Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I updated and clarified the Watercooled systems, and nomenclature. I further emphasised the PC-3200 point for the XServe units, as they do not use PC2-3200 DDR2 modules, but those obscure, HD PC-3200 EEC 2GB modules, that are nigh-impossible to find at any reasonable price.

I actually own 2.7GHz systems, and somehow forgot that they were in the watercooled lot, probably because I have never had a single problem with their cooling system. (That only proves that my dotage is upon me.)

If only Apple had made a quad-core 2.7GHz, or 3.0GHz model, as their final curtain call on the series, I would be much happier. The side-step to 2.5GHz for the quad-G5, makes it seem as if it is less powerful than the dual-2.7 to viewers, who often look at a raw number, with no real understanding of what it means. The benchmarks are still not dramatically higher than the dual-2.7, as you might anticipate, from what I have seen, but they are better, overall.

I honestly think that manufacturers should use ratings other than clock timing, for advertisements on their products, as the same number can be devastatingly different, on different architectures, and different applications of the technology.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
I think Apple had already reached the highest possible speed, still guaranteeing enough cooling. Also having the power consumption in mind.

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
If the partnership between Apple and IBM continued, they could have advanced the POWER4 architecture a bit further.

Power2PC

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
Hello, if this forum is at all still active I would like to inform someone that I have been working on a consept 3D printable AIO bracket for late 05 powermac G5s. The cooler of which I have tested is the Corsair H60 original model. The bracket allows specific Corsair PC liquid coolers to be mounted to air cooled G5s, mounting the radiator has not been figured out as of yet. The thingaverse link can be found here: (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5171233), the page is still a WIP as there is missing images and instructions.

I have also been studying the IBM technical documentation for the PowerPC 970 MP, found here: (http://datasheets.chipdb.org/IBM/PowerPC/970/PowerPC-970MP.pdf), pages: 20, 21, 43, 52, 53 are of note in terms of potential overclocking and multiplier modifications. If anyone knows of the System Chipset dataset please don’t hesitate to post it here.

Reactions: PowerfulEra

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
Would love to see a quad version of it. Just imagine doing something like this on the quad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.