Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I am reluctantly part of the 25.9%...the only thing I am happy about is that the download went smoothly and was very easy...with further tweaking of my own into settings...the new OS most likely will grow on me (saying that softly) but....(you knew there was a but)

the music app is the worst, how could they mess up a perfectly iOS6 music app and create this mess is beyond me, the person that authorized this should be fired as they clearly don't have more than 1 album per artist in their library. It is no longer user friendly, the cascading of tiles I have to scroll through for 114 albums of my favorite artist is beyond imaginable. I think their degrees got in the way of their thinking clearly about creating the music app. The only thing they got right about the music app is the slide to unlock when your music is playing and the cool black background color THAT needs to be implemented into the Music App itself.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
:rolleyes: The article doesn't indicate how many people are "refusing to upgrade."

I'm sorry I didn't realise we were digressing to petty word selection here? :rolleyes:

The article does indicate those that have and haven't, and as some people have already said to YOU, refuse to upgrade past iOS 6

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I'm sorry I didn't realise we were digressing to petty word selection here? :rolleyes:

The article does indicate those that have and haven't, and as some people have already said to YOU, refuse to upgrade past iOS 6

No semantics. As explained be several people, there is a big difference between people that haven't upgraded and those that refuse to upgrade. Since your obvious point was based on the latter, you failed to account for people who haven't upgraded for other reasons. The primary one being that some devices can't upgrade to iOS 7.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
What horribly configured version of Windows are you using (or misusing)? Haven't ran into this kind of thing since pre-XP days.

Every version of Windows that *had* an automated update system does this once the update list gets long enough.
1) Bring up a new box.
2) Tell it to install all the available updates.
3) If you don't know better, you assume you're done.
4) In reality, unless it's a newly released version, you're looking at several update/reboot cycles until it's actually up to date.

For example: I rebuilt an XP box recently, and it took 13 update/reboot cycles before I even got to the point where I was installing *driver* updates.

Did the same with a Win 7 Pro box a couple months ago, and it took 7 update/reboot cycles to get to the same stage.

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I find it interesting to see how many people are still bitching about iOS 7 and even avoiding upgrading at all. To me, apps using the old UI style look so dated already.

To be fair, I don't *love* iOS 7's look not everything about it, but I got used to it. I'm a jailbreaker and use Eclipse to make the UI for many apps dark colored, which I think looks *way* better. I hope Apple themselves introduce a night-mode like this in the future (probably iOS 8 is the earliest we could expect something like that).

Also, the transitions and animations are slow as hell. I use a tweak (NoSlowAnimations) to rectify this, but when I turn that off, it's so annoying.

There are bugs here and there, but let's hope that iOS 7.1 fixes those (and the crashing on the 5s which is a pretty awful issue). I think that iOS 7 is a fine direction, but it seemed a little unfinished. But to avoid all the advances that have been made and to not be able to use iOS 7-only apps just because of an attachment to a retro-skeuomorphic design language? It doesn't seem at all worth it to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Every version of Windows that *had* an automated update system does this once the update list gets long enough.
1) Bring up a new box.
2) Tell it to install all the available updates.
3) If you don't know better, you assume you're done.
4) In reality, unless it's a newly released version, you're looking at several update/reboot cycles until it's actually up to date.

For example: I rebuilt an XP box recently, and it took 13 update/reboot cycles before I even got to the point where I was installing *driver* updates.

Did the same with a Win 7 Pro box a couple months ago, and it took 7 update/reboot cycles to get to the same stage.
Yes, if you are talking about a brand new install, perhaps, but that is far from a common case, so not something that someone would run into often or even sometimes, perhaps seldom at best. Using that as some sort of a generic comparison to how Windows does updates in general is somewhat disingenuous in a sense.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
No semantics. As explained be several people, there is a big difference between people that haven't upgraded and those that refuse to upgrade. Since your obvious point was based on the latter, you failed to account for people who haven't upgraded for other reasons. The primary one being that some devices can't upgrade to iOS 7.

Taking your primary reason into account would make it a very small number compared to the growth every year of idevices. Regardless of whatever reason, it's still a significant number which will only grow over time.

Also my point was not based on just refusal. Maybe I should of covered all bases and said something like, "Still a large group that haven't/refuse/can't/don't know how/unable/feel scared/add reason here to iOS 7

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Taking your primary reason into account would make it a very small number compared to the growth every year of idevices. Regardless of whatever reason, it's still a significant number which will only grow over time.

This seems like a complete contradiction. Will the number grow or shrink over time?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Taking your primary reason into account would make it a very small number compared to the growth every year of idevices.

A very small number? Relative to what?

760 million iOS devices sold by the end of 2013. 160-200 million can't even run iOS 7 (for a low end estimate). That's 21%-26% of all devices ever sold. Obviously, a lot of them aren't in use any more. But certainly a good chunk of the devices not on iOS 7.

More to the original point, around 60 million iPhone 3GS and 15 million 4th Gen iPod touch could run iOS 6 and not iOS 7. Hardly a very small number. About 10% of iOS devices sold. Right in line with the 13% who are still on iOS 6.

Regardless of whatever reason, it's still a significant number which will only grow over time.

What number are you talking about here? Are you saying the number of people not upgrading to iOS 7 will grow over time? :confused:

Also my point was not based on just refusal. Maybe I should of covered all bases and said something like, "Still a large group that haven't/refuse/can't/don't know how/unable/feel scared/add reason here to iOS 7

That seems very different than your original post. What would be the point of that observation?

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
A very small number? Relative to what?

760 million iOS devices sold by the end of 2013. 160-200 million can't even run iOS 7 (for a low end estimate). That's 21%-26% of all devices ever sold. Obviously, a lot of them aren't in use any more. But certainly a good chunk of the devices not on iOS 7.

So now you are saying there are a large number? You can't have it both ways?

Also how do you know the old devices are not being used anymore. You have a source? My iPhone 3G is still in use. I must be unique :rolleyes:

More to the original point, around 60 million iPhone 3GS and 15 million 4th Gen iPod touch could run iOS 6 and not iOS 7. Hardly a very small number. About 10% of iOS devices sold. Right in line with the 13% who are still on iOS 6.

So again it's a large number. Isn't that what I said originally?

What number are you talking about here? Are you saying the number of people not upgrading to iOS 7 will grow over time? :confused:

You've kept the thread going so long now I'm even getting confused :D
To put it in simple terms, the number of iDevices/people that won't or cannot upgrade to the latest iOS will grow. That was suppose to be what my original reply was about, but we have travelled down to the path of picking up mistakes in the way things have been comprehended.

That seems very different than your original post. What would be the point of that observation?

No, not really. I've been trying to explain what I originally meant but you continue to find fault in my replies. The way this conversation has dragged on appears as though you thought I was trolling. Far from the truth. I was just making a general observation that over time the number of people not upgrading, for whatever reason, is growing. EOL and many other factors can/may cause this over time.

Wow, all this over word semantics :rolleyes:

----------

This seems like a complete contradiction. Will the number grow or shrink over time?

It will grow, but it will never be as big as the uptake of a new iOS (Fingers Crossed)

2 examples.

1. Devices unable to upgrade for various reasons which are still perfectly fine to use day to day.
2. Devices not upgraded by choice.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
It will grow, but it will never be as big as the uptake of a new iOS (Fingers Crossed)

2 examples.

1. Devices unable to upgrade for various reasons which are still perfectly fine to use day to day.
2. Devices not upgraded by choice.

What ever, this is what you said:

The first sentence takes into account that new devices comes on the market, in relation to this group, the number of old devices will become smaller over time, which you yourself assert.

In the very next sentence you say that the number will grow, it can't both grow and decline at the same time. Old devices, dies, get's lost, breaks down, thrown away etc over time.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
There are bugs here and there, but let's hope that iOS 7.1 fixes those (and the crashing on the 5s which is a pretty awful issue). I think that iOS 7 is a fine direction, but it seemed a little unfinished. But to avoid all the advances that have been made and to not be able to use iOS 7-only apps just because of an attachment to a retro-skeuomorphic design language? It doesn't seem at all worth it to me.

For some the ios7 look dated. And also for some their ios version is more advanced compared to ios7 because of all the superior tweaks installed which actually offer even more advanced functionality.

And let's don't forget all the annoying things in ios7. Why are you surprised someone would want to avoid being annoyed ?

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
What ever, this is what you said:

The first sentence takes into account that new devices comes on the market, in relation to this group, the number of old devices will become smaller over time, which you yourself assert.

Correct

In the very next sentence you say that the number will grow, it can't both grow and decline at the same time. Old devices, dies, get's lost, breaks down, thrown away etc over time.

This was in relation to the iOS installed on the device not being the latest.
ie - fragmentation increasing.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
This was in relation to the iOS installed on the device not being the latest.
ie - fragmentation increasing.

The number in question here is a share of all devices, a percent figure. Fragmentation relates to system compatibility only, not to colors on a chart.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
The number in question here is a share of all devices, a percent figure. Fragmentation relates to system compatibility only, not to colors on a chart.

It still shows you the percentage of what iOS is being used, which is what the main article is about, iOS usage, in particular iOS version 7.0.6

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
yes, but all the iOS7 devices are not the latest and greatest based on user choice, not because they are restricted from upgrading.

iOS6 would be all 3GS users, and they received an update. All other users on iOS6 who chose not to upgrade are the only ones that are SOL as there is no way for them to get a 6.1.6 update they must upgrade to 7.0.6 for the latest and greatest security.

for Android users their pie chart is fragmented but because that's all their phone manufacturer/carrier will implement.

Does it really matter why you have fragmentation? I still have not seen any value and/or proof this is a bad thing. Last I checked Android devices are the majority so how has fragmentation impacted them?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So now you are saying there are a large number? You can't have it both ways?

Of course, I can have it both ways, since we are talking about two different numbers in two different contexts.

The number of devices that can't upgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 7 is large in the context of the number of devices currently on iOS 6.

The number of people that "refuse to upgrade to iOS 7" is small in relation to the number of people on iOS 7.

Also how do you know the old devices are not being used anymore. You have a source? My iPhone 3G is still in use. I must be unique :rolleyes:

Common sense.

So again it's a large number. Isn't that what I said originally?

No, you said that the number of people "refusing to upgrade from iOS6 to iOS7" was a big number.

You've kept the thread going so long now I'm even getting confused :D
To put it in simple terms, the number of iDevices/people that won't or cannot upgrade to the latest iOS will grow. That was suppose to be what my original reply was about, but we have travelled down to the path of picking up mistakes in the way things have been comprehended.

No, not really. I've been trying to explain what I originally meant but you continue to find fault in my replies. The way this conversation has dragged on appears as though you thought I was trolling. Far from the truth. I was just making a general observation that over time the number of people not upgrading, for whatever reason, is growing. EOL and many other factors can/may cause this over time.

Wow, all this over word semantics :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are claiming to have misspoke in your original post. But instead of apologizing and clarifying, you accused the people that responded to what you actually said of being pedantic and focused on semantics.

Regardless of what you originally meant to say, iOS 7 is probably the fastest adoption of any major OS upgrade in history. Seems kinda silly to highlight those who haven't upgraded as significant.

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Does it really matter why you have fragmentation? I still have not seen any value and/or proof this is a bad thing. Last I checked Android devices are the majority so how has fragmentation impacted them?

OTA updates is the first and primary reasons. There is a HUGE security vulnerability in Android 4.1.x and lower, Google fixes this vulnerability in Android 4.2. The problem on the way they deploy their updates is that most users are still not running 4.2 so they are susceptible to this exploit.

from a developer's point of view it means that if I develop for Android I need to pick the biggest slice of the pie, so while there are new features in the latest 4.3 android, I must program to 2.3 if I want the largest base. If I choose 4.0 and above I'm throwing out well over 30% of users. That's where I see it being a problem.

I didn't lookup a pie chart this morning so the % value may be slightly different (it is Monday ;) )

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Regardless of what you originally meant to say, iOS 7 is probably the fastest adoption of any major OS upgrade in history. Seems kinda silly to highlight those who haven't upgraded as significant.

Maybe in a certain context, fragmentation is good. Tim Cook likes to say how they have the lowest fragmentation but think about it: Is it better to have 5 year old phones running the latest OS (and super slow and annoying) as opposed to the android phones who are running older versions but they remain fast because that version was created for that specific phone.

Kind of like ipad 1 with ios 3 compared to ipad with ios 5.

I personally have ios 5 on my ipad 1 because I made a compromise between speed and features. But people should be allowed to choose what they want. Speed or features.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Yes, if you are talking about a brand new install, perhaps, but that is far from a common case, so not something that someone would run into often or even sometimes, perhaps seldom at best. Using that as some sort of a generic comparison to how Windows does updates in general is somewhat disingenuous in a sense.

Yes, those were fresh installs. However, the issue exists if the user gets behind on the installs (for whatever reason), or if the user was never *actually* up to date because they made the mistake of believing it meant it was actually *done* the *first* time it said it was done.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Apple demo units not running 7.0.6

I was at the Apple store yesterday to see if the iPad mini was sluggish on iOS 7. Many demo iPads were not running 7.0.6. Some are. I mentioned to one blue shirt that the update was downloaded but not installed. He wanted to know what update?

There is no instruction to customers about the importance of installing the security patch.

Blue shirts said they were instructed to remove several apps from iPad mini to speed it up after the software install.

Question answered.

They are all talking about Steve. High praises. Talking about his keynotes and presentations. Previously if a customer mentioned Steve's name they were corrected.

It's all about Memory Lane there now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.