Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This isn't about coverage, it's about needs. If I could get away with less expensive coverage, I would. But I can't, so T-Mobile, sprint and AT&T will probably never see my business.

It's the report that says tmobile has the fastest LTE. That is laughable based on a comparison of the coverage area of tmobile vs the other big two.

I'm not the only one that finds the concept of the report bogus (and that is my IMO). T-Mobile may have the fastest AVERAGE LTE, but the speed depends on what square inch of land you are standing on, e.g. I posted my LTE speed a few posts up.

What good does it do anyone to know the average LTE speed of tmobile beats the other carriers, but the square inch of land you are on, you are barely able to make a voice call, much less do a speed test?

And this is in no way meant to take away what works for tmobiles customers. My comment was directed toward that bogus report.

I agree, coverage/service always matters based on wherever you are. That said, I can't think of anywhere I've traveled except through the NC/TN mountains a couple times where I couldn't even make a voice call. For me, having LTE on those 2 trips through that 15 minute stretch isn't worth the extra $1000+/yr to Verizon, for others it might be. As you said, everyone has different needs. To each his own.

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
My only complaint with T-Mobile is the coverage map in my area. LTE is spotty and some areas that the map claims to have LTE, doesn't.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm not the only one that finds the concept of the report bogus (and that is my IMO). T-Mobile may have the fastest AVERAGE LTE, but the speed depends on what square inch of land you are standing on, e.g. I posted my LTE speed a few posts up.

What good does it do anyone to know the average LTE speed of tmobile beats the other carriers, but the square inch of land you are on, you are barely able to make a voice call, much less do a speed test?

And this is in no way meant to take away what works for tmobiles customers. My comment was directed toward that bogus report.

And the above goes for any carrier, what good does claiming to have a relabel service if depends on what square inch of land you are on?

I can't get AT&T or Verizon at my house by I can get get amazing speeds with T-Mobile and I am in the biggest city in Colorado.

You need to clarify your statement to not just be about T-Mobile because it is about any carrier in general.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And the above goes for any carrier, what good does claiming to have a relabel service if depends on what square inch of land you are on?

I can't get AT&T or Verizon at my house by I can get get amazing speeds with T-Mobile and I am in the biggest city in Colorado.

You need to clarify your statement to not just be about T-Mobile because it is about any carrier in general.

That's why I say it depends on the square inch of land you are on. My last trip to Denver and the surrounding communities 5 bars all the way. More square inches of land are covered by the big two. Thats the way it is. There is always going to be one or more square inches, that are the exception.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Again you're making a broad statement based on your individual travel needs. This is a 17 page thread of people satisfied with their experience and I'm sure all of them don't live in downtown LA, NYC, Miami, etc. If doesn't work for you then by all means stick with AT&T. I personally can't think of any occasions where I'm going to find myself driving around RI nor Connecticut on a daily basis so I see no point in paying an extra $1000/yr to be on AT&T when they're offering similar service to TMO in my area. Obviously coverage in your area is different.

There is absolutely no way that you do any significant amount of traveling in the United States and have cell service the whole time. You will hit dead zones for all carriers. That being said, you will have AT&T and Verizon FAR more often than T-Mobile, and much of the T-Mobile coverage will be EDGE, while AT&T and Verizon are LTE. Sprint at least gives you sloooooooooow data and voice/text since they roam on Verizon. That's just the fact of the matter. It's not just RI and CT, it's basically every state except Florida minus the panhandle. Even if I lived in Florida, I wouldn't want service that didn't work well in any other state. There's a reason why it's known as Ghetto wireless. Because it doesn't work well much of anywhere.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
There is absolutely no way that you do any significant amount of traveling in the United States and have cell service the whole time. You will hit dead zones for all carriers. That being said, you will have AT&T and Verizon FAR more often than T-Mobile, and much of the T-Mobile coverage will be EDGE, while AT&T and Verizon are LTE. Sprint at least gives you sloooooooooow data and voice/text since they roam on Verizon. That's just the fact of the matter. It's not just RI and CT, it's basically every state except Florida minus the panhandle. Even if I lived in Florida, I wouldn't want service that didn't work well in any other state. There's a reason why it's known as Ghetto wireless. Because it doesn't work well much of anywhere.

T-Mobile is officially upgrading ALL of their EDGE to LTE, as stated by their CMO, Mike Sievert. :D

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 92

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That being said, you will have AT&T and Verizon FAR more often than T-Mobile, and much of the T-Mobile coverage will be EDGE, while AT&T and Verizon are LTE.

I guess it also depends on your phone habits. Personally, if I'm taking a road trip to another state and have to deal with Edge on the way there, I think I would live :) ... as long as SMS works at the very least. I could understand how this is a problem for other people though - those who are consistently in Edge areas and actually need to use their phone for work and such.

also, IIRC, you won't get data if you're roaming on Verizon through Sprint. If you do, it's 1X data which I'm not even sure if that is worth mentioning.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
T-Mobile is officially upgrading ALL of their EDGE to LTE, as stated by their CMO, Mike Sievert. :D

I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess it also depends on your phone habits. Personally, if I'm taking a road trip to another state and have to deal with Edge on the way there, I think I would live :) ... as long as SMS works at the very least. I could understand how this is a problem for other people though - those who are consistently in Edge areas and actually need to use their phone for work and such.

also, IIRC, you won't get data if you're roaming on Verizon through Sprint. If you do, it's 1X data which I'm not even sure if that is worth mentioning.

It's not work, it's the ability to get information. Where there are places to eat, get gas, maps, etc, etc. When I'm traveling, I'm constantly using my smartphone for stuff like this, and it's saved my bacon a few times (like when we were driving around rural Washington and Oregon and needed to dynamically re-plan our trip because the national parks got shut down due to the government shut down).

http://www.fiercewireless.com/press...national-rootscore-report-consumer-experience

This is pretty interesting. T-Mobile has the worst reliability, the worst data performance, the worst call performance and the worst text performance. In fact, the only area where T-Mobile didn’t finish in last place was in wireless data speeds, where it handily beat Sprint’s infamously slow 4G network.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Where did anyone state that there are NO dead spots anywhere in the US for any carrier? You're only restating the obvious.

Again, for the areas that I usually travel to by car, T-Mobile provides service. I agree there is EDGE between cities and in rural areas but for me the benefits of unlimited data where I'm spending most of my time (in the cities) outweighs the need for capped LTE or HSPA+ for the portion of the trip between the cities on AT&T/Verizon. I can still make calls/text/stream Pandora throughout those parts so I'm fine with that as are many others.

Needs vary for each individual and I find little value in the data plans VZW/AT&T offer in comparison. AT&T has made some steps towards offering better data plans for users but they're still not quite there yet and VZW isn't even close.

Then on the front of perceived value to consumers, obviously AT&T hasn't been getting it done over this past year as their growth has slowed to a crawl while "Ghetto Mobile" has grown by leaps and bounds. I guess their coverage is "good enough" for many and AT&T's pricing vs. coverage doesn't offer enough value to keep pace with the growth of TMO.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Where did anyone state that there are NO dead spots anywhere in the US for any carrier? You're only restating the obvious.

Again, for the areas that I usually travel to by car, T-Mobile provides service. I agree there is EDGE between cities and in rural areas but for me the benefits of unlimited data where I'm spending most of my time (in the cities) outweighs the need for capped LTE or HSPA+ for the portion of the trip between the cities on AT&T/Verizon. I can still make calls/text/stream Pandora throughout those parts so I'm fine with that as are many others.

Needs vary for each individual and I find little value in the data plans VZW/AT&T offer in comparison. AT&T has made some steps towards offering better data plans for users but they're still not quite there yet and VZW isn't even close.

Then on the front of perceived value to consumers, obviously AT&T hasn't been getting it done over this past year as their growth has slowed to a crawl while "Ghetto Mobile" has grown by leaps and bounds. I guess their coverage is "good enough" for many and AT&T's pricing vs. coverage doesn't offer enough value to keep pace with the growth of TMO.

What I am saying is that T-Mobile has a small fraction of the coverage of AT&T or Verizon, and even AT&T and Verizon have dead spots that you WILL hit if you travel any decent amount around the US. Hence, with T-Mobile, you will hit much larger dead spots for much longer.

Pandora often doesn't work over EDGE, especially when driving. And T-Mobile even has GPRS, along with a lot of areas that just plain old have NO SERVICE. Even here in CT, between NYC and Boston, we have large areas with no T-Mobile service, where AT&T has LTE, and Verizon has mostly LTE with some 3G mixed in.

AT&T offers Mobile Share Value, which can easily support 4 heavy smartphone users.

Now AT&T is offering prices close to that of T-Mobile, but with coverage and service that is orders of magnitude better. Add in various prepaid options, and there is no good case for T-Mobile. They just don't offer anything compelling that AT&T doesn't. At least with Sprint's crappy network, you're guaranteed good coverage with 1xRTT service, since they roam on Verizon, although 1xRTT is just as painful as EDGE speed wise.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Now AT&T is offering prices close to that of T-Mobile, but with coverage and service that is orders of magnitude better. Add in various prepaid options, and there is no good case for T-Mobile. They just don't offer anything compelling that AT&T doesn't. At least with Sprint's crappy network, you're guaranteed good coverage with 1xRTT service, since they roam on Verizon, although 1xRTT is just as painful as EDGE speed wise.
I, for one, am extremely grateful to T-Mobile for forcing AT&T to lower their rates. :rolleyes:

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
What I am saying is that T-Mobile has a small fraction of the coverage of AT&T or Verizon, and even AT&T and Verizon have dead spots that you WILL hit if you travel any decent amount around the US. Hence, with T-Mobile, you will hit much larger dead spots for much longer.

Pandora often doesn't work over EDGE, especially when driving. And T-Mobile even has GPRS, along with a lot of areas that just plain old have NO SERVICE. Even here in CT, between NYC and Boston, we have large areas with no T-Mobile service, where AT&T has LTE, and Verizon has mostly LTE with some 3G mixed in.

AT&T offers Mobile Share Value, which can easily support 4 heavy smartphone users.

Only you know what is compelling compared to other providers. For me, unlimited data (even on EDGE) is compelling enough for me. But living in NYC, I see places where I have never had AT&T data coverage indoors now get LTE on T-Mobile. So it works for me. You stay on AT&T and we will stay with T-Mobile or whomever works best for us.

T-Mobile still is Fantastic since they were the biggest reason for AT&T lowering their rates at all. You can go thank T-Mobile for that. I remember another person who always used to bash T-Mobile mention that AT&T or Verizon doesn't need to lower their prices because of T-Mobile. Well, they did. And I think now that person also is reaping the benefit of that lower prices.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Only you know what is compelling compared to other providers. For me, unlimited data (even on EDGE) is compelling enough for me. But living in NYC, I see places where I have never had AT&T data coverage indoors now get LTE on T-Mobile. So it works for me. You stay on AT&T and we will stay with T-Mobile or whomever works best for us.

T-Mobile still is Fantastic since they were the biggest reason for AT&T lowering their rates at all. You can go thank T-Mobile for that. I remember another person who always used to bash T-Mobile mention that AT&T or Verizon doesn't need to lower their prices because of T-Mobile. Well, they did. And I think now that person also is reaping the benefit of that lower prices.

In NYC, if you want the best service, you get Verizon. Period. They have better coverage than anybody else, hands down. And they have good coverage elsewhere. Yes, you have to sell your soul to the devil to get their service, but they own NYC.

I was very surprised that AT&T responded to T-Mobile, as T-Mobile doesn't really compete with AT&T and Verizon. People who want bargain basement, low quality service aren't going to pay for AT&T or Verizon, and people who want good service that actually works aren't going to settle for T-Mobile or Sprint's crappy service.

I, for one, am extremely grateful to T-Mobile for forcing AT&T to lower their rates. :rolleyes:

True, this was a positive and rather unexpected result of T-Mobile's plans. Still, I would rather have had AT&T's old prices under AT&T&T with a network with over double their current capacity...

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
In NYC, if you want the best service, you get Verizon. Period. They have better coverage than anybody else, hands down. And they have good coverage elsewhere. Yes, you have to sell your soul to the devil to get their service, but they own NYC.

I was very surprised that AT&T responded to T-Mobile, as T-Mobile doesn't really compete with AT&T and Verizon. People who want bargain basement, low quality service aren't going to pay for AT&T or Verizon, and people who want good service that actually works aren't going to settle for T-Mobile or Sprint's crappy service.

True, this was a positive and rather unexpected result of T-Mobile's plans. Still, I would rather have had AT&T's old prices under AT&T&T with a network with over double their current capacity...

Was with Verizon but they had capacity issues and werent great in NYC when i left. I dont know if you have ever been to the financial district early last year but if you did, you would know how terrible they were. Now with them getting AWS available, they are better or best. However, i am happy with my service with T-Mobile and wont switch to Verizon even if they work "elsewhere". Dont need to go to other places as much as others who "need" it everywhere. I pay less for more where i go and live.

I rather give my money to T-Mobile and support their cause to help them build their coverage. That would truly help them compete better with the doupoly.

Edit: Btw, 200 million pop has LTE coverage with T-Mobile. If thats not competition to AT&T and Verizon, i don't know what is.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I have a Verizon 5s that Im thinking of switching to T-Mobile with. Is this phone good to use on T-Mobile? Will I have any problems? Also, I have unlimited with Verizon and don't really want to lose it but Ive been having terrible service for awhile now so I want T-Mobile. Is there a way I can use my 5s on T-Mobile using their $70 Unlimited plan and keep my Verizon plan(with no active phone) until I decide for sure what one to keep. I paid full retail for my phone so I think it is unlocked. I bought it from Apple.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Was with Verizon but they had capacity issues and werent great in NYC when i left. I dont know if you have ever been to the financial district early last year but if you did, you would know how terrible they were. Now with them getting AWS available, they are better or best. However, i am happy with my service with T-Mobile and wont switch to Verizon even if they work "elsewhere". Dont need to go to other places as much as others who "need" it everywhere. I pay less for more where i go and live.

I rather give my money to T-Mobile and support their cause to help them build their coverage. That would truly help them compete better with the doupoly.

Edit: Btw, 200 million pop has LTE coverage with T-Mobile. If thats not competition to AT&T and Verizon, i don't know what is.

I used t-mobiles web site to price out a family plan with unlimited data, same as what I have now. If I disregard; fees, taxes, account addons, my net savings is $15/mo, plus I have to buy 4 devices.

It seems that if you have a very low data usage and the coverage area of T-Mobile suits your lifestyle, it's a win/win.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I have a Verizon 5s that Im thinking of switching to T-Mobile with. Is this phone good to use on T-Mobile? Will I have any problems? Also, I have unlimited with Verizon and don't really want to lose it but Ive been having terrible service for awhile now so I want T-Mobile. Is there a way I can use my 5s on T-Mobile using their $70 Unlimited plan and keep my Verizon plan(with no active phone) until I decide for sure what one to keep. I paid full retail for my phone so I think it is unlocked. I bought it from Apple.

You could buy T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan (100 minutes, unlimited texting and 5 GB 4G data, after that, you get unlimited 2G) and test out T-Mobile's network. :D

By the way, the Verizon iPhone 5S supports all of T-Mobile's network :D, except their upcoming 700A MHz LTE. :(

Last edited:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
You could buy T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan (1,000 minutes, unlimited texting and 5 GB 4G data, after that, you get unlimited 2G) and test out T-Mobile's network. :D

By the way, the Verizon iPhone 5S supports all of T-Mobile's network :D, except their upcoming 700A MHz LTE. :(

1,000 minutes? I wish :( More like 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.