Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd go for extension tubes because they don't put any more glass between you and the subject. A macro 'filter' is just an extra magnifying lens element which is likely to add distortion and aberrations to your image. Extension tubes alternatively, allow you to focus at a closer distance to reduce the field of view. They will work with all your lenses and not just one filter size.

Any particular brand you would recommend? The Nikon ones cost nearly as much as a lens. I've seen cheap ones for like £10 on Amazon, with mixed reviews. Some sat brilliant for the price, where as another guy said they ruined his lens as they got stuck on!

Anyway got a lens hood today. Going to try it out tomorrow (weather permitting).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 209

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Any particular brand you would recommend? The Nikon ones cost nearly as much as a lens. I've seen cheap ones for like £10 on Amazon, with mixed reviews. Some sat brilliant for the price, where as another guy said they ruined his lens as they got stuck on!

I've only ever used own brand ones. How about a used one on Ebay? It's not like they'll ever wear out.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Got myself one of these
4BeIdRRoL6beyeGIcPp7L5vORNEJ9lfRx6S-A7nThyKjgnK7GLyhMh_SHSaXdWZO3E26ySKcgXd0D_nbsqOMsqszYY98h5K8s6_Ewxbm6UPg1v9Kwd6N17pVn6DOXN0q0nbjHcs=s0-d-e1-ft

And a set of these
ukKpCg0yaBPx4HdyHyNoIy--l8uNIrXZAZlV91Ef8WzJo3e25BJ1MCj-OsBcon0ttXKZfVJzAUXkSb7NuNukytqmAZQ1mbzMFDCzQgjuYzpSfodSlFO0oUiwPYy1wFPYIS12woc=s0-d-e1-ft

Been looking at getting the extension tubes for a while (since September according to above!). Hopefully getting the more expensive Kenko set means I won't have any issues with tubes stuck to my lens/camera.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Bought this for my wife to use (for eBay) and for a bit of indoor macro on rainy days. For £35 including the light you can't go wrong. Just be sure to let them cool down before packing away in the (almost fold flat) case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 173

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just stuck this in the Picture of your last purchase thread, but thought it should go here as well. Been meaning to order one for a while to use with my borrowed speed light.
Hopefully it gets here in time for this weeks competition.

So what about the rest of you? I know I'm not the only one buying equipment!

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 653

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another accessory everyone should get for their camera. For £18 you can't go wrong. I paid £15 though at the show. It's actually a thin glass protector. On my D3200 I just made one from an old iPhone protection kit I had lying around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 615

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Like Joe, I cannot stand the factory strap. Especially in this Florida heat. The BlackRapid strap is awesome. I can't believe I waited as long as I did. As for the tripod dilemma, and assuming you use a Manfrotto RC2 release plate, this adapter should fix that. I bought mine the same day I got the strap and it works great. The only thing I don't like is that you have to untether the camera when going on the tripod but at least you can keep the tripod plate screwed on to your camera at all times. I got mine at a local camera store and there were two types of BlackRapid tripod adapters, so you might want to do some research if you're using something other than a Manfrotto RC2 release plate.

ever used hand/wrists straps?

----------

Anyway got a lens hood today. Going to try it out tomorrow (weather permitting).

try b+w filters, there made in germany and good qualty

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
ever used the Canon E2 wrist strap?

Nope. I've moved away from DSLRs. When I do use one, it is a Nikon D800. No experience at all with Canon. I find DSLRs too heavy to use with a wrist strap. In fact I find DSLRs too heavy and cumbersome to use at all for what I like to shoot. One of the major reasons I moved to a rangefinder. But that's a separate discussion.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Anybody own a Lowepro Flipside 400? Looks like quite a nice bag for less than £100.
http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/flipside-400-aw
1028115.jpg

Looking for a bag for 2-3 lenses, A D7100 body, Tripod mount, Flash gun, water bottle and the usual small accessories.
My only concern is it's not waterproof (although it comes with a waterproof cover. I assume it would offer some protection in light rain though?
Similar recommendations welcome!

KimJonNumberUn

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Anybody own a Lowepro Flipside 400? Looks like quite a nice bag for less than £100.
http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/flipside-400-aw

Looking for a bag for 2-3 lenses, A D7100 body, Tripod mount, Flash gun, water bottle and the usual small accessories.
My only concern is it's not waterproof (although it comes with a waterproof cover. I assume it would offer some protection in light rain though?

INCASE makes some nice bags. Horrible customer service though

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

I haven't used this one AFB but Lowepro does make a good bag. Make sure you can take it home to try it out before the sale becomes final. Also, even if you think you have all the gear you need, make sure you have extra room in that bag because you will buy more stuff.

Having room for a snack, rain hat, you know...those comfort type things, is nice as well.

I wouldn't worry about waterproof as long as you do have a rain cover. I found that some of the more water resistant bags have zippers, straps, clasps, etc. that can be a pain to open and close.

~ Peter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
After looking around decided I would get the Lowepro Flipside 400. WEX had a 10% off sale, and as a mate was visiting, saved myself the carriage as well. Went with the black though.
ND filters are next on my list now!

Attachments

• flipside-400.jpg
    flipside-400.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 253

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I took my Lowepro Sling II out for it's first excursion today and it performed wonderfully. I was after something that didn't look like a camera bag that I could out other stuff in too. This fitted the bill perfectly. I like that it can extend to fit more bits and bobs in.

I got mine from Jessops for £41 (they price matched for me).

91sAeLGYy-L._SL1500_.jpg

PassportSling2_right.jpg

Not my pics obviously.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Anybody using a black rapid?

Ideally I'd like to use the double strap for two bodies and still be able to use my backpack. Don't think thats gonna work though. Basically having one in the bag and one round my neck isn't great when I need to swap lenses (as it all gets in the way) or want to switch out for my second body.
31OXSaLnrLL.jpg

It's £100 though so I'd appreciate anybody's experience.

Life would be so much easier if Nikon made a 10-400mm 2.8 with no distortion!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Been thinking about getting a Black rapid strap, but put off by the expense. I was talking about it at work when a colleague said he had a Jolby one I could try. I'll give it a proper review at the weekend, but so far.

Pro's (paid nothing for it, works with my backpack)

Cons (internet stories of dropped equipment, No shoulder padding so not sure how comfortable it will be).

I have a long day on Sunday to let you guys know though. Shooting the Red arrows at their corporate day through work.
Because of this I have also ordered a monopod, as I'm not sure there will be room for a tripod. Didn't want to spend a fortune, but I like the build quality of Manfrotto.

Not my pictures.

Attachments

• Jolby.jpg
    Jolby.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 21ZVV4NEDRL.jpg
    21ZVV4NEDRL.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 398

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Been thinking about getting a Black rapid strap, but put off by the expense. I was talking about it at work when a colleague said he had a Jolby one I could try. I'll give it a proper review at the weekend, but so far.

Pro's (paid nothing for it, works with my backpack)

Cons (internet stories of dropped equipment, No shoulder padding so not sure how comfortable it will be).

I have a long day on Sunday to let you guys know though. Shooting the Red arrows at their corporate day through work.
Because of this I have also ordered a monopod, as I'm not sure there will be room for a tripod. Didn't want to spend a fortune, but I like the build quality of Manfrotto.

Not my pictures.

I have the Joby sling strap. I like it a lot. I bought the Tripod mounting bracket to make attaching it to a tripod easier. I've used a 35 prime and 18-200 zoom lens and both work and feel fine. The lack of padding is fine with me. the way it sits, it doesn't strain your neck.

*not sure if their tripod mounting bracket works with the Head on the Monopod. I know a few tripods that switch to a monopod, though.

**as for the dropping of equipment...i read the stories and find it hard to believe. you tighten the lock, then use a quarter to tighten it more. mine, after almost year has not felt loose yet. granted, as with any attachment on the tripod mount/screw, you are supposed to check it each time. (i don't always)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have the Joby sling strap. I like it a lot. I bought the Tripod mounting bracket to make attaching it to a tripod easier. I've used a 35 prime and 18-200 zoom lens and both work and feel fine. The lack of padding is fine with me. the way it sits, it doesn't strain your neck.

*not sure if their tripod mounting bracket works with the Head on the Monopod. I know a few tripods that switch to a monopod, though.

**as for the dropping of equipment...i read the stories and find it hard to believe. you tighten the lock, then use a quarter to tighten it more. mine, after almost year has not felt loose yet. granted, as with any attachment on the tripod mount/screw, you are supposed to check it each time. (i don't always)

Thanks. Yes it seems pretty secure. It comes with an additional safety carabiner that attaches to the original camera strap mounting point. I'll give it an outing before deciding on the tripod mount.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Ideally I'd like to use the double strap for two bodies and still be able to use my backpack. Don't think thats gonna work though. Basically having one in the bag and one round my neck isn't great when I need to swap lenses (as it all gets in the way) or want to switch out for my second body.Image
It's £100 though so I'd appreciate anybody's experience.

Life would be so much easier if Nikon made a 10-400mm 2.8 with no distortion!

Missed this post earlier AFB and I don't know if this is a dead issue at this point but...

I have a double BlackRapid strap and use it with a backpack on occasion – no problems. I find that the pack does not interfere with the camera strap. The slings on the strap hang lower at the sides and hips whereas the pack and straps hang much higher on the back and shoulders.

You just have to put the pack on last over the camera strap.

The only problem I find is that you end up looking like some sort of crazy maniacal weekend warrior with all that gear visible instead of concealed in the backpack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.