Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tasdisr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I am new to the whole iPad thing as I have always had an Android tablet. Today my wife surprised me with a new in box iPad 4 with 128GB of memory and is a wifi / cellular model. She paid $649.00 delivered and is covered by Apples one year warranty. Just curious did she get a good deal?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I am new to the whole iPad thing as I have always had an Android tablet. Today my wife surprised me with a new in box iPad 4 with 128GB of memory and is a wifi / cellular model. She paid $649.00 delivered and is covered by Apples one year warranty. Just curious did she get a good deal?

Yes, it was a pretty good deal. Even refurbished, they are going for $729 on Apple's website, and in my experience Apple's refurbs are one of the lowest prices in town as far as new-in-box goes.

tasdisr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Thanks, that is good to know. Already liking it more than my android tablet.

tasdisr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I was perfectly happy with my Asus android tablet, until my wife decided she wanted a tablet of her own. She was pretty much sold on an iPad since her sister has one and she was able to play around with it.

So after two trips to the Apple store we ended up getting her a 32b mini. Well after playing around with it a while and telling her how nice it was she said I should get one, but I said I'll just keep my Asus. A few days later a package for me was delivered and knowing I did not order anything had no idea what it was until she told me to open it. Nice surprise!

No complaints about my Android tablet, it has served me well. But the iPad is much nicer!

redmamoth

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
The iPad 4 is a great buy at the moment, especially with all the memory issues that 64bit processor in the Air has caused. If you can live without the thinner/lighter Air, the 4 is great!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I still have my 4....Non- cellular and with 64GB of memory..You got a good deal, and you have the good one of the previous generations...can't afford to replace mine yet, but it eats everything I throw at it, the screen is superb and it's still a very powerful iPad..In short, enjoy!:)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The iPad 4 is a great buy at the moment, especially with all the memory issues that 64bit processor in the Air has caused. If you can live without the thinner/lighter Air, the 4 is great!

False statement. iOS 7.1 fixes "memory issues". iOS just needs optimised a little for all iOS devices - there is nothing wrong with the iPad Air.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I tried a refurb ipad 4....price was good but ipad air is waaaay better.

tasdisr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Yes, ny wife knows the way to my heart! I am really enjoying the ipad.
Very intuitive, fast and easy to use.

Like I said earlier, I still like my android tablet even though it was getting kind of slow, but I wiped all the data on it yesterday and put it back to its original state and installed a few astronomy related apps on it. This is what the wife and I will use to take outside to use with our telescope, so it still has some life left!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
False statement. iOS 7.1 fixes "memory issues". iOS just needs optimised a little for all iOS devices - there is nothing wrong with the iPad Air.

Let me expand upon this.

iOS 7.0.x has memory leaks that will slowly use up available memory as you use the tablet. Eventually, memory becomes very constrained. Safari tabs start reloading all the time, apps crash, and so on.

Finally, the system runs so low on memory that the tablet crashes completely, and reboots.

This is a general iOS 7.0.x bug on 64 bit. It doesn't seem to affect 32 bit tablets. It has nothing to do with 32 or 64 bit memory consumption, it has everything to do with a BUG in the 64 bit version of the code in iOS 7.0.x.

This is fixed in iOS 7.1 and I've not seen the problem at all on the beta. Worry not about having an iPad Air!

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012

You should properly "repay" your wife back, if you know what I mean;)

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
For that price, I'm sure she got it on groupon. They were doing a sale about a week or two ago for the 128 and 64 GB cellular models. Good score on her part!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.