Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
So far, Best use of a drone ever. Absolutely beautiful footage, and seeing the mother and calf whales migrating together.. Makes all other personal issues someone has seem feeble.

I'll let NPR set up the story:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...tches-video-of-stampeding-dolphins-whale-calf

WATCH: Drone Catches Video Of Stampeding Dolphins, Whale Calf
By Scott Neuman
March 4, 2014 2:35pm

Dave Anderson, who runs whale-watching charters out of Dana Point, Calif., used a small camera-equipped drone to capture video of a "mega-pod" of hundreds of common dolphins as well as three gray whale migrating off the coast of San Clemente. In a separate sortie, the drone returned footage of a family of humpback whales off of Maui.

Anderson, who runs Capt. Dave's Dolphin and Whale Safari produced the footage into this stunning five-minute video.

According to AOL Travel:
"He filmed off a small inflatable boat, launching and catching the quadcopter drone by hand, risking injury from the four propeller blades or loss of the drone."

"He actually lost one drone in January on takeoff when it nicked his small VHF radio antenna on the 14-foot rigid inflatable he was filming from and it went into the water."

Enjoy.

BL.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
We had a super-pod of pacific whitesided dolphins in the waters around here last year. Several of my friends saw it from a BC Ferry - and they were gob-smacked. I got to see it (at a distance) in the Discovery Passage off Campbell River. It is an unbelievable thing to see in person. What totally floored was the sheer size of the pod... I could see it in front of Quadra Island, and so got a sense of the scale. It was about 5km long (about 3 miles). That's 5km of a solid mass of dolphins spouting and leaping and doing dolphin things. I don't know if somebody managed to get a drone over it ... but I'd like to think so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.