Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achtung515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Today I went to hook up my new imac to my Sony nsx 40gt1 for a second display.

Seemed to be a bit more difficult than I thought it would be.

I'm using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and then running an hdmi to the input on the tv.

As a side note. This is a Sony branded google tv.

When I hook it up. It finds it bit then the screen on my mac continues to blink every 10 seconds or so finding the second display and losing the second display then finding it over and over again.

As a control I used the same connectors to connect a simple Samsung monitor. This works without an issue.

So I am assuming it has something to do with the Google tv software. But creeping around on the Internet I find that many people have used these as monitors, though the feedback on doing it with a mac is very limited.

Has anyone attempted this, ran into similar issues and found resolutions?

achtung515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
As an update -

Google tv won't let you mess with some picture settings unless the input is connected.

I was patient and managed to be able to grab that option (settings - picture and sound - screen adjustment) for a brief second while it was connected before it disconnected. I then turned off all of google tvs auto screen adjustments options.

Mac is now connected and seems to be working. I power cycled both and they booted up connected just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.