Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to open its first retail store in Turkey on Friday, April 4, reports Turkish Apple blog ElmaDergisi [Google Translation]. Located in the heart of Istanbul's multi-use Zorlu Center between luxury retailers Burberry and Louis Vuitton, the new store will span more than 20,000 square feet.

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the Istanbul store will feature a unique concept that includes a design with a cubic glass ceiling, but the architecture of the store has yet to be revealed.

cook_gul_turkey.jpg
Earlier this year, Tim Cook traveled to Istanbul to meet with the Turkish president, reportedly discussing the new store opening, potential research and development facilities in the country, and an ongoing initiative that could potentially see Turkey purchasing $4.5 billion worth of tablets for the country's schoolchildren.

Cook is expected to return to Turkey for the store opening, which will also be attended by Turkish President Abdullah Gül.

Article Link: Apple's Istanbul Store Will Open April 4, Tim Cook and Turkish President to Attend

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Tim travels abroad YET AGAIN to be feted by the not-so-high-and-mighty.

And....IOS and Mac OS have security issues dating back to the beginning of Tim's reign. Plus, IOS 7.1 still not released. Plus, issues with Thunder cables rotting. Plus, too many 'rights' issues in the fore. Sadly, MANAGEMENT of Apple seems to have fallen to the worker level and ON SITE LEADERSHIP needs some attention.

Hey Tim, I know you are not evil or lacking in capabilities but maybe back off from the too many, too often trips to Asia and Europe. Just 'sayin.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

And....IOS and Mac OS have security issues dating back to the beginning of Tim's reign. Plus, IOS 7.1 still not released. Plus, issues with Thunder cables rotting. Plus, too many 'rights' issues in the fore. Sadly, MANAGEMENT of Apple seems to have fallen to the worker level and ON SITE LEADERSHIP needs some attention.

Hey Tim, I know you are not evil or lacking in capabilities but maybe back off from the too many, too often trips to Asia and Europe. Just 'sayin.

There are so many issues with what you said, I don't even know where to start.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah, let go of an ultimate PR opportunity in a growing country, (when the leader of that country decides to attend the store opening, the company CEO should be present: As a sign of respect. This is true for most nations) in addition to the deal with the department of education in the country that could be responsible for upto 4.5 billion dollars!

TC is no longer the day-day manager of apple, he is the CEO..CEO's LEAD the company and its workers..technical issues needn't be micromanaged by the company CEO.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

Give it a rest.

Diplomacy pays up. Very good to pay attention to every one. Well done for Cook.

----------

Yeah, let go of an ultimate PR opportunity in a growing country, (when the leader of that country decides to attend the store opening, the company CEO should be present: As a sign of respect. This is true for most nations) in addition to the deal with the department of education in the country that could be responsible for upto 4.5 billion dollars!

TC is no longer the day-day manager of apple, he is the CEO..CEO's LEAD the company and its workers..technical issues needn't be micromanaged by the company CEO.

Very well said.

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Considering that Turkey is considering buying an iPad for every single schoolchild in the country, I'd say this is time well spent. Turkey has a population of about 75,000,000. It is potentially Apple's largest single customer.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Lot of german tourists will probably get to buy Apple products at a lower cost than what they sell in EU.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY

Turkey? Growing? You mean, bubbling. No real growth there, and I hope apple converts all their Lyra to dollars before the hyperinflation resumes...

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Turkey? Growing? You mean, bubbling. No real growth there, and I hope apple converts all their Lyra to dollars before the hyperinflation resumes...

Not growing in terms of their economy, but a growth market for apple as a company..

memorystick

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Lot of german tourists will probably get to buy Apple products at a lower cost than what they sell in EU.

Indeed!

You can get €479 priced iPad Air Wi-Fi 16 GB in Germany, for €396 (including tax refund by GlobalBlue) in Turkey.

Plus two years of international warranty for every device!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Indeed!

You can get €479 priced iPad Air Wi-Fi 16 GB in Germany, for €396 (including tax refund by GlobalBlue) in Turkey.

Plus two years of international warranty for every device!

Dunno about two years of warranty. Only one year's warranty in most EU countries as Apple's website clearly states. What does Turkish law provide for since EU directives do not apply to products bought outside of the EU? From what I can see on Apple's Turkish site you only get 90 days of warranty plus local Turkish consumer protection, which obviously does not extend outside the borders of Turkey.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Dunno about two years of warranty. Only one year's warranty in most EU countries as Apple's website clearly states. What does Turkish law provide for since EU directives do not apply to products bought outside of the EU? From what I can see on Apple's Turkish site you only get 90 days of warranty plus local Turkish consumer protection, which obviously does not extend outside the borders of Turkey.

According to Apple Store's Turkish website, the international warranty is 2 years. Turkish law mandates the companies to give at least 2-year warranty with every product. Apple makes it better by making the second year also international.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

Yeh Tim get back to your computer and start coding there are defects to be fixed you slacker.:rolleyes:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
According to Apple Store's Turkish website, the international warranty is 2 years. Turkish law mandates the companies to give at least 2-year warranty with every product. Apple makes it better by making the second year also international.

Is the warranty full or limited?

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Is the warranty full or limited?

Limited and limitations are subject to consumer protection law. I have checked warranty conditions of both Apple USA and Apple Turkey, in "WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?" section exact same things are written.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.