Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I have Synology DS112J NAS drive. I use a Mac Mini, Windows Laptop, PS3, IPad & Smart phone.

At the moment I use a wireless cable modem router provided by my ISP. It is only 10/100.

I want to hard wire my Mac, NAS, PS3 and laptop with cat6 and have wireless access to use my iPad and smart phone.

Am not sure how I go about doing this. As my ISP router is only 10/100, I think I would normally add a 10/100/1000 switch and turn off wireless function on my router. But then I wouldn't get access to internet with my iPad and smart phone ?

So my understanding is that I perhaps need a wireless 10/100/1000 router with 4 ports connected to my ISP router operating in modem mode so that I can function my Mac, Laptop, PS3 all hard wired then use my iPad and smart phone wirelessly.

Hope I've made sense in this post. Basically I want to transfer large files on Mac and Laptop quickly and use smart phone and iPad wireless.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
leave your router set up as it is now.

run an ethernet cable from your router to a gigabit switch. (10/100/1000)

run ethernet cables to your computers to the new switch.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
See if your ISP's modem/router supports gateway mode. If so then get a nice WiFi router such as the Apple Airport Extreme.

PS that DS112j makes for a great Time Machine backup among other things.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
See if your ISP's modem/router supports gateway mode. If so then get a nice WiFi router such as the Apple Airport Extreme.

PS that DS112j makes for a great Time Machine backup among other things.

Quite a lot more money then I'd wanna spend. Think I'll go the switch route.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
If all your worried about is high speed transfers between hard wired devices. Just buy a Gbit switch and connect all your systems to it. Then all the hard wire connections are gigabit. You can still use your wireless function off of your supplied ISP combo, and being your only concerned about smart phone and ipad wirelessly, you don't need the extra bandwidth for them.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
You can connect the Gigabit switch to the ISP supplied router and then transfers to and from the NAS to a device on the LAN should be Gigabit. However, if you are interested in a relatively affordable router with Gigabit Ethernet, have a look at a refurbed Extreme!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme-base-station

Am quite interesting that refurbished unit. Am in UK and it's seems like a good price here too. But I think it only comes with 3 ports ?

I need it for,
NAS Drive
PS3
Laptop
Mac mini

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Am quite interesting that refurbished unit. Am in UK and it's seems like a good price here too. But I think it only comes with 3 ports ?

I need it for,
NAS Drive
PS3
Laptop
Mac mini

However they are Gigabit ports. Also, you can hook up a Gigabit Ethernet switch to it. I am not sure what the cost of a refurbed model is in the United Kingdom though. Ensure that you buy it from Apple directly rather than a third party as generally Apple's refurb standards greatly differ from a third party's.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
However they are Gigabit ports. Also, you can hook up a Gigabit Ethernet switch to it. I am not sure what the cost of a refurbed model is in the United Kingdom though. Ensure that you buy it from Apple directly rather than a third party as generally Apple's refurb standards greatly differ from a third party's.

I don't see the point of getting the Apple extreme then adding a gigabit switch when I can just use the switch into my isp wireless router.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
The Extreme will also probably benefit your network as most ISP provided gear is cheap and low performing.

I see your point. But I don't really want to many gadgets cluttering up on my tv cabinet. Maybe I should just a just get a decent wifi router with ethernet port instead of a switch .

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I see your point. But I don't really want to many gadgets cluttering up on my tv cabinet. Maybe I should just a just get a decent wifi router with ethernet port instead of a switch .

You can do that. However I can guarantee the Extreme even with a switch would look fantastic in your TV cabinet. Let us know what you want to do and we will be more than helpful in finding you some options...

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I'll start with getting a switch first as they're inexpensive and with the number ethernet ports i need. Then look to getting a router later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.