Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Apple CEO Tim Cook for lunch yesterday at Apple HQ in Cupertino, California.

Netanyahu is traveling through the United States for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and also met the founders of popular messaging app WhatsApp as well as the president of Stanford University.

netanyahucook.png
While it's not clear what Cook and Netanyahu could have talked about, video from the event has now emerged on the prime minister's YouTube channel (via 9to5Mac).

Cook has met with the leaders of nations before, as he met Turkish President Abdullah Gül in February prior to the opening of a new Istanbul Apple Store and has met President Obama on multiple occasions.

In recent years, Apple has seen its relationship with Israel grow as the company has acquired Israeli-based companies PrimeSense and Anobit in addition to hiring for a new research and development center in Haifa, Israel.

Article Link: Video of Tim Cook's Lunch Meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Gives Inside Look at Apple HQ

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
To put it into perspective, Apples 1Q 2014 revenue of $57.6B is 23% of Israel's 2011 GDB of $242.9B. :eek:

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Tim seems to be really cosy with political leaders and I'm not sure if I like it.

He's meeting them because of either business or because they feel that apple is a company worth checking out given its stature in the field of consumer electronics..Steve Jobs also met world leaders as CEO..

steve-jobs-dmitry-medvedev.jpg

Steve-Jobs-President-Barack-Obama-Mark-Zuckerberg-Silicon-Valley-Dinner.jpg

UK+Prime+Minister+Tony+Blair+Visits+California+wgx5JSUE-qql.jpg

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Bibi seemed to be more at ease at Apple Headquarters than he was at the Obama White House.

I do applaud that he, as the leader of his country, is focusing this trip to bolster business for HIS nation. How often do we hear about US Presidents actually doing that?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Bibi seemed to be more at ease at Apple Headquarters than he was at the Obama White House.

I do applaud that he, as the leader of his country, is focusing this trip to bolster business for HIS nation. How often do we hear about US Presidents actually doing that?

Google "Obama + business" and you'll have your answer. Which is, "We hear about it all of the time."

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Google "Obama + business" and you'll have your answer. Which is, "We hear about it all of the time."

Obama goes to places like Japan just #1 focused on promoting American businesses? No. I don't hear about this.

US Presidents go to other countries often, but usually the last thing they talk about is trying to promote and bolster the American companies. The Presidents go abroad usually with diplomacy and military alliances to discuss.

Trust me, Obama will probably visit Ukraine and Germany soon. But he will be talking about diplomacy and trade sanctions against Russia and military cooperation with EU. The last thing he will talk about is about US businesses or ways to improve American economy or American exports.

If you had read more about the Benjamin Netanyahu visit to California, Netanyahu goes to the USA many times. But this time, he is here focused on promoting the businesses of his countrymen. And that is why he visits Apple, because Apple is an example of a big American company that is extremely interested in Israeli technology companies. Apple even acquired a couple of Israeli startup tech firms. Netanyahu this week is spending more time with California (Silicon Valley) companies than spending time in the White House.

Bskippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
It's a fake... The footage is too focused! Clearly a rendering! It's not blurry enough!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Steve wore jeans to visit world leaders. I thought that was a major no no.
At least Cook does not do this.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Meeting with apple and has a YouTube channel to post it to immediately. Netanyahu's PR team must be working overtime. Such a hip and cool politician :barf:

It's about promoting business and technology. Not politics.

It's also not coincidental that Apple has acquired a couple of small Israel tech firms, and PM Netanyahu obviously is now aware of the importance of those small Israel startups to the American tech industry.

Netanyahu is not popular to some people… but let's try not to get this into the PRSI so quickly, mkay?

----------

Steve wore jeans to visit world leaders. I thought that was a major no no.
At least Cook does not do this.

I'm sure none of the world leaders minded too much. But if SJ had worn jeans in the presence of The Queen of Great Britain, Monarch of the House of Windsor.…. well that might have been something else.

I don't recall if SJ ever did meet the Queen. I know Ive was knighted, not sure if she is the one that presides over the knighting ceremony.

If I had been a Photoshop expert I would do a photomanupulation of a grungy Steve Jobs in jeans, greeting and shaking the hands of a shirtless Vladimir Putin. That picture would be awkward… and priceless.:D

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Tim seems to be really cosy with political leaders and I'm not sure if I like it.

I imagine it went down like this:
Tim's exec. assistant: "Mr. Cook, Netanyahu is doing a Silicon Valley tour while he's in America and would like to stop by Apple."
Tim: "Okay, sure, set it up. Let's do a light lunch and meet & greet."

What is Cook going to do, refuse to meet with the PM of a foreign country which Apple does business in and owns a couple companies in? It's just smart business, personal politics aside.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
FWIW: Apple is a heavily Democrat founded Corporation. Steve offered Apple to be the PR behind Obama's 2008/2012 campaigns.

Anyone pointing out that the President came to Silicon Valley as somehow equivalent to Israel's Prime Minister is an misguided ass.

Israel's Prime Minister is here to touch base with Israeli acquisitions by Apple and to attempt to gleen any information Apple is doing with Russia, Turkey and any other player in Europe or Asia.

The day this country stops pandering to any one nation in the Middle East over all the rest will be a day we can stop having excuses to rob the nation of wealth and give it to a few Cons who have nothing but Oil and War profiteering in their eyes.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My first thought after reading this was to wonder if Tim might have political aspirations. Then I realized he is already running a company that is larger than several countries. And he does not have to go through a campaign process. So probably not. Then I looked at the photo again and thought of House of Cards. Now that thought was a bit more worrisome. :eek:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What surprised me about the video was how much that Apple conference room looks like an Apple store. They really do extend their design ethic across all aspects of the company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.