Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Science and technology company Azoi has unveiled the Wello health monitoring case for the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhont 5s, allowing users to track various human metrics such as blood pressure, heart rate, temperature and more, reports GigaOM.

wello_iphone_case.jpg
The case itself features a thin design with Bluetooth functionality, and includes a microprocessor along with two sensors on its rear. Users are able to measure their health metrics by placing two fingers over designated holes on the back of the case, with a reading taking a few seconds and appearing on a companion app.

Azoi states that the Wello can sync with accessories such as a Wi-Fi scale and other fitness trackers, and contains a battery that lasts up to two months on a single charge. The accessory also allows multiple users to register their health metrics through the app, as health trends and patterns will be displayed over time.

Apple is rumored to be including health tracking functionality similar to the Wello in its wearable iWatch device, which is reportedly in development for a release later this year. A report earlier this month stated that the iWatch could perhaps incorporate optical sensors to measure physical functions such as heart rate and oxygen levels, as Apple is rumored to be including a"Healthbook" app in iOS 8 that would assist users in tracking health statistics in conjunction with the iWatch and iPhone.

The Wello is available to pre-order for $199, as Azoi plans to launch the product later this year pending approval from the United States Food and Drug Administration. Those who pre-order early will also receive a free spirometer attachment to measure lung functions.

Article Link: Azoi Unveils 'Wello' Health Tracking Case for iPhone

HussamRaed

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
What a way to market a product! That video is incredibly convincing. Seriously considering one right now. :p

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
wow! this is really cool! why does apple take ages to bring something as simple as this? very nice advert too!

huges84

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
They want you to order now to maybe get it by fall. But by then the iPhone 6 and possibly the iwatch will be out or nearly so and either one may track health. Also that case likely won't work with iPhone 6.

I think they realize this and are trying to get your order now before they have to compete with Apple.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Medical grade accuracy?!

If true, that is absolutely amazing. Makes me very anxious for the iWatch and its possibilities, especiall as a gym junkie and a person who is making strong efforts to become a healthier eater.

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
Seems promising enough but from the look of the picture it fails to do the one thing a case should: protect the screen as well as the body. Even a tiny bit extra is enough to protect from scratches and falls, big fail on their part

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The only problem I have with this is you need to actively put your fingers on the sensors to perform the test. A system where you were constantly being passively monitored and notified when your 'vitals' indicate a problem would appeal to me a lot more.

Great advert though!

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Privacy laws regarding health information are quite strong. I wonder what safeguards and compliance are being built into all these new services.

haydenfive

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
The biggest problem here is the iPhone6 will be available by the time this product comes to market. Do they really expect that the user this appeals to will continue to use a previous generation phone?

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Not sure why it has to be a case -- wouldn't it be more flexible if it were a separate bluetooth connected thing you could stick in your pocket & take with you only when you want it? Doubling as a (probably not very good) case doesn't make much sense to me, especially as it won't work with all generations of iPhone, as others have pointed out.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Not sure why it has to be a case -- wouldn't it be more flexible if it were a separate bluetooth connected thing you could stick in your pocket & take with you only when you want it? Doubling as a (probably not very good) case doesn't make much sense to me, especially as it won't work with all generations of iPhone, as others have pointed out.

+1.

Some folks may want a case-based solution, but Wello needs to make another version that does not attach to iPhone.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Looks good, but the case design won't help me when I upgrade to a larger iPhone 6 or 6s. Like someone else mentioned here, a bluetooth-enabled standalone device would be better. Maybe he's trying to get it out before the iWatch arrives. I know a lot of people over the age of 30 who would love to make the task of monitoring their vitals/health easier.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Pretty impressive technology. Would be vastly better in an "iWatch" form factor though.

But yeah, that guy has totally nailed the Stanley Kubrick look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.