Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
As a student I need to save cash where I can, I have always went refurb and would be interested in the 2013 iMac refurbs.
Unfortunately although they are always in sale in the us refurb store they have yet to hit the uk stores at all with many 2012 models still for sale.
The savings over buying new are always really good but I have to wonder from past experiences everyone keeps saying it would have been early feb they typically pop up now we are in march, should I wait or should I just settle for a 2012 model, I need a machine that will last a few years and handle graphic intensive programs.

DavidG328

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As a student I need to save cash where I can, I have always went refurb and would be interested in the 2013 iMac refurbs.
Unfortunately although they are always in sale in the us refurb store they have yet to hit the uk stores at all with many 2012 models still for sale.
The savings over buying new are always really good but I have to wonder from past experiences everyone keeps saying it would have been early feb they typically pop up now we are in march, should I wait or should I just settle for a 2012 model, I need a machine that will last a few years and handle graphic intensive programs.

How soon do you need one? If you need one quickly, and the 2012 will work with your graphic intensive programs, then go for it.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
If you're a student at a UK university or school the education discount is pretty much on par with any deal you'll get from the refurb store, plus if you order through Apple's online store via the education routing you'll get 3 years of Applecare (minus the phone support) thrown in for free.

Alternatively, look for a Late 2012 refurb - the performance difference between the late 2012 and the current 2013 iMac is not that much if you're on a budget.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
because my college isn't listed as an institution the discount is really minor that's why I want refurb, i wish they would get some 2013 models in as for apple this is considerably later than the last few years. I know the 2012 and 2013 model have considerable performance differences.

DavidG328

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Portland, OR
because my college isn't listed as an institution the discount is really minor that's why I want refurb, i wish they would get some 2013 models in as for apple this is considerably later than the last few years. I know the 2012 and 2013 model have considerable performance differences.

What are you doing in school that you might require the performance of the 2013 versus the 2012?

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010

Apply for an NUS extra card/ account, hopefully they'll recognise your institution. Then go to the NUS extra site and search for apple, log in and it'll give you a link to the apple store with the 15% off. Computers will also include a 3 year warranty.

I'm currently doing a professional qualification through a private college and NUS recognised that no problem and I was able to get an NUS extra card.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apply for an NUS extra card/ account, hopefully they'll recognise your institution. Then go to the NUS extra site and search for apple, log in and it'll give you a link to the apple store with the 15% off. Computers will also include a 3 year warranty.

I'm currently doing a professional qualification through a private college and NUS recognised that no problem and I was able to get an NUS extra card.

thank you ill definitely try that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.