Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kozre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Hello Everybody,
My first macbook pro retina 13 late 13, I want to help SSD to stay healthy)
Can you tell me, please, do this tweaks https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505922/
work on mavericks, for example hibernation or other stuff, can you give me some advices?
Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say any of those tweaks will not really extend the life of the SSD materially. Sure it may add a tiny bit of life, but who's to say it extends it by a large factor.

The SSD is designed to be used and from what I've read the life expectancy of any modern day SSD will far outstrip that of the laptop. If you are planning on having this laptop for 3 to 5 years the SSD should be fine.

Disabling hibernation and removing the sleep image file has some advantages, like freeing up storage on the SSD which can be cramped, but extending its life - I've not thought or considered that.

Kozre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I'd say any of those tweaks will not really extend the life of the SSD materially. Sure it may add a tiny bit of life, but who's to say it extends it by a large factor.

If I uncheck "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" it will be same as turning off hibernation? Or better to do this through terminal?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Just don't bother. Who cares whether the SSD will run out of cells in 10 years or rather in 11?

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
The ssd life is a lot for an average user. Depending on what ssd you have generally most mlc drives like the ones on the retina and air have 3000 erase cycles which would be 3000x capacity of your drive. Do the math and you would realize you would not write that much data before deciding to upgrade to a newer laptop. However trim will speed up your performance.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
These are not really necessary since the SSD will outlast the life of the machine in all likelihood. Also, the one about modifying the swap file is bad for newer MacBooks since it will cause them to lose battery power rapidly during sleep.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Just use the machine as its meant to be used, you've paid a princely sum for it. In several years time it will make little difference if the drive lasts a few months longer due to your wasting your time Molly coddling it now. And that will only be compounded by how cheap a replacement will be by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.