Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Great visuals, poor story and plot.

Oh come on, this is hardly a Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich movie!

The story is simple but to the point. It's an "experience" style movie. You, or at least I, want to see what our protagonist has to deal with next.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Great visuals, poor story and plot.

Excellent summary.

Oh come on, this is hardly a Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich movie!

The story is simple but to the point. It's an "experience" style movie. You, or at least I, want to see what our protagonist has to deal with next.

But apart from the stunning visuals (which are impressive) there is so little to the story that nobody in their right mind would have the remotest interest in revisiting it. Even the characters of the two 'leads' were extraordinarily two-dimensional.

It is precisely because the story was so 'simple' (but hardly epic and entirely lacking depth) that I feel it does not deserve the number of Oscars it received.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Excellent summary.

But apart from the stunning visuals (which are impressive) there is so little to the story that nobody in their right mind would have the remotest interest in revisiting it. Even the characters of the two 'leads' were extraordinarily two-dimensional.

It is precisely because the story was so 'simple' (but hardly epic and entirely lacking depth) that I feel it does not deserve the number of Oscars it received.

I'd counter that the important Oscars that usually designate an important movie went in other directions. :)

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
This movie was simply awful. How can a destroyed satellite take down the Orbiter, AND not ONE but TWO huge space stations?

And where did that parachute come from that all tangled up on the ISS?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I thought it was an excellent movie. The movie has a more realistic pacing where it feels like you are really experiencing what the characters are going through. The 3D is really well done. (It wasn't gimmicky like most 3D movies) The soundtrack is amazing and chilling. Overall, a very engaging, dramatic space movie.

Just bought it (the 3D Blu Ray) but have not watched it yet.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This movie was simply awful. How can a destroyed satellite take down the Orbiter, AND not ONE but TWO huge space stations?

I've not been in the habit of defending Gravity but from a realism standpoint, I'll throw these things out. The Director has acknowledged that liberties and exaggerations were included to sustain the narrative. While I had problems with the narrative, I thought the visual effects were fantastic and believable (enough) to be awed. :) :

Overall Realism:
Cuarón has stated that Gravity is not always scientifically accurate and that some liberties were needed to sustain the story.[92] "This is not a documentary," Cuarón said. "It is a piece of fiction."[93] The film has been praised for the realism of its premises and its overall adherence to physical principles, despite several inaccuracies and exaggerations.[94][95][96] According to NASA Astronaut Michael J. Massimino, who took part in the Hubble Space Telescope Servicing Missions STS-109 and STS-125, "nothing was out of place, nothing was missing. There was a one-of-a-kind wirecutter we used on one of my spacewalks and sure enough they had that wirecutter in the movie."[97]
Wiki

Exaggerations:
*The diffusion of the cloud of orbital debris was much more rapid than it would be in reality (it would take weeks, months, or years, depending on the mass-to-area ratio and altitude of the debris).
*Collision scenes have much more devastating consequences in the movie than would be expected from the impact of pieces of orbital debris.
link

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA

From the second escape module. The one she used to get to the Chinese space station. That module was damaged in the first strike and caused the parachute to deploy.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Ryan Stone's story is straightforward, but compelling. The goal was to show how these events might play out from Ryan Stone's point of view, and, in my opinion, the movie succeeded very well at that.

As for Gravity's Oscar wins - directing, cinematography, musical score, sound editing, sound mixing, and visual effects - most were related to the technical aspects of filmmaking. I'd say that they were well-deserved. Cuarón and his crew did an amazing job making it seem as if Stone and Kowalski were in near-Earth orbit.

I actually liked the movie enough to have seen it twice, though I'll admit that the second go around was a free viewing on television so that my wife could watch it for the first time. Guess I'm not in my right mind. :)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
From the second escape module. The one she used to get to the Chinese space station. That module was damaged in the first strike and caused the parachute to deploy.

Thus the need to get to the Chinese space station in the first place. That module could not re-enter the Earth's atmosphere. The CSS module was not damaged. None of the controls were in English, but that doesn't count. ;)

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Thus the need to get to the Chinese space station in the first place. That module could not re-enter the Earth's atmosphere. The CSS module was not damaged. None of the controls were in English, but that doesn't count. ;)
I feel like if she was qualified to actually go into space, she would have an idea of how to work the controls despite being a different language, if they were all in the same place.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Apparently others highly disagree with you.

Gravity, from just my little circle of friends and what I have been reading online at the various Home Theater forums. You either really liked this movie or you really hated it. I have not found to many that say it was "ok" or "just ok". This seems to be one of those movies that are polarizing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Gravity, from just my little circle of friends and what I have been reading online at the various Home Theater forums. You either really liked this movie or you really hated it. I have not found to many that say it was "ok" or "just ok". This seems to be one of those movies that are polarizing.

I'm one of the not too many. :) I was thinking, besides the over the top kabooms, this could be a very realistic story as far as the actions of the Sandy, what she did and sai, and even the overall narrative. What happens in real life does not always make a wonderful story, however, it's usually the duty of the director, to keep his movie from being too life like, if that means makes it flat or boring. Not boring, but flat and I did not buy Clooney's stoicness. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.