Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

SlatePro TechDesk Features Built-In Docks for iOS Devices, Air Vents for Macs

The SlatePro TechDesk is a new Kickstarter project featuring a desk that has been designed with built-in docks and cutouts to accommodate several different Apple devices. It comes with multiple display docks that are able to hold an iPad, iPhone, or other mobile device, and air vents in the middle of the desk offer continual cooling for MacBooks.

Designed to fit any size computer or laptop, from a MacBook to an iMac, the desk also comes equipped with a heavy duty mousepad, a filing rack, a pen dock, and a recessed cup holder. There are also built-in cutouts for cords to keep everything organized.

Quote:
The SlatePro's surface is cut from pure, premium bamboo and protected by a sheet of clear acrylic. It's super strong, very light weight, and it will support your computer with ease. The desk's steel legs are completely hand-crafted. They create the perfect height and are made by some of the best metal workers in the USA.
Nathan Mummert, the SlatePro's creator, was also behind the Slate Mobile AirDesk, a successful Kickstarter project that featured a portable lap desk.

Some early pricing tiers of the SlatePro have already sold out, but interested backers are still able to pre-order a desk for $448 on Kickstarter. The first desks are expected to ship in May of 2014, while orders made now will ship in June or July.

Article Link: SlatePro TechDesk Features Built-In Docks for iOS Devices, Air Vents for Macs
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:02 PM   #2
AT06
macrumors 6502

*rushes to kick starter to order one
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:05 PM   #3
snebes
macrumors 6502

Not my cup of tea.... the vents would annoy me and it seems rather small...
snebes is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502

Its a nice idea, but there is so much variablily in what people require for the layout of their desk that can a non-bespoke product ever set up the right desk configuration built in?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:08 PM   #5
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

That's horridly designed. I'll stick with my Ikea Galant thank you very much.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

While first acknowledging that aesthetic taste is an individual matter...for me that is an astoundingly unattractive piece of "furniture".

I'm sure that there will be others who disagree, and that is perfectly reasonable...but $500 for THAT!?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Zxxv
macrumors 6502a

Those slots will be dust and muck magnets. Yuck. hard to clean.over priced ill thought out junk
Zxxv is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:10 PM   #8
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
While first acknowledging that aesthetic taste is an individual matter...for me that is an astoundingly unattractive piece of "furniture".

I'm sure that there will be others who disagree, and that is perfectly reasonable...but $500 for THAT!?
Agreed. And yet, it'll be funded you'll see.. Edit: Oh, seems like old news by now. It is indeed overly funded.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:10 PM   #9
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

What's the point of the vents? Are people's MBPs overheating?
WestonHarvey1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:11 PM   #10
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

You know, my daily desk is usually a stack of sheet rock or a bunch of 2x10s between two sawhorses. Amazing that they can hold Apple products after seeing this.
ReallyBigFeet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:11 PM   #11
Broojo02
macrumors member

Not too keen on the air vents as I can see random feet of my Macbook getting "stuck" in the holes. Cool to have built in docks but I like to move my mobile devices around.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:14 PM   #12
rdlink
macrumors 68000

First of all, I also find it unattractive. Second, if you have an iMac you just have a bunch of ugly holes in the middle of your desk underneath your wireless keyboard to drop things into.

Third, what's a mouse...?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:18 PM   #13
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502

love having access to two lasers and three CNC tables at work, save me a few bucks on something like this :P
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:18 PM   #14
seamer
macrumors 6502

I see a whole mess coming out of this if you spill anything on it (which happens, despite how careful you are).

It also wasn't clear to me if the cutouts have actual power capability or just holding stuff that is already fully charged. Could be a good way to build an induction charging station, though.
seamer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:18 PM   #15
macguy90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

I couldn't agree more! I don't think I'd pay $99 for this desk, let alone $500! The design is really quite horrible, in my opinion.
macguy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:20 PM   #16
09sroyal
macrumors member

Isn't worth $450, I wouldn't even trust it to support a cup of coffee

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Third, what's a mouse...?
Something that wouldn't work with all the holes in that desk
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:21 PM   #17
The Doctor11
macrumors 68020

Um... The cup holders cool
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:23 PM   #18
albeik
macrumors regular

My problem is that, even though I have a pretty clean desk, I never place my devices in the same place every time. and have holes and grooves in the table just seem to force placement on you... pass.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:25 PM   #19
aajeevlin
macrumors regular

ikea table $50, borrow or even BUY a drill $50-70, drill a few holes. This table is not worth the $350+. This table is at best <$100 to make, you are paying 300-400% apple tax.
aajeevlin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:31 PM   #20
mmendoza27
macrumors regular

Everyone should just buy an Ikea Galant (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49837866/). I just bought one, it's huge and highly customized. You can keep it simple or add on extensions. I got one of the larger ones and it's still cheaper than this desk, although not made in the U.S.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:31 PM   #21
Cameront9
macrumors 6502a

Numerous problems with this. On the kickstarter page, they show the power cord for a MBP going through one of the heat vents...right where it would dangle in-between your legs. Cord should go out the back so it doesn't do that.

Also, the rubber feet of Macbooks look like they would sit/fall in the heat vent holes, meaning the surface of the computer would touch the desk, meaning that it would actually be LESS efficient and make your computer run hotter. Not to mention annoyances with having one/two of the rubber feet in a heat vent and the others outside.

I'm pretty sure the macbook's cooling system is designed to work best on a flat, solid desk, not one with holes. Did they do any heat testing on this?

If the holes really do improve things, then they should try making them small so the rubber feet of Macbooks don't fall through. As others have said--if you have an iMac or a Mac Mini, what's the point of this desk?

The biggest flaw, for me personally, is that when I close the computer, I can't actually use this as a real desk! You can't write on it without putting something down to cover up the holes first. As a writer that likes writing longhand sometimes, that's a no-go.
Cameront9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:32 PM   #22
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Why do people think that "Handcrafted" standard parts are desirable?

Handcrafting is only important if there is something unique about each unit that the crafter produces. The legs should be machine crafted to make sure they are as close to identical as possible.

A handcrafted sculpture would be nice, but desk legs? Way to raise the price unnecessarily.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:32 PM   #23
taxiapple
macrumors regular

Unbelievable!

A desk with holes in it, bizarre.

Be interesting to see how many they sell.
taxiapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:36 PM   #24
Ungibbed
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ungibbed Send a message via Yahoo to Ungibbed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor11 View Post
Um... The cup holders cool
Pretty much it's only redeeming feature.

The idea is great and all but not all people work alike in the same way. With various devices
In preset location. With my setup, this desk would never work. The desk I bought off Craigslist for $60 was and still is, perfect with room for both my MBP and 27" ACD. Even with such items that take up considerable space, I don't have air holes taking up valuable room when not using my keyboard and mouse.
Ungibbed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:43 PM   #25
wikiverse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
What's the point of the vents? Are people's MBPs overheating?
When I'm rendering video my mbp gets hot enough to burn me.
wikiverse is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion