproar on safety of using Glass while driving, but clearly looking up at tiny screen and trying to focus on that while driving is a major issue. It specifically causes you to narrow your focus on a tiny area that is not the road in front of you. If Glass was more like augmented reality with the entire field of vision being augmented with overlays, then it would be much safer to use while driving (and I am pretty sure Google wants to go there anyway).
BC2009 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:05 PM   #22
MrVinney96
macrumors member

They haven't driven the Tesla Model S, haven't they?

No complaints for that car. You know, with the giant 17 inch touchscreen.
MrVinney96 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:07 PM   #23
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
So maybe they want to make talking to your passengers illegal also?
They already did. Research shows that young/new drivers can be much more easily distracted by other teens in the car, which is why there are laws that, for example, require that drivers under 18 cannot drive with passengers under 20 for the first year under their license, unless a parent or guardian is also in the car.

Research shows what distracts us least and what distracts us most, e.g., most people can talk to passengers safely and listen to the radio safely, but their abilities are impaired when talking on the phone. CarPlay may solve the problem of fumbling with hardware but it's still subject to the problems of distraction that we already have.

I take these dangers seriously. I love technology but I've almost been hit by distracted drivers three times while I was riding my bike and once while I was walking in a crosswalk on a green light. Pay attention, drivers!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:11 PM   #24
oceanwest
macrumors newbie

I would say that having a unified experience where the in-dash works JUST like i am use to with the iPhone then I'd be more adept execute the task in a fraction of the time and maintain focus on driving.

When factory in-dash systems are 5 year old technology (most cars are years behind ) there a cognitive load to mentally and clumsily operate the thing when the iOS users intuitively already know their iPhone don't have to learn and mentally switch to operating some other OS.

I remember after a few hours of owning my first iPhone i got in my SUV and tried to pinch & zoom the maps on the Nav system - and of course you couldn't' - no multi touch, and you had to point and hold and wait for the map to recenter, wasn't driving but that could easily take your eyes of the road for several seconds
oceanwest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:12 PM   #25
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

In other news, BlackBerry, Google and Microsoft together announced an alliance today, funding the nation’s largest association of Auto Safety Experts.
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   12 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion