Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBlackLabEdge

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Ok, I've only been in the Mac world since August.

Been a longtime user of Excel, but have never really thought that Excel - Word worked well "together". i.e. either I just have never learned this aspect or something - I don't want a link, but still want to maintain ability to change data & recalculate.

I returned to my old job after being away a year, & they are using several "documents" that contain numeric data that has to be currency formatted, & some simple arithmetic performed.

I am finding it much easier to format such a document in Pages than in either Word or Excel. I know I can cut & paste from Word to Excel, creating a link, then break the link (or not). Text boxes in Excel just aren't the perfect thing to work with.

What I ended up doing doing the documents in pages, exporting to xlsx format & emailing to my work address.

Numbers & Pages aren't available at work, surely I'm missing something with Office????????

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Ok, I've only been in the Mac world since August.

Been a longtime user of Excel, but have never really thought that Excel - Word worked well "together". i.e. either I just have never learned this aspect or something - I don't want a link, but still want to maintain ability to change data & recalculate.

I returned to my old job after being away a year, & they are using several "documents" that contain numeric data that has to be currency formatted, & some simple arithmetic performed.

I am finding it much easier to format such a document in Pages than in either Word or Excel. I know I can cut & paste from Word to Excel, creating a link, then break the link (or not). Text boxes in Excel just aren't the perfect thing to work with.

What I ended up doing doing the documents in pages, exporting to xlsx format & emailing to my work address.

Numbers & Pages aren't available at work, surely I'm missing something with Office????????
Can you simply maintain the data in Excel and then paste with Keep Source Formatting? Then make your Word doc read only so people don't try to update the data there? Maybe I'm not understanding your question.

Also, Numbers and Pages are available on PC via the browser, so that might be an option.

TheBlackLabEdge

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
To be more exact, it's actually just a memo that's used to inform the customer of the different descriptions & different amounts they are receiving in a wire, so the desc. & amounts change with each wire.

I don't have a need to "maintain" the data - once the memo is completed it is printed to pdf & emailed to the customer. Tables in word don't do the arithmetic or maintain the formatting.

I don't have the "option" of installing different software because of the type of institution we are. I just can't believe the process is so simple in Pages & I have to jump through hoops in Excel & Word - or maybe it's user headspace.

TheBlackLabEdge

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Looks like in Office for Mac 2011 I can paste it as formatted text, but that still requires opening both excel & word - hmmmmmm.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Looks like in Office for Mac 2011 I can paste it as formatted text, but that still requires opening both excel & word - hmmmmmm.

Yup. Welcome to Microsoft document management. You should be able to embed Excel worksheets in Word docs, but if you need to embed more than one worksheet from an Excel workbook, then you'll run into problems. Maybe the latest versions fix that, but I doubt it.

TheBlackLabEdge

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Well, I did find out on Excel 2010 @ work I can embed, but it's still "awkward". Maybe 2013 & the next version of Mac will be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.