Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Moov fitness tracker is a new wearable fitness device that is designed to sense both motion and 3D form in order to analyze the wearer's movement, giving tips to improve physical activities and workouts. It uses 9-axis sensors, including accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer to evaluate form.

Acting as a digital personal trainer, Moov can analyze activities like running, weight lifting, boxing, swimming, biking, and more, providing real-time audio advice and feedback. When running, for example, Moov can monitor cadence and analyze landing impact to prevent injury, and when boxing, it can analyze power and form, matching moves with certified trainers.

moov.jpg
Moov provides a two-fold benefit: firstly, to enable users to maximize their workouts, and secondly, to prevent injuries by providing real-time coaching based on a complex analysis of your body's position while you are exercising.

Existing fitness trackers in the market today are brilliant in that they help people to become more aware of their activity levels, and with Moov, we want to help you turn your data into actionable insights. Our goal is to give users the same experience with Moov as they would with an actual personal trainer. Well, a close-enough experience. How so? Moov operates like a virtual coach - it "sees" your motion and systematically "tells" you how to correct your form.
After launch, Moov will gain features allowing users to improve yoga workouts through posture tracking and enhance golf games with swing analysis. All data gathered is also stored within an accompanying app, for at-a-glance statistics on workouts and performance.

Moov, designed in collaboration with a former Apple software engineer, is able to be worn in several different locations on the body, including the wrist and ankle, for specialized motion tracking for a range of activities. The device is waterproof and will come in several different color arrangements at launch. Two or more Moov devices can be used in conjunction for improved activity monitoring for actions like boxing.

Moov can be pre-ordered from the Moov website for $59.99, a 50 percent discount off of the standard price. Moov is expected to ship in the summer of 2014.

Article Link: Moov Personal Training Device Tracks and Evaluates Motion to Improve Workout Efficiency

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
This interests me quite a bit actually. I'm tempted by current fitness trackers, but I dislike that they only tell you what you're doing at the moment, and not how to do it better.

The real deal is waiting to see if it lives up to what they claim. There's a LOT of variables involved.

EDIT: Gave in and bought it. That lasted long haha. Now to play the waiting game...

Last edited:

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
My brain hurts just trying to think about how you would code this level of analysis.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Interesting...

Its funny to see how the marketplace has evolved post-iPhone. Companies are doing the two-step to avoid ever getting blind sided by another "i-Phone" event. Amazing the massive/tectonic activity surrounding wearables ever since the iWatch rumors started. Will be interesting to see how well Apple fares under this type of market condition since it serves to raise expectations to the stratosphere.

...onto the Moov....looks extremely interesting and uber tempting. I'm going to try to resist until the iWatch reveal...whenever that comes...to see Apple's take on what a perfect wearable "should" be. No doubt they will debut with lots of self exalting "Apple" talk about how they are the only company that could do it RIGHT.

...how long will this be supported till Apple/Google/Amazon buys this company? Apple let Nest go. Will they let this one get away? Funny how much (necessary) speculation has crept into consumer electronic purchases?

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Seems like a useful and legit product, but many, if not most, of its functions could show up in the rumored 'iWatch', as that will most likely also have multiple sensors, an accelerometer, and a gyroscope, amongst who knows what else.

I give Moove credit for a sleek, and for now, reasonably priced product, but unfortunately for them, many potential users of such a device are now taking a wait-and-see attitude until Apple officially enters that arena.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
This seams to be the first thing for swimmers, just a shame that i can not find more info about it on their website.
Have been looking into something to help me track my swims for a while now, just doesn't seams like anything exist

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I backed Atlas which looks a lot more advanced. Thinking about doing this one too for kicks, but frankly don't need more crowdfund junk.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Why there is one Samesung phone in the picture?

I thought this not yet available on Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.