Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I have a quick question, hopefully someone can answer.

The 6 may be my first iPhone (ever! :eek:), but not my first iOS device or Mac.

If I were to buy it direct from Apple Retail Store, do they offer T-Mobile as a carrier? Or should I just go directly and buy it from T-Mo?

And please don't try to talk me into Verizon or AT&T as being superior. I've been a very satisfied T-Mobile customer for ages. Besides I can maintain an employee discount if I stick with T-Mo.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have a quick question, hopefully someone can answer.

The 6 may be my first iPhone (ever! :eek:), but not my first iOS device or Mac.

If I were to buy it direct from Apple Retail Store, do they offer T-Mobile as a carrier? Or should I just go directly and buy it from T-Mo?

If you buy it from the Apple Store you will have to buy it at full priced. I'm 99% sure they have T-Mobile versions, but even then, the GSM unlocked/AT&T/Verizon models bought at full priced will work on T-Mobile so that's not really the problem.

Only T-Mobile will do the equipment pricing plan though. You will have to go to them if you're not planning on shelling big bucks up front for an iPhone.

And please don't try to talk me into...

Do you think we're really that bad? :p

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
If you buy it from the Apple Store you will have to buy it at full priced. I'm 99% sure they have T-Mobile versions, but even then, the GSM unlocked/AT&T/Verizon models bought at full priced will work on T-Mobile so that's not really the problem.

Only T-Mobile will do the equipment pricing plan though. You will have to go to them if you're not planning on shelling big bucks up front for an iPhone.

OK thanks for that info. Hmmm, so if I buy direct from Apple, I can only get T-Mobile if I buy full-priced unlocked.

That's a LOT of money up front…. but I might be OK with that if I knew that I would be saving money in the long run. I'm not sure, will I really save money in the long run if I bought an unlocked one upfront cost? I don't have a previous iPhone plan to compare, so I don't know if I'm getting a good deal or not.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
OK thanks for that info. Hmmm, so if I buy direct from Apple, I can only get T-Mobile if I buy full-priced unlocked.

That's a LOT of money up front…. but I might be OK with that if I knew that I would be saving money in the long run. I'm not sure, will I really save money in the long run if I bought an unlocked one upfront cost? I don't have a previous iPhone plan to compare, so I don't know if I'm getting a good deal or not.

In the long run, they are roughly the same price. Apple sells the 16GB 5S for $649 and T-Mobile sells it for $648. Only difference is that T-Mobile will finance your phone at 0% so you're not paying the full price all at once - but rather, in 24 payments.

It's up to you - whether you would rather pay it all up front or take a slightly higher monthly bill (EIP with a 5S would add about $27 to your bill each month).

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yeah, Apple doesn't do payment plans online or in their Retail Stores for TMo, AT&T or VZW. Buy out right and sign a new contract are the only options at this point in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.