Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qruzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Hello guys,

I am looking to upgrade the memory on my late 2011 Macbook Pro 13''. I've been looking around and have so far come up with these two possibilities:

Kingston ValueRAM SO DDR3-1333 SC - 8GB: (1)
http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Kingston-ValueRAM-SO-DDR3-1333-SC-8GB-2301708.html

Kingston Apple RAM SO DDR3-1333 SC - 8GB: (2)
http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Kingston-Apple-RAM-SO-DDR3-1333-SC-8GB-2329730.html

As far as the specifications go, i dont see any difference, but the pricedifference is huge (i am from Denmark, so dont mind not beeing able to read the stuff).

I am not sure if i have to go with the System Specific rams (2) or if i can just buy the cheeper ones (1).
Hope you can give me a hand in resolving this matter.

Regards,
qruzz

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hello guys,

I am looking to upgrade the memory on my late 2011 Macbook Pro 13''. I've been looking around and have so far come up with these two possibilities:

Kingston ValueRAM SO DDR3-1333 SC - 8GB: (1)
http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Kingston-ValueRAM-SO-DDR3-1333-SC-8GB-2301708.html

Kingston Apple RAM SO DDR3-1333 SC - 8GB: (2)
http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Kingston-Apple-RAM-SO-DDR3-1333-SC-8GB-2329730.html

As far as the specifications go, i dont see any difference, but the pricedifference is huge (i am from Denmark, so dont mind not beeing able to read the stuff).

I am not sure if i have to go with the System Specific rams (2) or if i can just buy the cheeper ones (1).
Hope you can give me a hand in resolving this matter.

Regards,
qruzz

I have had trouble with "cheap" RAM in my Macbook and then again in my 2011 MBP. I now stick to better quality RAM. I had some cheap Centon RAM and it was causing kernel panics. Yes kernel panics. I went back to the Apple RAM and never had another kernel panic. I then upgraded to better quality RAM and again have had no kernal panics. I contacted Centon for replacement and they blew me off. I'll never buy Centon again.

One thing I do recommend is that if you do buy RAM, make the time to put it in right away so if you do experience a problem you know about it now rather than weeks or months down the road when you get around to installing it. I wound up being stuck with that Centon RAM because I waited beyond the return policy to install it.

qruzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
I have had trouble with "cheap" RAM in my Macbook and then again in my 2011 MBP. I now stick to better quality RAM. I had some cheap Centon RAM and it was causing kernel panics. Yes kernel panics. I went back to the Apple RAM and never had another kernel panic. I then upgraded to better quality RAM and again have had no kernal panics. I contacted Centon for replacement and they blew me off. I'll never buy Centon again.

Thanks alot for the response r0k. I would't exactly say that the Kingston ValueRAM (1) are cheap, but they are still cheaper than the ones with Apple in the name (2). If your are from the states, the prices would be as following:

Kingston ValueRAM (1): 101 $
Kinston Apple RAM (2): 131 $

As you see there is a 30$ diffrence, and i just don't see the difference in the specifications to justify that price range (i am a student without unlimited funds). So i was wondering if there was any diffrence in them, exepted (2) having Apple in the name?

One thing I do recommend is that if you do buy RAM, make the time to put it in right away so if you do experience a problem you know about it now rather than weeks or months down the road when you get around to installing it. I wound up being stuck with that Centon RAM because I waited beyond the return policy to install it.

Thanks for the tip, i will make sure to install then right away to see if anything should be faulty or they are acting up.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thanks alot for the response r0k. I would't exactly say that the Kingston ValueRAM (1) are cheap, but they are still cheaper than the ones with Apple in the name (2). If your are from the states, the prices would be as following:

Kingston ValueRAM (1): 101 $
Kinston Apple RAM (2): 131 $

As you see there is a 30$ diffrence, and i just don't see the difference in the specifications to justify that price range (i am a student without unlimited funds). So i was wondering if there was any diffrence in them, exepted (2) having Apple in the name?

Thanks for the tip, i will make sure to install then right away to see if anything should be faulty or they are acting up.

Since the difference in price isn't that much, I'd go for the cheap(er) RAM, if and only if it doesn't involve you having to pay restocking or pay to ship it back if you have problems. This prevents you paying even more for the good stuff after finding the cheap(er) stuff didn't work out.

qruzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2014
Since the difference in price isn't that much, I'd go for the cheap(er) RAM, if and only if it doesn't involve you having to pay restocking or pay to ship it back if you have problems. This prevents you paying even more for the good stuff after finding the cheap(er) stuff didn't work out.

Allright, thanks alot r0k!
I will try to buy one of the cheap(er) ones (in Denmark everything is more expencise) and see if it cooparates, then just ship it back if it is nok.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hello

Allright, thanks alot r0k!
I will try to buy one of the cheap(er) ones (in Denmark everything is more expencise) and see if it cooparates, then just ship it back if it is nok.

Hey! I bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komputerbay-SODIMM-1333Mhz-Laptop-Memory/dp/B0031GK3OI
We have the same model of MBP, and these RAM sticks have served me well. Have never had any issues (actually less issues than the official Apple memory), and they run great! (same speed and latency as Apple memory, but with 8 gigs). + They are cheaper than the ones you found, going for about 480 kr. (486,9 to be exact.) As you can see from the Amazon screenshot, they are tested with Mac OS X, although they are not marketed as Apple memory. Komputer Bay also sell Apple branded memory, which is essentially the same but 500 kr more expensive... (there is absolutely no difference whatsoever, other than naming)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.