Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon-250x249.jpg
Apple may be rushing to make changes to its App Store in order to comply with an earlier FTC agreement that requires it to modify its in-app billing system, reports ZDNet. Apple has until March 31 to make the changes required by the FTC and may be trying to roll them out in the company's forthcoming iOS 7.1 update.

As part of this FTC settlement, Apple must modify its billing practices to obtain consumers' express consent before billing them for an in-app purchase. Apple also must provide customers with a way to easily withdraw this consent for future purchases.
While it might sound trivial, changing the App Store to obtain "consumers' express, informed consent" before billing them is a significant change. It involves fundamental changes to the App Store order flow and there are a lot of dependencies involved.

One source I spoke to says that it's taking Apple longer than expected to make the required changes. In order to meet the government's second criteria (the option to withdraw their consent at any time) Apple must require a password for all IAPs by default, and perhaps make a no-password window an option via settings.
These requirements likely necessitate some changes to Apple's iTunes payment processing system, which now needs to verify that consent was given before processing a payment. It may also require some modifications to iOS 7, including its Restrictions feature that already provides limits on in-app purchases by children, although some aspects of the update may be able to be deployed remotely.

These new in-app purchasing requirements have not been spotted in any iOS 7.1 beta releases, suggesting Apple is still implementing any necessary changes on the operating system side. ZDNet's source says the company would like to roll out the changes as part of iOS 7.1, but given word that iOS 7.1 is due "any day now" in order to support streaming of next week's SXSW iTunes Festival, it is possible that the in-app purchase changes could be pushed back to another minor iOS update before the end of the month if required.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly 'Scrambling' to Make Required Changes to In-App Purchase Policies

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
In-app purchases are annoying anyways. I try to avoid apps that employ them (or worse, require them).

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
All this fuss because of a few stupid kids and their irresponsible parents.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
All this fuss because of a few stupid kids and their irresponsible parents.

you've never had a 2 year old, have you?
there are silly games for little kids and there is no way you can explain to them not to click outside :) So, you let them play so you can either cook them a meal or do any necessity you have to do so its simply impossible to supervise your child all the time. (and by supervising I mean staring over their should and watching them play the game and making sure they don't click outside of their territory)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
iOS 7.1 is due "any day now" in order to support streaming of next week's SXSW iTunes Festival

I'm not sure why SXSW iTunes Festival streaming would require iOS 7.1.

The iTunes festival app has supported live streaming of the London iTunes Festival for at least the last couple of years, using iOS 6 (and maybe 5, IIRC?).

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I'm not sure why SXSW iTunes Festival streaming would require iOS 7.1.

The iTunes festival app has supported live streaming of the London iTunes Festival for at least the last couple of years, using iOS 6 (and maybe 5, IIRC?).

Having an application that requires a new updated OS is a way to get people to update their OS sooner.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
there are silly games for little kids and there is no way you can explain to them not to click outside :) So, you let them play so you can either cook them a meal or do any necessity you have to do so its simply impossible to supervise your child all the time. (and by supervising I mean staring over their should and watching them play the game and making sure they don't click outside of their territory)

I'm just saying that if you give them a device that you know fully well has your credit card details and one click purchasing turned on with no password protection on then it's your own fault if they rack up thousands of $$$ on there.

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003

You don't need to stand over their shoulder if you disable in-app purchases or even the iTunes store all together, or even just remove the 15-minute buffer and require a password for every single purchase you make.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
There ought to be an option on everyone's iTunes accounts that allows them to choose between being asked for a password before every purchase and only being asked after a certain period of time.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Sounds like a tough situation to be in for Apple. Three options:

1. Make the iTunes festival app compatible with 7.0, release 7.1 with the new IAP change
2. Release 7.1 as scheduled, release IAP changes in 7.1.1
3. Work 25 hours a day to get this in-app stuff implemented before the festival, release 7.1 with IAP changes

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You don't need to stand over their shoulder if you disable in-app purchases or even the iTunes store all together, or even just remove the 15-minute buffer and require a password for every single purchase you make.
Since many people aren't aware of their ability to personalize settings, making these options on by default would make a lot more sense. People really do need to do more research though if this is causing a significant issue.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I'm just saying that if you give them a device that you know fully well has your credit card details and one click purchasing turned on with no password protection on then it's your own fault if they rack up thousands of $$$ on there.

That's the point, though: there's no way to turn off one-click purchasing currently. Once you authorize a purchase once, it will allow any subsequent purchases without a password - at least until a time limit expires.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

I have had a 2yr old but my 2yr old never had an iPhone. Or any device with credit card info available with the push of a button. :eek: Maybe a device MADE for a 2 yr old would be more appropriate? Just sayin.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

People use cell phones as a babysitting device, maybe that's the problem.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Since many people aren't aware of their ability to personalize settings, making these options on by default would make a lot more sense. People really do need to do more research though if this is causing a significant issue.

That's because many people can't be bothered to find out. That's the price you pay for ignorance in some cases.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Great so after all these beta and all this assurance to make it stable. We get a last minute scramble to change code. Damn spoiled kids and their dumb parents... :mad:

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL

My two year old is seemingly unable to make purchases, without typing in the password (which, you know, he cannot)

While I agree with you, all these kids games with ads all over them is despicable and annoying, their presence isn't causing me to spend a bunch of money when the boy clicks on the ad. I honestly had no idea that the iPad could be making purchases without typing in passwords. Are you saying yours does?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
If the in app purchase changes have to wait for 7.1 and its App Store app, what does this mean for iOS 5, 6 and 7.06 devices? Will they no longer be able to use the App Store?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
That's the point, though: there's no way to turn off one-click purchasing currently. Once you authorize a purchase once, it will allow any subsequent purchases without a password - at least until a time limit expires.

Not sure which version of iOS you are using but if it's iOS7 then navigate thus;

Settings> General> Restrictions> In App Purchases> OFF, and/or.........

Settings> General> Restrictions> Allowed Content> Require Password> IMMEDIATELY.

There is a manual available which most choose not to download let alone read.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I know enough to know a 2 year old shouldn't be allowed to hold, and especially not left unattended, with a device made of glass and thin metal. Sounds like a family and children services, shattered glass and lacerations, neglect case waiting to happen.

What happened to hotwheels, GIjoe, TV, Nintendo, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.